The Student Room Group

Do atheist sometimes wonder that god might just exist?

Ever asked yourself who created the Big Bang theory?
I know the BBT is backed up by ridiculous amount of evidence but atheists think that there’s no evidence that god exists. But don’t you think the BBT itself is an evidence that god exists??

The universe obviously had a start but don’t you ever wonder who caused it. No scientist or atheist can have an explanation for the sudden explosion of light and matter.

Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes such as our mind, gravity etc.. that does not mean it doesn’t exist?

Just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean He doesn’t exist?

*I’m just asking out of curiosity and I do not mean to be offensive in anyway*

Scroll to see replies

There's thousands of gods that you, sir, do not believe in. We atheists just take that 1 god further. Ever wonder that your god might just be a myth, like santa or the tooth fairy?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I know the BBT is backed up by ridiculous amount of evidence but atheists think that there’s no evidence that god exists. But don’t you think the BBT itself is an evidence that god exists??

One of the key proponents of the Big Bang theory was a Catholic priest, Georges Lemaitre, who one would imagine wasn't an atheist. Maybe he thought it was evidence of God (never really looked into it so I have no idea what he thought)?

But to the wider question... no. Or at least, not a 'God' in the sense that modern organised religions promote a God. Could some 'being' that exists outside our Universe have been responsible for its creation through the widely held 'scientific' method? Possibly (by that I mean the very tiniest possibility), but that wouldn't be a 'God' in the way theists see a God, and it certainly wouldn't even know we exist. It definitely wouldn't have sent sons/prophets to come and have a chat with us.
(edited 4 years ago)
tbh i just kinda think that we don't care about his existence, but in discussions i lean mostly towards 'god' not existing, if not fully. But yeah i have thought about 'god' being real or not but i just don't really care about believing in a superior 'thing'. Also i quote 'god' and most of the time i don't cap it because i think of it to be more of a thing, cuz u never know, 'god' could be peppa pig :danceboy:
Not really, the thing is, no-one has actually experienced universe creation, so anyone who claims they know what or who created the universe or even that the universe was created is quite simply lying, and doesn’t know what it means to actually hold “knowledge” in any meaningful sense. Also the idea that the Big Bang theory is in any way evidence for a creator is simply false- it could simply be the case that the universe was never created, but has always existed, perhaps in a constant loop of expansion and retraction, who knows? No-one, because us humans don’t have the answer to everything! Why would we?

And we can see gravity with our eyes, when you drop a pencil and it hits the ground, that is gravity, it’s a force.. not an object. The same goes for the mind and things like oxygen, you may not be able to see them with the naked eye, but they are very much observable, unlike any God, which is by its very nature unobservable.

Even if you ignored all of that and insisted that their simply must be a first cause, that caused everything else (though again, this is simply untrue and self-defeating logic) which God, and why only one God? Perhaps it’s a team of elves working in unison, who knows? I don’t, and guess what? You don’t either.
The terminology of your question is confusing me. Do you mean to ask 1) if atheists contemplate the reasons for believing that a 'god' exists/does not exist, or 2) if atheists sometimes think that a 'god' does exist?

If the former, I often contemplate such arguments and believe that such debates form the highest form of intellectual curiosity and logical discourse.

If the latter, no.
There are legit a gazillion possible explanations for the Big Bang. It does not have to be God.
I never stop questioning existential stuff including the idea of God but I always come to the same conclusions.
I'm a little tired of the God subject tbh. I also used to join in the debates but they just go around in circles.
I'll bite just once more :tongue:

- Why must the universe come from something if God doesn't have to?

- If the universe should come from nothing why must there be a God involved?
(keeping in mind that God should come from nothing under the same argument given for the universe if it's a requirement)
(edited 4 years ago)
I dont know what to say to someone who has never been concerned or curious about the the infinite source of their very existence. It baffles me how a persons itching curiosity wouldnt lead them to investigate all sources of info reflecting differing theories and opinions on this topic. However, it goes to show, no matter how far you dig and investigate and seek out the truth, no one has been able to prove what kind of powerful source created our very existence bc our brains, as humans, are not conditioned nor even have the capacity to concieve that far back with intricate detail and explaination. In other words, even if we tried with every possible mechanism at our disposal we simply are not capable if knowing how the earth and humans living on it were originally created. We can refer to the BBT or Dawarnism to explain the BEGINNING of creation but cannot account for the existence prior to that of the particles, light, matter gravity explosion. What is the initial source of these? Nothingness? Nothingness is just a term we apply to things we cant see or somply are not there. But isnt nothingness something? Its beyond our comprehension to answer these questions and historically, humans, in order to feel safe secure and to be given a sense of understanding made up all emcompassing always present Gods as an explaination for being. Religion, in order to control the masses, created a belief system with moral and ethical codes to live by so to be granted entrance into the kingdom of heaven. Basically that man was born evil or with original sin and that in order to live a good life and go on to heaven in the afterlife one must redeem themselves to God.

The universe obviously had a start but don’t you ever wonder who caused it. No scientist or atheist can have an explanation for the sudden explosion of light and matter.

Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes such as our mind, gravity etc.. that does not mean it doesn’t exist?

Just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean He doesn’t exist?

Original post by briana2585
tbh i just kinda think that we don't care about his existence, but in discussions i lean mostly towards 'god' not existing, if not fully. But yeah i have thought about 'god' being real or not but i just don't really care about believing in a superior 'thing'. Also i quote 'god' and most of the time i don't cap it because i think of it to be more of a thing, cuz u never know, 'god' could be peppa pig :danceboy:
But don’t you think the BBT itself is an evidence that god exists??

No, I don't. Not understanding something is not evidence for a god.

It may not have had a start if time came to be with it.

Not having an explanation doesn't justify you making unevidenced claims.

There is NO evidence of a god, just as there is none for the invisible goblin that follows you everywhere. Why do you believe in one, and not the other?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scientists.

"We don't know what caused the big bang"
"Therefore God exists"
This is not a valid argument (God of the gaps fallacy)

There's not a shred of evidence for an intelligent entity instantly communicating with us (or anything in the universe) through any sort of intermediaries, there's no evidence of telepathy between us and God, and there are no evidence souls. Your question is like asking, "just because we can't see a unicorn talking perfect English in the Andromeda galaxy, does that mean it does not necessarily exist?"

Btw we can detect gravity, and we know our mind is the result of physical processes in the brain.
Do I wonder what caused TBB? Yes.

Do I wonder who? No.

No we can't see gravity but we can do tests that let us know it is there, we can see our brain and in some neurological scanning we can see brain activity to let us know the mind is active, those aren't good examples.

Nobody knows what caused it, it's beyond us right now, I'm content with that fact so I see little sense in creating an unnecessary idea such as God and slotting Him into the picture.
Also there’s way more people that believe in god than atheists who don’t. Wouldn’t that be another reason god might exist?
Original post by RogerOxon
Scientists.

I meant the Big Bang itself eek
Also there’s way more people that believe in god than atheists who don’t. Wouldn’t that be another reason god might exist?

Sorry but as a Christian I do accept that actually, Christianity is still a minority along with all other religions put together. Christianity has about 2 billion members loosely and and there is a population of about 7 billion I would call that a minority wouldn’t you? The fall that that people are begging to shun the views of Christianity I would say that people are starting to ignore Christians even more so than ever.

No. We don't vote on what is true.
Original post by DarthRoar
There's thousands of gods that you, sir, do not believe in. We atheists just take that 1 god further. Ever wonder that your god might just be a myth, like santa or the tooth fairy?

What are you trying to say? Obviously Santa and the tooth fairy are real...did you never hang up your stocking on Christmas Eve and find it full of presents in the morning? Did you never put a tooth under your pillow and find money the next day?
Original post by DarthRoar

You know you've reached the highest order of the intellectual community when you're quoting Ricky Gervais.
Reply 19

If seven billion people believed the Sun was a snowball, and the remaining minority of the human race did not, that wouldn't be evidence to support the solar snowball theory. It'd just be seven billion people who were wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending