The Student Room Group

Useful University Websites?

Hi, does anyone know any useful uni websites with information on them about courses?
Besides Which? University and UCAS.com

Scroll to see replies

Thecompleteuniversityguide.com I think that’s one
Guardian league tables too
Reply 2
Original post by S.carter

Thank you, I am just struggling on what course to choose. There are so many Business ones..
Original post by Harrisn
Thank you, I am just struggling on what course to choose. There are so many Business ones..

Hahahah I feel like the whole UCAS thing has totally crept up on me, although teachers have been mentioning it for months now I actually need to find 5 places I wanna spend 3/4 years at 😂😂
Reply 4
Hahahah I feel like the whole UCAS thing has totally crept up on me, although teachers have been mentioning it for months now I actually need to find 5 places I wanna spend 3/4 years at 😂😂

Same here, are you going into year 13??

These are terrible, cant suggest enough to not waste your time with these, a complete misrepresentation.

Unistats and which uni are pretty good run down. The individual course web pages are the best tho.

Also go to open days and ask Uni course directors about other Unis, might seem pretty obnoxious but they wont know who you are so it wont matter.

The graduate high flyers guide is the best resource for employability, REF power ranking is the best for research.

It just depends what you want to know.
Original post by Harrisn

the absolute best one is behind a Paywall...the Sunday Times Good University guide. new one comes out in 1 month's time
Original post by Harrisn
Same here, are you going into year 13??

Yeah :smile: wbu? Im looking to study LLB law in London hopefully
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
These are terrible, cant suggest enough to not waste your time with these, a complete misrepresentation.

Unistats and which uni are pretty good run down. The individual course web pages are the best tho.

Also go to open days and ask Uni course directors about other Unis, might seem pretty obnoxious but they wont know who you are so it wont matter.

The graduate high flyers guide is the best resource for employability, REF power ranking is the best for research.

Thanks for the suggestions- but I probably need to nail down what I course I want to do first..:frown:
Original post by mnot

Why are they a misrepresentation? Kinda worrying you’ve said that as I’ve been basing some uni choices off of them 😬

Not saying they aren’t, those are the ones I’ve been looking at as I’ve found them the easiest to navigate.
Reply 10
Yeah :smile: wbu? Im looking to study LLB law in London hopefully

Yeah same. I am looking to study something Business related but do not know yet:frown:, and you have any Uni's in mind?
Original post by Harrisn
Yeah same. I am looking to study something Business related but do not know yet:frown:, and you have any Uni's in mind?

Ahh cool, I’ve been looking at UCL and LSE mostly, I know they’re really competitive so I think a lot is riding on the AS results 😬 I think LSE do good business and economics type courses if I’m not mistaken? Not sure tho :smile:

Are you nervous for going to London? People either love it or hate it and most of my friends hate big places, I don’t think I’ll know many people there at this rate 😂
Why are they a misrepresentation? Kinda worrying you’ve said that as I’ve been basing some uni choices off of them 😬

Not saying they aren’t, those are the ones I’ve been looking at as I’ve found them the easiest to navigate.

Very poorly compiled, they are just designed to make money via internet ads.

For example, one metric is employability: they base this off % of students working within 6 months of graduating, but this doesnt account for type of job, salary, prospects after 5 years... hence someone who gets a job at Macdonalds or Goldman Sachs upon graduation are weighted the same. The research metric does not correlate at all to REF (the government research measurement).
The student:staff ratio can easily be manipulated depending on what you count as a staff member. The NSS (national student survey) scores are used, but different students have different expectations and ex-Poly unis use this to bump them in the rankings...

Yes their easy to navigate but as i said they are nothing more than a list of Unis essentially

the international rankings are much better just filter to UK unis:
http://a3ranking.com/tables/affiliation
https://www.4icu.org/gb/
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2020
Reply 13
Ahh cool, I’ve been looking at UCL and LSE mostly, I know they’re really competitive so I think a lot is riding on the AS results 😬 I think LSE do good business and economics type courses if I’m not mistaken? Not sure tho :smile:

Are you nervous for going to London? People either love it or hate it and most of my friends hate big places, I don’t think I’ll know many people there at this rate 😂

Yeah, LSE is one of the top Uni's in the UK and I'm from a town called Huddersfield near Leeds supposed it would be a bit nerve-racking but you'd get used to it
Reply 14
Whatuni.com was my go to website lol. It has quite a lot of useful functions like open day listings, a place to list your "final five", course searchers, etc. There's also an app I think.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk Go direct line! They always have the interesting detailed information direct! Might be easier to go old school and order some prospectuses to compare with!
Original post by Harrisn
Yeah, LSE is one of the top Uni's in the UK and I'm from a town called Huddersfield near Leeds supposed it would be a bit nerve-racking but you'd get used to it

Oh yeah I feel like I’ve heard of Huddersfield
What a-levels are you doing? Apart from business I assume
Original post by mnot
Very poorly compiled, they are just designed to make money via internet ads.

For example, one metric is employability: they base this off % of students working within 6 months of graduating, but this doesnt account for type of job, salary, prospects after 5 years... hence someone who gets a job at Macdonalds or Goldman Sachs upon graduation are weighted the same. The research metric does not correlate at all to REF (the government research measurement).
The student:staff ratio can easily be manipulated depending on what you count as a staff member. The NSS (national student survey) scores are used, but different students have different expectations and ex-Poly unis use this to bump them in the rankings...

Yes their easy to navigate but as i said they are nothing more than a list of Unis essentially

the international rankings are much better just filter to UK unis:
http://a3ranking.com/tables/affiliation
https://www.4icu.org/gb/
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2020

Wow, that’s dreadful, thank you though I’ll definitely look at the ones you suggested :smile: I wish my teachers gave us this advice earlier so we wouldn’t waste our time looking at the wrong sites
The graduate employment measures do account for type of job. Someone working in mcdonalds behind the till or in the kitchen would not be counted as a graduate job. Similarly someone working as a cleaner in goldman sachs wouldn’t either.

And the NSS is not something that ex-polys excel at. The universities that do well in the NSS are ex 94 group members - smaller universities than the original Russell Group with a focus on good teaching as well as research. It’s always worth looking at NSS results for your course on unistats (and its replacement) to understand exactly what scores well or badly - and then decide if the weak areas are something that would be a problem (and if so asking the department/course team what they’re doing to address that weakness).

Whatuni is a good site for offering lots of personal reviews.

But TSR is pretty good if you have a few ideas of courses or universities that you are considering and want suggestions for other places to consider that might be similar.

International rankings are based on nothing relevant to undergraduate applicants. Surveys of academics and citation metrics don’t indicate a good course structure, content and delivery or opportunities for useful super curriculars.
(edited 4 years ago)
whatuni was really useful when I was choosing my course, they have really comprehensive criterion you can sort by plus there are previous student reviews! Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending