The Student Room Group

Can someone explain British men to me lol

Im a 22 yr old girl from America and last month I visited a friend in Paris for a month. While I was there I decided to try a dating app out of curiosity. I ended up matching with a British guy who works/lives in Paris and we went on a date. We really clicked surprisingly and both felt a connection. We started to hang out more and things started to get more serious. I ended up losing my virginity to him (oops) and he basically confessed his love for me. I dont know if he really meant that or if it was just a in-the-moment type of thing. Do Europeans say things like that casually? It literally felt like something out of a movie. But we both knew that I have to go back home to the U.S. so it was bittersweet. Anyways, when I came back, we whatsapped for a little but the convos got shorter and less engaging. Then we just stopped talking. I want to convince myself that this was a just a fling and to get over it but Im not sure how to cope with the feeling of longing to be with him. I miss him and the short time we had together. We follow each other on instagram and he'll occasionally comment on my stories but its nothing more than that. I know I sound like a whiney millennial but this feeling sucks and Im not sure what to do.
It sounds like he has moved on, as his communication with you has dwindled. It happens when you are young ( and older too)! Do not let him keep you hanging on, or let him get to you. Try to meet someone else who really cares about you.

PS I wish someone would explain British men to me as well. I’m 56 and still do not understand them.
A British man who works in Paris is not typical of British men I would expect. He is able to speak a language other than English, for starters. I expect he just wanted sex and afterwards felt he had got what he wanted from this brief relationship.
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Mum
It sounds like he has moved on, as his communication with you has dwindled. It happens when you are young ( and older too)! Do not let him keep you hanging on, or let him get to you. Try to meet someone else who really cares about you.

PS I wish someone would explain British men to me as well. I’m 56 and still do not understand them.

hahahahah youre right, thank you x
Reply 4
Original post by barnetlad
A British man who works in Paris is not typical of British men I would expect. He is able to speak a language other than English, for starters. I expect he just wanted sex and afterwards felt he had got what he wanted from this brief relationship.

a nice reality slap in the face. Thanks lol
He just wanted sex
I think you may need to binge watch all the Richard Curtis films featuring Hugh Grant, this will give you a mildly glamourised feeling for the British male (4Weds1Fune) for ex. (Tho' you should also take Estella Marie Thompson's counter-balancing point of view into account)

It's difficult with these 'long distance relationships' - I suspect that if you & he were closer (in distance terms) say within 3hr drive, then it'd work. Should you accidentally end up doing a Masters in paris, or better an MBA in Fontainebleau , then might get more sparks.

A very British male friend of mine (Timothy) met a very nice US lady (Nancy) at a party in Thoiry, (Ain, France) literally in front of me, and they married a couple of years later (it was in the NYT 'Style' section on July 15th, 1990) - they remained married for twenty-one years and had two kids. So sometimes....
I was living in France and when I came back to the uk briefly I met a guy.. we wrote throughout the year, but when I came back I found out he was more in love with his car than me
Reply 8
Original post by LuigiMario
I think you may need to binge watch all the Richard Curtis films featuring Hugh Grant, this will give you a mildly glamourised feeling for the British male (4Weds1Fune) for ex. (Tho' you should also take Estella Marie Thompson's counter-balancing point of view into account)

It's difficult with these 'long distance relationships' - I suspect that if you & he were closer (in distance terms) say within 3hr drive, then it'd work. Should you accidentally end up doing a Masters in paris, or better an MBA in Fontainebleau , then might get more sparks.

A very British male friend of mine (Timothy) met a very nice US lady (Nancy) at a party in Thoiry, (Ain, France) literally in front of me, and they married a couple of years later (it was in the NYT 'Style' section on July 15th, 1990) - they remained married for twenty-one years and had two kids. So sometimes....

this made me laugh, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending