The Student Room Group

I cannot find an Access Course.

Hi, so to cut to the chase I'd like to study Architecture at university, but I'd be a mature applicant and don't have A Levels.

I've really tried to find a suitable Access Course, but there aren't any relevant ones local to me. Most universities stipulate that Maths needs to make up a good chunk of your credits, but it seems like courses that actually contain Maths are pretty uncommon.

I'd personally much prefer to attend in person, but I have also looked at distance learning and I'm finding nothing. The only course that sounds somewhat relevant is from 'Aspire': https://www.aspirecourses.com/courses/access/science-engineering

But I'm pretty alarmed at this, "[we] provide you with varied activities to help your learning in each unit, such as quizzes, crosswords and word searches". It just makes it sound like some kind of joke.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to maneuver this. I was desperately trying to relocate before the September term beginning, but I failed. I've contacted colleges, but I'm being told it's too late to enroll at this point. I've lost the 2019-2020 academic year and now just have a year's worth of dead time. It's frustrating. I already have so many years to catch up on and now I have yet another on top of it.

How am I supposed to do this?
Hi I found this on the internet. You could possibly go down this route then go on to study architecture at uni.

The Access to Higher Education Diploma (Built Environment) is a Level 3 qualification which prepares people without traditional qualifications for study at university.
It is designed for:
adults with a current or previous role or interest in construction or the built environment related area;
adults who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances, were unable to participate in or benefit from initial education;
adults from groups under-represented in higher education;
adults seeking a change of direction because of unemployment or lack of career opportunities in their previous field and who have a demonstrable interest in entering a construction or built environment related profession.
Learners primarily progress to Higher Education study in areas related to Built Environment. These may include some of the following areas of Degree level study: Built Environment, Civil Engineering, Surveying, Architecture, Project Management, Construction and Sustainability degrees.

You can find out more about the Access to HE Diploma in our Guide for Learners and Learner Area.
WHERE CAN YOU STUDY THIS ACCESS TO HE DIPLOMA?
Access to HE Diplomas are delivered by OCN London centres including Further Education Colleges, and Adult and Community Education

Centres. The following centres are approved to deliver this qualification:
Lambeth College
South Thames College
You can find out more about these centres and the Diplomas that they offer by visiting their pages in our Access to HE Course Directory and by contacting them directly.
You may also be interested in Access to HE Diplomas in Engineering or Science.
Reply 2
Access to engineering is your best bet.
It's not light, it contains calculus and programming.
Which I imagine given the internet age may be useful to an architect.

Some also contain electronic modules but again still useful.
These are quite thin on the ground though so guess it just depends where you live and how far you are willing to travel
Original post by spequa
Hi, so to cut to the chase I'd like to study Architecture at university, but I'd be a mature applicant and don't have A Levels.

I've really tried to find a suitable Access Course, but there aren't any relevant ones local to me. Most universities stipulate that Maths needs to make up a good chunk of your credits, but it seems like courses that actually contain Maths are pretty uncommon.

I'd personally much prefer to attend in person, but I have also looked at distance learning and I'm finding nothing. The only course that sounds somewhat relevant is from 'Aspire': https://www.aspirecourses.com/courses/access/science-engineering

But I'm pretty alarmed at this, "[we] provide you with varied activities to help your learning in each unit, such as quizzes, crosswords and word searches". It just makes it sound like some kind of joke.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to maneuver this. I was desperately trying to relocate before the September term beginning, but I failed. I've contacted colleges, but I'm being told it's too late to enroll at this point. I've lost the 2019-2020 academic year and now just have a year's worth of dead time. It's frustrating. I already have so many years to catch up on and now I have yet another on top of it.

Hi there @spequa

As @adam271 says, an Access to HE: Engineering is quite likely to be the best choice for gaining a place on a an architecture undergraduate course due to the amount of maths included. I'd add on that ideally, look for a course in a brick college as opposed to an online one, purely for the reason you can then apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for the course.

Fi :horse:
Original post by spequa

Hello! In terms of Access to HE pathways with a lot of maths credits on, I know Access to HE Engineering typically has a lot of maths on it. When it says about ""[we] provide you with varied activities to help your learning in each unit, such as quizzes, crosswords and word searches" they are just trying to make the program sound very engaging and catering for all learning styles - I know because I have designed some of the online version of Access programs. I teach on Access in a classroom and we do quizes on a rainy friday afternoon sometimes about the subject.

Speak to your local vocational college and see if they know which course would be best for you

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending