The Student Room Group

Am I in love?

OK so I've known this guy for almost a year now and in March we made it official. for the first few months I was INFATUATED with him, couldn't bear to spend a second apart and always felt butterflies etc. However, a few days ago I realised I don't get those butterflies. Does this mean I don't love him anymore? I still can't bear to leave him and I can't imagine him ever leaving me or vice versa and we always talk about a future together. Is this normal? I keep looking back at photos and texts to remind me of him (as we are on summer break from uni now and won't see each other until august)
Original post by Anonymous
OK so I've known this guy for almost a year now and in March we made it official. for the first few months I was INFATUATED with him, couldn't bear to spend a second apart and always felt butterflies etc. However, a few days ago I realised I don't get those butterflies. Does this mean I don't love him anymore? I still can't bear to leave him and I can't imagine him ever leaving me or vice versa and we always talk about a future together. Is this normal? I keep looking back at photos and texts to remind me of him (as we are on summer break from uni now and won't see each other until august)

I imagine that the 'honeymoon' phase of your relationship is wearing off, and you're simply more comfortable together now.
Reply 2
That’s what I think/hope! I still love him and don’t want to ever leave him but I don’t get butterflies or think about him 25/8 ahah
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I imagine that the 'honeymoon' phase of your relationship is wearing off, and you're simply more comfortable together now.
Hey! So I've been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years now and I can tell you that after a while the 'honeymoon' phase does wear away. It's likely that you're just more comfortable with one another now than you were at the beginning, butterflies are often a manifestation of hope and anxiety all together. Since you know eachother more than those beginning days, it's understandable that the love isn't as new anymore, but it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do you see yourself in one another's future? It's one thing having plans, and a totally different thing if you don't imagine him being the one you settle with.

2. Does your relationship bring you more joy and happiness than worry/upset? All relationships experience turmoil, and all couples (however close and in love) experience arguments. If your relationship is more happy than not, it's an indication you still feel the want to stay.

3. Does guilt play any part in you remaining? Sometimes love just waxes and wanes without anything bad happening. Often people feel there needs to be a reason why they don't feel the same way anymore, so they feel guilty because the person they're with is lovely and haven't "done anything".

I'll leave a link with some more questions you might want to look at: https://www.powerofpositivity.com/10-questions-to-ask-yourself-before-leaving-a-relationship/

Hope you work it out (and do let us know how you're getting on)!

Lizzie :smile:
That’s what I think/hope! I still love him and don’t want to ever leave him but I don’t get butterflies or think about him 25/8 ahah

Probably anyone in a long term relationship/marriage will tell you that your SO doesn't need to be a constant thought in your life (otherwise you'd never get anything done!). I think as long as you're still in love with him and see a future with him, you're fine.
Reply 5
Original post by lizzierosemarks
Hey! So I've been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years now and I can tell you that after a while the 'honeymoon' phase does wear away. It's likely that you're just more comfortable with one another now than you were at the beginning, butterflies are often a manifestation of hope and anxiety all together. Since you know eachother more than those beginning days, it's understandable that the love isn't as new anymore, but it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do you see yourself in one another's future? It's one thing having plans, and a totally different thing if you don't imagine him being the one you settle with.

2. Does your relationship bring you more joy and happiness than worry/upset? All relationships experience turmoil, and all couples (however close and in love) experience arguments. If your relationship is more happy than not, it's an indication you still feel the want to stay.

3. Does guilt play any part in you remaining? Sometimes love just waxes and wanes without anything bad happening. Often people feel there needs to be a reason why they don't feel the same way anymore, so they feel guilty because the person they're with is lovely and haven't "done anything".

I'll leave a link with some more questions you might want to look at: https://www.powerofpositivity.com/10-questions-to-ask-yourself-before-leaving-a-relationship/

1)
Reply 6
1) yes we always plan our future together!
2) I’m always happy with him
3) in a way I would feel guilty leaving him as he is an amazing person and has made my life so much better. But I don’t see this as me staying for that reason - I feel like I love him and for that reason I would feel guilty, and hate myself for leaving something so great

Original post by lizzierosemarks

1) yes we always plan our future together!
2) I’m always happy with him
3) in a way I would feel guilty leaving him as he is an amazing person and has made my life so much better. But I don’t see this as me staying for that reason - I feel like I love him and for that reason I would feel guilty, and hate myself for leaving something so great

If this is the case, I wouldn't worry then! It sounds like you are very much still in love. Enjoy the time together and don't worry about not having the butterfly feeling, in many ways it's a good sign you're more comfortable with one another and happier. Those butterfly feelings will likely come back from time to time on holidays/dates/etc, so don't worry it's not gone forever as it's a lovely feeling to be so in love! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending