The Student Room Group

Water spilled on my MacBook Pro, help!!

Yesterday morning I was rushing out of my room as I was running late for my lecture with my roommate. As we left, my friend freaked out and said there was water dripping from my rucksack. We hurried back inside and took my MacBook out and wiped it dry. It turns out my water bottle had betrayed me so it went into the trash ASAP. I turned my MacBook on and it was working so I turned it off immediately and left it to dry. Later in the evening we tried to turn it on and it wouldn’t turn on. After rummaging around, going to the Apple store and having an internal breakdown, I put it up into a tent position and left it alone. This morning, I turned it on with no hope at all and it miraculously turned on again. I immediately turned it off again. What should I do now? I know that I should leave it alone to dry so should I just leave it alone for a week? I’m nervous that it may not work at the end of this and it’s barely two weeks old. The entire thing lasted about 30 seconds to a minute. When I turned it on, there was water inside the screen (it has been trapped there) but there are no bright white splotches as seen on other people’s MacBooks who underwent the same ordeal. 1/3 of the screen has water trapped behind it. Pls help!!

Scroll to see replies

My advice would be (if there is indeed water behind your screen) to find someone who can replace the screen, or find a new screen and repair it yourself.
You can leave it alone if you want to be sure that the water is there, however this might cause more damage, so try and fix it if you can.
Take it back to the apple store if you have to. There’s probably some kind of guarantee that they’ll fix it within a time frame of a few weeks from your purchase, but i’m not sure. Ask if you need to.
Good luck fixing the MacBook :h:
Reply 2
Depending where you are and which University you are studying I can recommend fb.com/studentcomputerservices
Free Diagnostic for Students only!

The alternative is - what you have done is correct - leave it turned off completely. However, i do recommend you take it to a local computer shop to have it inspected for any liquid ingress on the Logicboard inside . The average Diagnostic Fee is approx £40. Most importantly, whatever you do - DO NOT put it in rice!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by StargazingFloof
My advice would be (if there is indeed water behind your screen) to find someone who can replace the screen, or find a new screen and repair it yourself.
You can leave it alone if you want to be sure that the water is there, however this might cause more damage, so try and fix it if you can.
Take it back to the apple store if you have to. There’s probably some kind of guarantee that they’ll fix it within a time frame of a few weeks from your purchase, but i’m not sure. Ask if you need to.
Good luck fixing the MacBook :h:

I’ve looked it up and the one year guarantee does not cover accidental spillage unfortunately, but thank you!
Reply 4
Yeah, I know it’s definitely gonna cost me quite a lot to get the screen replaced and I didn’t even get AppleCare. I’m expecting to pay about £239 cause that’s what it says on the website. It was a very cr*ppy day that day.
Shove it in a big fat bag of rice.
Reply 6
Original post by n.kadri
Depending where you are and which University you are studying I can recommend fb.com/studentcomputerservices
Free Diagnostic for Students only!

The alternative is - what you have done is correct - leave it turned off completely. However, i do recommend you take it to a local computer shop to have it inspected for any liquid ingress on the Logicboard inside . The average Diagnostic Fee is approx £40. Most importantly, whatever you do - DO NOT put it in rice!!

If all fails, I will be taking it to the Apple Store on Tuesday. What do you think about this? https://cognitivemileage.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/splotches-under-macbook-screen-from-water-spill/
I was jokin.....
Original post by OR321
Shove it in a big fat bag of rice.

I think heating it with a bunsen burner will help evaporate the water.
That ain’t my problem :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah, the old rice trick is not happening. I don’t ever use that. After looking it all up on the internet, I have found that corrosion is a bigger enemy than anything else so I’ve booked an appointment at Apple on Wednesday. I can already hear my bank account wailing. Well, when I turned it on, it said something along the lines of “your MacBook was shut down because of a issue,” and it asked me to shut it down if I could? Any ideas?
Reply 11
riceeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 12
Good luck with your bank account lol.
Original post by Rxnaaa
Yeah, the old rice trick is not happening. I don’t ever use that. After looking it all up on the internet, I have found that corrosion is a bigger enemy than anything else so I’ve booked an appointment at Apple on Wednesday. I can already hear my bank account wailing. Well, when I turned it on, it said something along the lines of “your MacBook was shut down because of a issue,” and it asked me to shut it down if I could? Any ideas?

Remember, you are under no obligation to accept their quote to fix your laptop.

That other people can fix your laptop - and probably for a lot less money. Those other people include yourself.

Fluids like coffee are more of a death sentence for laptops than water. So there's hope yet...
Reply 14
Original post by Rxnaaa
If all fails, I will be taking it to the Apple Store on Tuesday. What do you think about this? https://cognitivemileage.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/splotches-under-macbook-screen-from-water-spill/

Water-in-Screen.JPGAfter 3 weeks.JPG
Have a look at the before and after images I have attached. This student had the MacBook in the bag and then the water bottle leaked. It was handed to my team and the MacBook was opened, inspected, cleaned and all corrosion removed. Screen was left to dry. After 3 weeks the water evaporated.

Rice has been suggested in this thread- honestly, not advised. You end up then cleaning out the rice as well as the Liquid corrosion and its double the charge for extra work!
Reply 15
Original post by n.kadri
Water-in-Screen.JPGAfter 3 weeks.JPG
Have a look at the before and after images I have attached. This student had the MacBook in the bag and then the water bottle leaked. It was handed to my team and the MacBook was opened, inspected, cleaned and all corrosion removed. Screen was left to dry. After 3 weeks the water evaporated.

Rice has been suggested in this thread- honestly, not advised. You end up then cleaning out the rice as well as the Liquid corrosion and its double the charge for extra work!

That’s exactly what happened to me too, my laptop was in my bag as well. Do you do repairs for MacBooks and such for liquid damage like you’ve described still?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
You will need to reach on Facebook. You will find all the info of the repairs we do, posts from students about our services etc
fb.com/studentcomputerservices

I suggest you first get Apple to check....and see what they say. My team mainly repairs out of warranty computer.
Reply 17
Rice or bread absorb moisture.
Reply 18
Original post by n.kadri
You will need to reach on Facebook. You will find all the info of the repairs we do, posts from students about our services etc

I suggest you first get Apple to check....and see what they say. My team mainly repairs out of warranty computer.

Thank you loads! I will do that.
Reply 19
Original post by n.kadri

My laptop is under the one year warranty but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t cover accidental damage, unless I misread it. Do you happen to know anything about that?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending