The Student Room Group

If you could move anywhere in the Midlands, or North of England where would it be

Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool or anywhere else?

Need to balance quality of area, expense of rents with availability of jobs in said place. I've been trying to work it out for ages and struggling.
Any suggestions

Scroll to see replies

I live in Derbyshire, borderline Nottinghamshire and I’d love to move to Liverpool. I know nothing about living expenses really, except that I’ve seen a few properties that I could probably afford by myself. I don’t want to live in a city, but maybe on the outskirts since I’ve lived in a small village all my life.

P.S. there’s nothing where I am but fields and the Peak District.
Reply 2
back to liverpool, city centre or the ancestral homelands of dingle and chinatown

work means that this is unlikely
Reply 3
Mud and gloom of the Midlands. Robin Hood land and where I grew up.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
back to liverpool, city centre or the ancestral homelands of dingle and chinatown

work means that this is unlikely

What do you call a Scouser with a job? A benefit cheat... rofl.
Birmingham seems quite attractive if just because of its size and central location.
Reply 6
Original post by Vinny C
What do you call a Scouser with a job? A benefit cheat... rofl.

:rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by twist-and-shout
I live in Derbyshire, borderline Nottinghamshire and I’d love to move to Liverpool. I know nothing about living expenses really, except that I’ve seen a few properties that I could probably afford by myself. I don’t want to live in a city, but maybe on the outskirts since I’ve lived in a small village all my life.

P.S. there’s nothing where I am but fields and the Peak District.

Some people would say a village in the middle of nowhere is heaven, but if you want nightlife, more job opportunities and stuff to do then I know what you mean. I am not a fan of big cities either, I want to be on the outskirts but near either East Midlands or Liverpool airport as I fly a lot. Newcastle doesn't go one of the places that I travel to unfortunately. I never have met an unfriendly Scouser. Some places around Notts aren't too expensive either.
Reply 8
Brexit capital of the UK aka Stoke-on-Trent!

Spoiler

@Blue_Cow
Original post by Deyesy
Brexit capital of the UK aka Stoke-on-Trent!

Spoiler

@Blue_Cow

God bless
Reply 10
Original post by Blue_Cow
God bless

We should definitely bless those Brexiteers in the Midlands
Dream would be to move to Durham/Newcastle but I'm settling for Derby
Reply 12
On a serious note, either Manchester or Nottingham.

I lived in Manchester for four years and just fell in love with the city. I'd give my big left toe to live there again.
I'm happy in Leamington for now, it is beautiful town with wonderful parks. Rent is quite high but worth it for the town.
Birmingham :tongue:
Original post by Glaz
Birmingham :tongue:

Why? :afraid:
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Why? :afraid:

My bro used to live there and I loved it :tongue:
Apart from holidays, I have never set foot outside of London into other parts of England. It will probably be like stepping into the twilight zone for me.

Maybe Cornwall, it looks calm there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dancehead
Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool or anywhere else?

Need to balance quality of area, expense of rents with availability of jobs in said place. I've been trying to work it out for ages and struggling.
Any suggestions

Manchester.
How / why did you leave that off your list?
Reply 19
Because the rents and house prices are high there and the airport doesn't have the routes I want. Stoke on trent I considered a few years back but the housing has got expensive there too. And I'm not sure there are many jobs there. Everyone sold it on well it's only an hour to Liverpool and so and so... Might as well be in Liverpool then. Liverpool is expensive now too :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending