The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i was just wondering if what people thought
Yes, 14 is too young to have sex in the UK as it is below the age of consent, age 16.

Many of us wanted and were able to have sex before we could legally consent but that doesn't mean you are ready.

Instead you should wait until you legally can (this protects you, your partner and parent(s) or guardian(s) -

And then wait some more: i) if you are not in a longterm, stable and caring relationship with someone of a similar age as you, ii) are not certain in how to protect yourself and your partner from STIs or unwanted pregnancy, iii) feel any pressure to engage in sex be it from your potential partner or from what you think others expect from you, iv) are not sure it's what you want to do.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Is 14 to young to have sex?

Yes, because you can't consent.
Reply 4
Yes!
At 14 it is illegal. I disagree with @DrawTheLine - you clearly are old enough to consent.

Some 14 year olds are very immature and like children, some are very mature. If you are mature, going with a boy of a similar age, understand the consequences of your actions then I don't have an issue with it, myself. Some random day where it becomes OK is daft - some 16 year olds really shouldn't be doing it.

OP - you M/F? Long term partner? On any contraception? How long have you been together?
Original post by Apachecow
At 14 it is illegal. I disagree with @DrawTheLine - you clearly are old enough to consent.

Some 14 year olds are very immature and like children, some are very mature. If you are mature, going with a boy of a similar age, understand the consequences of your actions then I don't have an issue with it, myself. Some random day where it becomes OK is daft - some 16 year olds really shouldn't be doing it.

OP - you M/F? Long term partner? On any contraception? How long have you been together?

You legally can't consent at 14. The age of consent in the UK is 16.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You legally can't consent at 14. The age of consent in the UK is 16.

No. I agree that underage sex is against the law, but that doesn't mean you cannot give consent. If you look at the CPS guidance on this there will be no prosecution brought where the act is consensual and the participants of similar age. We have no such offence as statutory rape in the UK.

In a similar way a 14 year old can consent to being kissed or receive a medical examination, they can technically consent to sex.
I don't think you should have sex if you wouldn't be able to deal with you or your partner getting pregnant, and therefore I don't think most 14 year old would

Latest