The Student Room Group

Is the U.K. full?

Why do some many people want to move to the U.K.? Where I live, I don’t hear People speaking English, I hear African, polish, Spanish. Has immigration caused the housing crisis/ high rents/ doctor shortage/ overcrowded on public transport. I feel sorry for teachers who have so many children with different language. The U.K. is going to have the biggest population in Europe in 10 years time.

Scroll to see replies

Hard to say that immigration alone has caused the issues linked to overpopulation (9.3 million people in the UK are migrants yet there are 66 million people in the UK) but yes if levels continue to increase at this rate then a serious issue can be projected - the issues with doctor shortages are largely due to the demographics of the country; we have a disproportionately large number of old people in the UK which strains the NHS significantly. - Alcohol consumption impacts the NHS significantly too and obviously thats caused less by certain migrants. Also 'African' isn't a language - its a free country anyway, people can speak whatever they like; I do agree however, that speaking no English at all is an issue.
1. Where do you live? Are you racially deaf?
2. Housing crisis is to do with supply and demand. We dont build houses low cost housing.
3. Care to show us the evidence of Britain having the largest population in Europe in ten years time or did you just make it up?

Tbf you just sound like a xenophobic anti immigrant troll.
Original post by Levi.-
Hard to say that immigration alone has caused the issues linked to overpopulation (9.3 million people in the UK are migrants yet there are 66 million people in the UK) but yes if levels continue to increase at this rate then a serious issue can be projected - the issues with doctor shortages are largely due to the demographics of the country; we have a disproportionately large number of old people in the UK which strains the NHS significantly. - Alcohol consumption impacts the NHS significantly too and obviously thats caused less by certain migrants. Also 'African' isn't a language - its a free country anyway, people can speak whatever they like; I do agree however, that speaking no English at all is an issue.

You will then also know EU citizens make up a disproportionate mounts of medical staff in the NHS.
Original post by 999tigger
You will then also know EU citizens make up a disproportionate mounts of medical staff in the NHS.

Yes of course
India has a higher population density than the UK.

Without immigration the UK's population would be declining.
Statistics show that around 2100 the UK will have the largest population in Europe and the biggest economy?

Is this going to happen?

no-one knows...
Kitchens for sale

ring 01928 2983882 for great deals today
Majority of immigrants from EU and Asia speak decent English from day one and have an equivalent education/training as locals, that is quite handy if you need to hire more than just few people and there are simply none available.
The reality is that who wants to have a job, does have a job, so finding decent and available people is really hard. It's quite different when it comes to people immigrating from Africa or Middle East, they tend to be completely illiterate and often never had a real job. They don't really add much to the Kingdom. :biggrin:
Yep, high house prices and rents are totallly not the result of a chronic lack of house building.

And there is literally no way that our ageing population is putting pressure on the NHS. Nothing to do with the fact that a 65 year old costs the NHS two and a half times that of a 30 year old, or that for a 85 year old its five times as much.
Speaking "African"...
Reply 11
You could fit the entire world's population in New Zealand - 7.7 billion people.

The UK's population is just a tiny fraction of that. So I think it's fair to say that the UK is far, far from full. If anything, geographically speaking, it's quite empty.

I think when people say the UK is full up, they're thinking of limited hospital beds, school places, GPs per person, houses available etc etc. They're issues easily solved with more government money and investment to account for the extra people.

More people in the UK = more people paying tax = more money available for the government to spend catering for the extra people
I hear African woooooowwwwwwww
African is a language now?
Original post by Pencil
You could fit the entire world's population in New Zealand - 7.7 billion people.

The UK's population is just a tiny fraction of that. So I think it's fair to say that the UK is far, far from full. If anything, geographically speaking, it's quite empty.

I think when people say the UK is full up, they're thinking of limited hospital beds, school places, GPs per person, houses available etc etc. They're issues easily solved with more government money and investment to account for the extra people.

More people in the UK = more people paying tax = more money available for the government to spend catering for the extra people

I dub thee ‘woke’. But seriously wow, it’s crazy how the media will change the narrative and act like the uk might sink if more people enter.
The UK is only full when service supply cannot at all meet the demand to an acceptable degree.
Reply 16
Social housing - years of waiting lists

NHS - years of waiting lists

Roads - overflowing and constant delays

Benefits system - at breaking point

Brownfield sites for residential building - going quickly

Homeless on streets - growing daily

Out of the larger countries in Europe the UK is by far the densest by population so please do some research before you start spouting about there being plenty of room and showing yourself to be an imbecile.
Reply 17
Seriously?
Reply 18
Original post by Pencil

I feel the Kiwis might take slight offence at trying to dump of worlds flotsam and jetsam into 'gods own country'.

Mass migration has decreased wages for low skilled labourers, put increased strain on public services like schools (a quarter of births each year in the UK are to Non-UK citizens), prisons (EU Migrants cost on average £140 million each year to the UK Taxpayer). The strain on housing, (if the UK maintains it's current immigration figures until 2040, houses will literally need to be built every 4 minutes day and night to sustain it).

That's not even including the severe cultural/social problems that will (and already have) risen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending