The Student Room Group

The First Cohort of IAL In My School - A Year 12-13 Journey

It was a great year in 2018/19, getting 2 9s and 4 8s in my IGCSE exams. Now I am moving on to IAL as the first cohort to take the exams in my school. I will be taking Chinese, Maths, Physics and Chemistry. My Maths units are P1, P2, P3, P4, S1 and S2.
As the school's new academic structure encourages students to focus on the learning itself other than the grades, and have more time for consolidation and class preparation, this GYG is for me to share my journey with you all.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 8013
It was a great year in 2018/19, getting 2 9s and 4 8s in my IGCSE exams. Now I am moving on to IAL as the first cohort to take the exams in my school. I will be taking Chinese, Maths, Physics and Chemistry. My Maths units are P1, P2, P3, P4, S1 and S2.
As the school's new academic structure encourages students to focus on the learning itself other than the grades, and have more time for consolidation and class preparation, this GYG is for me to share my journey with you all.

Good luck with everything! Keep us updated with how you get started! Have you already started ?
Reply 2
Original post by Evil Homer
Good luck with everything! Keep us updated with how you get started! Have you already started ?

In half an hour, at 5:30 pm (BST +7:00)
Original post by 8013
In half an hour, at 5:30 pm (BST +7:00)

Good luck :smile: Let us know how you get on :biggrin:
Reply 4
3/9/2019
I have gone through Velocity and Acceleration, Motion Graphs, Adding Forces and Moments in Physics - Motion.
Reply 5
I have just gone through Section 1A (Atoms, Elements and Molecules) and half of section 1B (2/4 topics in Equations and Reaction Types) in Chemistry!
I will also be rewriting the lyrics of this song to Reactions Of Acids!
https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DL0dikX80Ed8
(edited 4 years ago)
good luck! im kinda dumb but..what's an IAL?
Reply 7
Original post by mez_merising
good luck! im kinda dumb but..what's an IAL?

International Advanced Level
Reply 8
4/9/2019
I am just off school now.
On my way to school today, I completed the following on the bus:
Chemistry: Displacement Reactions (1B.3)
Physics: Newton's laws of motion (1A.5)
Today's lessons mainly gave an introduction to the curriculum, but Chemistry and Maths have started teaching. We have covered:
Chemistry: Atoms, Elements and Molecules (1A)
Maths: Algebraic Fractions (P2)
I will review these chapters once I got home.
Reply 9
5/9/2019

I have finished all my events in the sports day today. As there is 1 more day, I will spend some time to go further in my Physics and Chemistry.
Reply 10
10/9/2019
I have consolidated the content in the Physics lesson today on Khan Academy, and will go a bit further. I am on GPE and KE now, and will move on to Work And Power tonight. Just look at the attachment, and you can know that I mastered the lesson content!Screenshot_2019-09-10-18-49-54-767_com.android.chrome.png
I will go on to Chemistry after dinner, as well as some Maths in the early morning tomorrow.
Original post by 8013
10/9/2019
I have consolidated the content in the Physics lesson today on Khan Academy, and will go a bit further. I am on GPE and KE now, and will move on to Work And Power tonight. Just look at the attachment, and you can know that I mastered the lesson content!Screenshot_2019-09-10-18-49-54-767_com.android.chrome.png
I will go on to Chemistry after dinner, as well as some Maths in the early morning tomorrow.

Wooooo! Nice work :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 12
13/9/2019
Ah! I got my first test for this year!
It is a Physics test on Projectile motion next Thursday!😮😮
In order to motivate myself, I think that if I failed the test, the following will be the result of Chelsea vs Liverpool (the team I support) played on 22/9:
Screenshot_2019-09-13-17-02-22-424_com.android.chrome.png
However, if I got an A grade, which is 80% or above, this will be the result:
Screenshot_2019-09-13-17-00-51-480_com.android.chrome.png
I am sure that everyone prefers an excellent 3-0 win rather than a humiliating 4-0 defeat, so I think this is going to motivate me to work hard!
Original post by 8013
13/9/2019
Ah! I got my first test for this year!
It is a Physics test on Projectile motion next Thursday!😮😮
In order to motivate myself, I think that if I failed the test, the following will be the result of Chelsea vs Liverpool (the team I support) played on 22/9:
Screenshot_2019-09-13-17-02-22-424_com.android.chrome.png
However, if I got an A grade, which is 80% or above, this will be the result:
Screenshot_2019-09-13-17-00-51-480_com.android.chrome.png
I am sure that everyone prefers an excellent 3-0 win rather than a humiliating 4-0 defeat, so I think this is going to motivate me to work hard!

I want you to succeed, I really do!

But .........

I'm a Chelsea fan :evil: :lol:
Reply 14
14/9/2019- am
I have completed 2 Projectile Motion exercises out of 7 I downloaded online! I really need more, as I may not have enough!
Reply 15
18/9/2019
I have got an impressive 19/22 in my Physics test, which is an A grade!
I will not be continuing my study tonight as it is my father's birthday and we will have a buffet dinner to celebrate with him.
However, I have a Chemistry test next Monday and a Chinese oral test next Thursday!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
WHAT. A. POOR. RESULT.

Only 12/21 in my chemistry test. I got too many careless mistakes, like multiplying the wrong mole ratio and taking the wrong relative atomic mass.
Reply 17
However, I have 2 more tests coming on the next week, so I have to sacrifice MK Dons vs Liverpool and Sheffield United vs Liverpool in order to study. If I failed any of them, this is the result of Liverpool vs Leicester, played on 5/10/2019:
Screenshot_2019-09-24-18-12-00-174_com.android.chrome.png
But if I got an A in both of them, this will be the result:Screenshot_2019-09-24-18-12-50-056_com.android.chrome.png
Reply 18
Screenshot_2019-09-25-18-58-09-019_com.android.chrome.png
I just got this on Forces. I am almost there for my Physics test, and will only do some more exercises to consolidate the knowledge. I will do Maths after dinner.
Reply 19
28/9/2019
I have already mastered Measures of Location and Spread in Maths S1, which is to be tested next Monday. Thanks to a public holiday on October 1, I have enough time to revise for my Physics test on Forces and my Chemistry test on Atomic Structures, but I will start ASAP.
I have also consolidated Work and Energy learnt in the past week's Physics lessons by presenting the topic to the general public on the upper deck of a CTB 619 bus (fleet number: 8416) yesterday, and someone attempted my on-demand questions to my surprise! I will also do a presentation on Ionic Bonding onboard a minibus today. I do presentations on buses and trains to consolidate content as research found that teaching others is the best way to learn something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending