The Student Room Group

Confirmed place with significant changes?

So I did quite bad in my alevels (got BDD...opps) . My firm choice is MMU and it says I've been accepted for educational psychology, but I applied for psychology. I'm not sure about what to do because I'm assuming that means I won't have a place on the psychology course at all. Has this happened to anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

This has just happened to me??? And it gave me like a letter what grade I had to get? But it's the same as my psychology requirement for that uni but online it's lower?? I haven't checked my grades yet
Original post by Rawr789
So I did quite bad in my alevels (got BDD...opps) . My firm choice is MMU and it says I've been accepted for educational psychology, but I applied for psychology. I'm not sure about what to do because I'm assuming that means I won't have a place on the psychology course at all. Has this happened to anyone else?

What was your offer? it sounds like they've offered you a place on a course they think is more suitable. Is it something you're interested in?
Original post by Rawr789

does it say like unconditional course change on it? you should have 5 days to decide whether to take it or not, do you have an insurance place?

Original post by chocolatd
This has just happened to me??? And it gave me like a letter what grade I had to get? But it's the same as my psychology requirement for that uni but online it's lower?? I haven't checked my grades yet
Original post by Rawr789

Yes, unfortunately it does mean they won't consider you for psychology. Educational psychology isn't a huge change, so it might be worth considering whether that would be a good option for you- but you could also consider looking for other places in clearing if you're not interested in the course you've been offered.

They shouldn't be asking for specific grades for a course change. When are you able to find out your grades from school?

Knowing your grades may help you make a decision about the course change, but if you're confused, do ring up the uni!
Why not check the course info for educational psychology - it might just be a few modules that are different to the main psychology course.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
does it say like unconditional course change on it? you should have 5 days to decide whether to take it or not, do you have an insurance place?

Yeah it does and my insurance choice hasn't decided yet, eventhough I have met the conditions of the offer.
Original post by Rawr789
Yeah it does and my insurance choice hasn't decided yet, eventhough I have met the conditions of the offer.

call up your insurance and ask when track will change.
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Yes, unfortunately it does mean they won't consider you for psychology. Educational psychology isn't a huge change, so it might be worth considering whether that would be a good option for you- but you could also consider looking for other places in clearing if you're not interested in the course you're not interested in the course you've been offered.

Thanks, I'm not really interested in educational psychology at all, so it's a bit of shame.
Yes, unfortunately it does mean they won't consider you for psychology. Educational psychology isn't a huge change, so it might be worth considering whether that would be a good option for you- but you could also consider looking for other places in clearing if you're not interested in the course you've been offered.

They shouldn't be asking for specific grades for a course change. When are you able to find out your grades from school?

Knowing your grades may help you make a decision about the course change, but if you're confused, do ring up the uni!

My school hasn't released my grades yet but they probably will at like 9/10, but I mean the uni has given me a confirmed place for educational psychology and it says the offer is subject to me obtaining AAB at a levels? Does this mean that is what I got? But that is the same entry requirements as the C800 course??
Original post by Rawr789
Thanks, I'm not really interested in educational psychology at all, so it's a bit of shame.

That's fair enough- why not have a look at what else is out there in clearing? There may be some other options open to you, especially if you're willing to consider a foundation year?
My school hasn't released my grades yet but they probably will at like 9/10, but I mean the uni has given me a confirmed place for educational psychology and it says the offer is subject to me obtaining AAB at a levels? Does this mean that is what I got? But that is the same entry requirements as the C800 course??

That sounds quite strange.

Personally, I'd go into school and get your grades if you can, as you may need support from a teacher.

It might be that they've accepted you onto the other course with slightly lower grades.

How would you feel about studying educational psychology?

If you do have ABB or similar, there will be psychology options for you in clearing too.
That sounds quite strange.

Personally, I'd go into school and get your grades if you can, as you may need support from a teacher.

It might be that they've accepted you onto the other course with slightly lower grades.

How would you feel about studying educational psychology?

If you do have ABB or similar, there will be psychology options for you in clearing too.

I go to boarding school so unfortunately my results are only released online. Yeah but educational psychology is ABB? But on the alternative offer it says this offer is confirmed and subject to me receiving AAB, and like I said this is the same requirements for psychology?
(edited 4 years ago)
I go to boarding school so unfortunately my results are only released online. Yeah but educational psychology is ABB? But on the alternative offer it says this offer is confirmed and subject to me receiving AAB, and like I said this is the same requirements for psychology?

That's very strange- I think it might be an error from the uni.

If you do have AAB, then the uni should honour your original offer- the first step will be to call the admissions team for your course, but if they are being unhelpful, you can call UCAS too.

If you do end up in this situation, feel free to quote/PM me and I'll try to help as much as I can!

But the first step is to wait for your results unfortunately. Could you try calling your school?
Original post by Rawr789

I would phone up your Insurance to see what they say? It is likely that they are not giving you their decision because you have technically been accepted by your Firm, so the assumption is that you would want to go there? But if you don't like the new course you have been offered by your Firm, you might prefer to go to your Insusrance and do straight Psychology instead? Give your Insurance a call and see what they say :smile: (you are under no obligation to accept a changed course offer)
That's very strange- I think it might be an error from the uni.

If you do have AAB, then the uni should honour your original offer- the first step will be to call the admissions team for your course, but if they are being unhelpful, you can call UCAS too.

If you do end up in this situation, feel free to quote/PM me and I'll try to help as much as I can!

But the first step is to wait for your results unfortunately. Could you try calling your school?

Oh and it's from my insurance uni? Because I didn't get the grades for my firm?
Oh and it's from my insurance uni? Because I didn't get the grades for my firm?

What does your firm say on track?
What does your firm say on track?

It's says unsuccessful, because the entry requirements are A*AA.

Ah, I see- that's probably gone then unless you go for remarks.

There's not much you can do unfortunately until you can get your results.

When does your school open?

It sounds to me like you are onto the Ed Psychology course and all you need to do is firstly get your grades online and secondly decide if you want to accept the changed course or would rather go into Clearing as there will be other good options for people with AAB/ABB for normal Psychology courses.

A thing to check with your Insurance could be whether someone starting the Ed Psy course could later transfer to straight Psychology at the same uni? That's what my daughter did at Lancaster

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending