The Student Room Group

Talking about a law textbook in your personal statement?

I was recommended to read an undergraduate level textbook on international law and I have found it absolutely fascinating. I am worried it'll look a bit try hard, as I also found out the author is a fellow at Cambridge.

I've only read specific chapters that interest me but the fellow isn't at the college or anything I plan on applying to it's just really intriguing to be honest!

Any advice?
Original post by ohdearstudying
I was recommended to read an undergraduate level textbook on international law and I have found it absolutely fascinating. I am worried it'll look a bit try hard, as I also found out the author is a fellow at Cambridge.

I've only read specific chapters that interest me but the fellow isn't at the college or anything I plan on applying to it's just really intriguing to be honest!

Any advice?

Why have you only read the chapters that interest you? You won’t be able to pick and choose when studying - read the other chapters then you can mention the book and specifically the chapters/topics that interested you. If you get to interview they are very likely to question you about anything in your PS so you need to be secure in it.

Any advice?

Mentioning how these specific chapters have made you more interested in the law can never be a “wrong” thing to include in a personal statement.
Original post by Simbasoul
Why have you only read the chapters that interest you? You won’t be able to pick and choose when studying - read the other chapters then you can mention the book and specifically the chapters/topics that interested you. If you get to interview they are very likely to question you about anything in your PS so you need to be secure in it.

Damn, when you put it that way it seems quite ridiculous to think that I could get away with not reading the whole thing. The only thing is the textbook is 754 pages long and I have read maybe 200 of them over the summer.

I will have to find a way of doing it it seems, especially if I want to do law - thank you for your advice! :smile:
Original post by Mad-Mullah
Mentioning how these specific chapters have made you more interested in the law can never be a “wrong” thing to include in a personal statement.

How would you respond to what was put below? I personally agree and see the point, it seems selective and in law there are going to be things I don't like that I have to study
Original post by Simbasoul
My point is this - you have picked chapters that interest you, and your interest has been confirmed having read them. Why not read some chapters that don't, on the face of it, interest you? You might develop an interest - or realise that that aspect of the law is less inspiring to you. That gives you more meat in the sandwich for your PS - it also gives them a lead in to a question as to why you were more interested in a vs b etc.

If you clarify in your personal statement that reading those specific chapters has made you more interested in the law I think it’s fine for your personal statement. Leading up to ur interview you might want to read a bit more but no academic would expect an A-level student to read an entire legal textbook. Using the chapters of that book alongside other books you have read on other areas of the law is perfectly fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending