The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Not another one of these threads...I'm off to the football threads.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Please can a mod close this thread?
i hope that this answers your query both accurately and succinctly:

THIS ONE TIME, AT WAITROSE, THIS GIRL, SHE WAS SICK, I WENT, AND GOT A MOP, AND CLEANED IT UP. MY BOSS, HE WAS HAPPY, HEHEHE!

mod, please close this thread. thanks!
Reply 4
uthinkilltellu
i hope that this answers your query both accurately and succinctly:

THIS ONE TIME, AT WAITROSE, THIS GIRL, SHE WAS SICK, I WENT, AND GOT A MOP, AND CLEANED IT UP. MY BOSS, HE WAS HAPPY, HEHEHE!

mod, please close this thread. thanks!

Oy, that was aaaz's move on me, don't waste it here!
Reply 5
Nope!! far from soo...

some of the grade requirements at UCL are very low. this is in an indcation that UCL degrees are not on par with oxbridge degrees.
Reply 6
Jibzy
Nope!! far from soo...

some of the grade requirements at UCL are very low. this is in an indcation that UCL degrees are not on par with oxbridge degrees.

how did you get into economics at nottingham without maths a-level?

and the grade requirements at UCL aren't exactly a good indication, are they now? everyone knows that the grade requirements primarily reflect supply and demand when it comes to applications. and in that respect, a lot of LSE's courses don't ask for AAA, either.

however, I would still say that Oxbridge degrees should be placed in a different league, considering the amount of academic rape Oxbridge students have to endure. But especially if you look at the most competitive & renowned UCL courses (Economics, ESPS, Law, Medicine etc), you'd find a very high standard.
Jibzy
Nope!! far from soo...

Yeah I got all Ds. Obviously...
Reply 8
Just had a look at the prospectus - lowest offer is BBB (which also is the lowest offer LSE would give), which isn't particularly surprising, as the subject is Audiology. I don't know how you define "very low" Jibzy... ?
I think this thread has had unfair responses. And no, not on a par with it, but it's still a top-ten uni so i dont think you'll be exactly struggling to find work.
Reply 10
loopy_louise
Interested what you think.

Are UCL degrees on a par with Oxbridge ones?

x

in degrees such as economics, i think it is on par with oxbridge, as it even has a better research department then them.. however, other subjects it wouldnt be on par such as languages.
Reply 11
No. Only Imperial College London and the LSE are ever 'on a par' with Oxbridge in any meaningful sense of the expression.
Reply 12
Isn't it a little dangerous to generalise? It's bound to vary between subjects. The most obvious answer to you question, generalising that is :P, would be "no".
Reply 13
In terms of quality research output, in the fields related to "clinical medicine and pharmacy," UCL is ranked 13th in the world whilst Ox is ranked 12th and Cam 16th (Imperial 26th) (http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2008/MED2008.htm.

Besides, in the fields related to "life sciences," UCL is ranked 19th whilst Ox is ranked 11th and Cam 7th (Imperial 44th) (http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2008/LIFE2008.htm.

Moreover, in the fields related to neuroscience, UCL is ranked 2nd in the world and 1st in Europe ( http://www.ucl.ac.uk/neuroscience/Page.php?ID=2).
Reply 14
MF Grimm is sooo good
Reply 15
Profesh
No. Only Imperial College London and the LSE are ever 'on a par' with Oxbridge in any meaningful sense of the expression.

I knew I liked you. ^^
Reply 16
Profesh

Exactly, let's be realistic here. Although Oxbridge do have an 800 year headstart on essentially every uni :p:
Profesh

That blanket 'no' you stated ought to be rethought. It quite depends on the subject in question!
you can't really generalize .. as saying imperial are on top of UCL :s-smilie: I doubt that! .. Imperial doesn't even offer some courses that are offered by UCL .. such as Audiology ( so how can you compare both universities?)..
Reply 19
ValiumBob
MF Grimm is sooo good

Doom is better.

Latest

Trending

Trending