The Student Room Group

Uni options for biomedical sciences

Hey guys, I will be applying for biomedical sciences for 2020 entry to the UK as an international applicant. I’ve achieved ABB (Math, Biology and Chemistry) for AS but I will be resitting some units for bio (unit 1 and 3) and chem (unit 2 and 3) to achieve an A. I take further maths as well but have not completed enough units to achieved the AS qualification. Did an EPQ and got an A*, shadowed a surgeon for a week and a half and has volunteered for 4 months at a home for the elderly.

So far, I’ve only shortlisted UCL (AAA), KCL (AAB) and Edinburgh (AAA-ABB).

Any recommendations/ experiences of list of unis you’ve applied to for biomed? What are my chances of getting into the unis I’ve listed? I’m aiming for UCL but I’m afraid my chances are heavily discounted due to the fact that I’m resitting some units.

Many thanks in advance. All help is appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi, @mtyt! I suggest you look into University of Manchester, University of York and University of Surrey.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mtyt
Hey guys, I will be applying for biomedical sciences for 2020 entry to the UK as an international applicant. I’ve achieved ABB (Math, Biology and Chemistry) for AS but I will be resitting some units for bio (unit 1 and 3) and chem (unit 2 and 3) to achieve an A. I take further maths as well but have not completed enough units to achieved the AS qualification. Did an EPQ and got an A*, shadowed a surgeon for a week and a half and has volunteered for 4 months at a home for the elderly.

Any recommendations/ experiences of list of unis you’ve applied to for biomed? What are my chances of getting into the unis I’ve listed? I’m aiming for UCL but I’m afraid my chances are heavily discounted due to the fact that I’m resitting some units.

It’s also important to know whether you want to go to a uni that is accredited by the IBMS or whether you wanna do a course that is more research based.
Reply 3
I’m looking at a course that is more research based
Original post by mtyt
I’m looking at a course that is more research based

Ohh ok. Are you ever thinking of a career as a biomedical scientist within the NHS in the future? If that’s a yes, then it’s important to choose a uni course that is accredited as it will be made easier for you to work as a Biomedical scientist after completing training of course. But if not, then the unis you have in mind sound good to me :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi! - Whatever you decide to do, I would definitely encourage you to do a placement year in industry or in an NHS laboratory.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by mtyt

Hi!

I would base your decision on where will allow you to do a placement year (4-year programme). I found it really beneficial during my BMS degree and also statistics showed that students who did a placement year performed better in their final year exams than the 3-year programme students.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending