The Student Room Group

what are my chances at an oxbridge law offer ???

I've wanted to go to either Oxford or Cambridge since before i can even remember, and i'm absolutely certain about Law, i've done numerous internships at law firms, and endless reading on the topic as well. I am also an internationally expierienced MUN-er as well as captain of my schools MUN and Parliamentary debate teams. I got 6A*s 4 As and 1 B (further-maths) in my GCSEs, including a country distinction in mathematics.

However today i got my AS level grades and they've shattered my world. i got ABBB.

Math A
Literature B
History B
Economics B

My predicted will be aproximately A*A*A*B as my term and mock marks were very good. So what do my chances look like for a cambridge law offer ????
Original post by LegallyBlonde27
I've wanted to go to either Oxford or Cambridge since before i can even remember, and i'm absolutely certain about Law, i've done numerous internships at law firms, and endless reading on the topic as well. I am also an internationally expierienced MUN-er as well as captain of my schools MUN and Parliamentary debate teams. I got 6A*s 4 As and 1 B (further-maths) in my GCSEs, including a country distinction in mathematics.

However today i got my AS level grades and they've shattered my world. i got ABBB.

Math A
Literature B
History B
Economics B

My predicted will be aproximately A*A*A*B as my term and mock marks were very good. So what do my chances look like for a cambridge law offer ????

If you work hard there's no reason you can't. However, don't become fixed on Oxbridge just because of the name/status, look at the actual course, visit and see if it really is the place for you. Keep your options open and look into as many other universities as possible. There may be a course that you find more interesting. If you decide you are actually interested in the course then find a teacher who knows about Oxbridge (if possible with law) and get them to talk through the application process. The personal statement is completely different to other universities and so is the rest of the application process. If you are worried about getting the grades it could be wise to drop one of your subjects as this may mean you are more secure. If you do choose to do this drop the one you don't enjoy the most NOT the one you find harder. Oxbridge prefer 3 good marks over 4 ok marks. You could also get a buddy, on an open day or through your school find someone who is doing law at Oxbridge and talk to them to find information on the course and application process. Just keep pushing and the sky is your limit. And if in the end it doesn't work out then what's meant to be will be and you'll be great anyway!
Hope this helps?
Original post by Flyingleopard5
If you work hard there's no reason you can't. However, don't become fixed on Oxbridge just because of the name/status, look at the actual course, visit and see if it really is the place for you. Keep your options open and look into as many other universities as possible. There may be a course that you find more interesting. If you decide you are actually interested in the course then find a teacher who knows about Oxbridge (if possible with law) and get them to talk through the application process. The personal statement is completely different to other universities and so is the rest of the application process. If you are worried about getting the grades it could be wise to drop one of your subjects as this may mean you are more secure. If you do choose to do this drop the one you don't enjoy the most NOT the one you find harder. Oxbridge prefer 3 good marks over 4 ok marks. You could also get a buddy, on an open day or through your school find someone who is doing law at Oxbridge and talk to them to find information on the course and application process. Just keep pushing and the sky is your limit. And if in the end it doesn't work out then what's meant to be will be and you'll be great anyway!
Hope this helps?

Thank you so much for the reply !!! i genuinely love reading about law, at my internship i was doing small research and reading tasks only but i truly enjoyed learning about the law and the way lawyers interpret the texts, i found it very fascinating. And i honestly enjoy all 4 of my subjects, which is what i'm hoping my recommendations will convey as well. I'm applying cambridge , LSE , warwick , Kings as well as to a number of european colleges, but my absolute dream would be Cambridge.

That's why i came on to this forum, i wanted an idea as to how slim my chances are with my grades, i'm having my econ paper rechecked and hopefully that'll bring me to an AABB in my AS🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Original post by LegallyBlonde27
Thank you so much for the reply !!! i genuinely love reading about law, at my internship i was doing small research and reading tasks only but i truly enjoyed learning about the law and the way lawyers interpret the texts, i found it very fascinating. And i honestly enjoy all 4 of my subjects, which is what i'm hoping my recommendations will convey as well. I'm applying cambridge , LSE , warwick , Kings as well as to a number of european colleges, but my absolute dream would be Cambridge.

That's why i came on to this forum, i wanted an idea as to how slim my chances are with my grades, i'm having my econ paper rechecked and hopefully that'll bring me to an AABB in my AS🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Cool (-: Also, I love the username
Original post by Flyingleopard5
Cool (-: Also, I love the username

Lolll thanks, it's what all my friends call me cus all i talk about is law school :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending