The Student Room Group

Failed Masters degree 2 years ago, reapplying

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi guys,

I dont know how common this is but I undertook a MSc (engineering) two years ago, found it uninteresting and didnt match my career prospects and got depressed half way through and at the end I failed (badly), I came out of it with a PgCert.

Since I left I have been working using my bachelors degree and now wish to undertake a MSc part time while working in my field.

entry requirements for the MSc I want to do state minimum 2:2 while I got a 2:1

How likely is it that I will just get rejected because I have failed a MSc in the past? Does anyone have any similar experiences or stories?

Thank you.
Original post by SanuLose12
Hi guys,

I dont know how common this is but I undertook a MSc (engineering) two years ago, found it uninteresting and didnt match my career prospects and got depressed half way through and at the end I failed (badly), I came out of it with a PgCert.

Since I left I have been working using my bachelors degree and now wish to undertake a MSc part time while working in my field.

How likely is it that I will just get rejected because I have failed a MSc in the past? Does anyone have any similar experiences or stories?

Thank you.

Talk to admissions and are you self funding this?
Reply 3
Hi guys,

Thank you.
Hi guys,

Thank you.

Any chance of getting your employer to sponsor you? That might well get around any qualms the university has.

It really just depends how academically selective the university can be. THe longer you wait, the easier it will be, but really, the only way to know what their response will be is to apply.
Reply 5
threeportdrift,

Thank you for your reply, my employer will be unlikely to sponsor me financially as my chosen course (Safety engineering) is slightly different to my current role (Energy/Mechanical Engineering), I am planning on transitioning into a safety engineering role once I finish my masters studies however I would be able to obtain a reference from my manager to say that they will support my by giving me time to study when required (it will still help me get Ceng status).

The university is a typical top 30-40 uk uni but the course itself is not very competitive (safety engineering).

"THe longer you wait, the easier it will be"
what do you mean by this???
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi guys,

Thank you.

I don't have any officially sourced numbers to show you, but I haven't heard of many examples of suitably qualified applicants struggling to get into engineering MSc degrees. You got a 2:1 at undergrad whereas the requirement is for a 2:2, and you also have some work experience and a clear motive for taking the masters, so you can transition into a safety engineer role. As previously mentioned, the only way to really know is to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending