The Student Room Group

Jobless graduate

I just wanted somewhere to write down things in my life that were bothering me and to know whether anyone has suggestion or feels the same. It's been a whole year since graduating University. Straight after moving back home I started working temporary jobs, warehouse & sales etc. In between my free time I hoped that I would apply for graduate jobs. But I would later go on to realise that I didn't want a graduate job just yet. Instead I want to pursue other interests for instance I have a business idea which I'm really passionate about. I also want to work on my website full time plus other creative interest. But I've also been suffering from depression and anxiety in those 6 months, I received help for that. I'm now in a good place and the best I've ever felt in a long time, I spend my days fantasising about my ideas and writing things down, I smile just thinking about it. So here where it gets frustrating I've been unemployed for around 2 months and although I am actively seeking work I have these flickering thoughts that make me think my job will make me forget about my passion. I'm so broke but I really need the money. Another issue dwelling on my mind is the fact I hardly have friends, I can't remember the last time I had a good conversation with a friend, which is so sad. Most people I know are from uni and have either stayed in the city or have gone back home like me, we keep in touch sporadically. I just wish I was more disciplined and consistent in everything I do. There's so much potential, I know If I applied I know I can achieve all if not most of my goals. However, I can be so indecisive and flaky. I'm overcoming these battles day by day. I hope this time next year, things will be different. (Sorry for the long post!)
Reply 1
Hey! So, I graduated last year too, what your feeling is normal, so please know your not the only one. Even though I have a 'proper' job (related to my degree) it's s***, I have no friends too, all my so called 'friends' from uni have been getting promotions and look to be doing well (nice cars, building houses, getting engaged etc), while I'm sat in an office feeling depressed, questioning my entire career choice and life goals. Although I earn an ok amount of money and apparently i'm pretty good at my job (alright, big head), I actually preferred being a sales assistant, but I know deep down being a sales assistant isn't going to get me where I want to be - you have to focus on your long term goal. You say you have no money, so take any job you can get, yes it may be *****y but you know its only temporary - it's just a stepping stone. I believe there are enough hours in the day to work full-time (or near enough) and do your website on the side (or start pursuing your business idea more), yes it will be tough but it's not impossible, nothing is impossible. If something is truly your passion, you will never forget it, so F*** friends, F*** flakiness and F*** graduate jobs!
Original post by bel4848
Hey! So, I graduated last year too, what your feeling is normal, so please know your not the only one. Even though I have a 'proper' job (related to my degree) it's s***, I have no friends too, all my so called 'friends' from uni have been getting promotions and look to be doing well (nice cars, building houses, getting engaged etc), while I'm sat in an office feeling depressed, questioning my entire career choice and life goals. Although I earn an ok amount of money and apparently i'm pretty good at my job (alright, big head), I actually preferred being a sales assistant, but I know deep down being a sales assistant isn't going to get me where I want to be - you have to focus on your long term goal. You say you have no money, so take any job you can get, yes it may be *****y but you know its only temporary - it's just a stepping stone. I believe there are enough hours in the day to work full-time (or near enough) and do your website on the side (or start pursuing your business idea more), yes it will be tough but it's not impossible, nothing is impossible. If something is truly your passion, you will never forget it, so F*** friends, F*** flakiness and F*** graduate jobs!

I legit feel 150% better after reading this post, I needed this, thank you. I completely understand you and relate to this, despite of graduating with top grades from top unis.
Have you considered working in a customer service position? I honestly loved doing that when I first graduated because it was team environment and naturally easy to make friends. I got a lot of extra tasks to work on, which is something I've never been allowed to do in the office jobs I've worked in since.

Personally I think the whole grad job thing is a racket. You're better off focusing on that business idea of yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending