The Student Room Group

Boyfriend and I are the opposite.

I love my soon to be husband more than life, BUT, we are too different. In every department. His family come from a working class background and my family does not. My parents attended university and his parents did not. This is showing very clearly in the way he's thinking. For example, I'm a law student, I love reading books, writing novels and being creative. He is just interested in fast cars, weed and fast money. It's like someone decided to **** with me and make an opposite version of myself my soulmate. Because in terms of love, he is my life.

Now, we are probably getting married soon and possibly have kids, but what worries me is the parenting. I want my kids to be like me, is that bad? I just want them to have a good future. My boyfriend is not planning on attending university and is saying hes willing to have the same job he currently has (welding) for his entire life.

What should I do? Do i think about my future in terms of living standards or love? Do I want to be the one who's gonna earn more? I want my husband to be earning more money than me, because it feels weird otherwise.
There are plenty of unemployed and underemployed graduates (I am one of them at the moment, I would honestly like to be a welder, and something like Firefighter would be a dream) even after graduating from top universities. Welding is fine. His values are okay, apart from weed to be honest but it's not the most serious problem ever. The fast money aspect of things is valuable, especially that you are still only studying Law so you guys will benefit from his money until you earn decent solicitor's salary. Who knows what path the kids will choose - maybe they will become rockstars or athletes, or be so gifted that they may become professional chess players and won't need to go to university? Economy is changing fast with AI, automation, robotics and the first jobs to be automated are not plumber, welder or electrician - these will stay around for a very long time, even after most banking/finance jobs are automated.
Being different Is great, much more opportunities for growth in the relationship, try taking your boyfriend to things you like doing and other way around!!
It sounds like you have some very traditionalist views and they aren't compatible with your current situation.

What's so wrong with the female partner earning more than the man? It doesn't matter who earns the most as long as there's enough to get by.

You don't have to go to university to have a good future and it's a shame people still have this mindset. As long as someone works hard, enjoys their job and earns enough then that's fine.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending