The Student Room Group

Starting study again after long gap!

Hi there,
I am Bangladeshi citizen living in England for few years now.
I am on Spouse visa and I haven’t got my ILR yet.
I have only studied upto higher secondary (equivalent to A level) in Bangladesh. But now I would want to study again and have university degree.
Because I am not British or EU citizen yet I am not eligible for student loan which means I will have to pay full tuition fee upfront.
So any idea what shall I do? Someone suggested me I can do diploma courses upto level 5 then do university top up degree for a year and obtain my degree.
Or shall I go three year university study?
Does it matter if I have diploma courses and do uni top up or it’s better to study three years uni degree?
How’s the job market gonna be like ?
Please any advice would be appreciated....
I can afford 7k a year on fee.....
I am 29 years old by the way from london.
Thank you
Original post by Pathfinder19
Hi there,
I am Bangladeshi citizen living in England for few years now.
I am on Spouse visa and I haven’t got my ILR yet.
I have only studied upto higher secondary (equivalent to A level) in Bangladesh. But now I would want to study again and have university degree.
Because I am not British or EU citizen yet I am not eligible for student loan which means I will have to pay full tuition fee upfront.
So any idea what shall I do? Someone suggested me I can do diploma courses upto level 5 then do university top up degree for a year and obtain my degree.
Or shall I go three year university study?
Does it matter if I have diploma courses and do uni top up or it’s better to study three years uni degree?
How’s the job market gonna be like ?
Please any advice would be appreciated....
I can afford 7k a year on fee.....
I am 29 years old by the way from london.
Thank you

I would work out what it is you want to do as a career.

I would find out when you might get ILR as if that is a reasonable time, then I would wait for that to access student funding.

If you insist on going ahead then to get onto most uni courses you would need level 3 qualifications. A levels or access course.

It is possible to go the diploma and top up route, but you need to have a direction and there are relatively few top up degrees to choose from.

The typical course fee for a UK uni is over £9,000 pa.

If you want qualifications , then I would look at getting :

English and Maths functional skills or better GCSE.

A levels or an access course or probably cheaper to look at getting profession related qualifications, which have low entry points but are more cost effective. IT related, financial service etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending