The Student Room Group

Panicking because I don't know what to do with my life!!!

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Why would not having enough extracurriculars stop you from getting onto a masters course? This isn't America, most British universities only care about your academics, except for medicine/dentistry and possibly law. I think you need to improve your self-confidence and work on learning how to sell yourself to employers through your CV. Admin work can easily be conveyed as relevant to a finance role - data entry using word excel, creating finance reports, effective task prioritisation etc.

You should have tried to get some work experience during uni when you had the chance, I'm ngl your lack of work experience *now* will put you at a disadvantage, as more undergrad internship schemes are designed for first and second years. Though, if you're planning on doing a masters than you can still apply for some as you will still be a student in the next academic year.

How are your A Level and University grades?
Reply 2
I don’t think you should base all your life decisions on what people on TSR say... what that person said about extracurricular is untrue. It’s beneficial, but it’s certainly not essential at all.

Your a levels can’t be that bad if you’re at an RG. I’m assuming it’s a lower ranking one like Cardiff or Liverpool, but you must have something like BBB regardless, unless you did a foundation year. But I won’t press you on that.

Does your first year count towards your final mark? A first is brilliant!! If you’re on a first then you’re definitely academically able. Work with the careers office to improve your performance in psychometric tests and do some practice tests online, in your spare time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I just graduated this summer and now I’m looking for a grad job, after finishing my summer job. I’ve got 3 interviews lined up for over the next two weeks :smile:. 2 in fashion and one in creative events production, I did history and English lit at Leeds (and year abroad).

Haha thank you, I wouldn’t say I’m an expert when it comes to economics but I have done some research on postgrad studies and academic requirements for various grad schemes etc. I think if you apply for a masters this year at a ‘better’ university, with your predicted 1st class then you should definitely be in with a shot. And apply for some vacation schemes as well. You know the civil service fast stream is open right now btw? They have roles related specifically to economics, you should look into it.
Reply 4
Government statistical service would be well worth looking at whether through the fast scheme or normal entry.
Reply 5
About £10k a year !
Reply 6
I'm guessing the figures - fast stream pay is way higher. There are a fair few threads about Civil Service entry schemes and its well worth reading through them.

https://gss.civilservice.gov.uk/
Reply 7
I don’t have much experience with civil service admissions but would apply there in your situation. From recollection there is some good information on this site.

I’d be a bit hesitant about doing a masters degree without a clear plan of where it would take me. Going through some application processes can be a good thing as you learn about how the processes work and what they look for, plus get a feel for whether the careers might suit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending