The Student Room Group

Calories and food scales

How do you work out how many grams of crisps you’ve eaten. Would it be accurate to dump out the crisps in a bowl and weigh it? Would that kind of be accurate? Then minus the grams it says in the bag...
Does that make sense,
Reply 1
Yeah, put the bowl on the scale then set the scale to zero, then add the crisps to the bowl and read the added weight of crisps. That’s the weight u have eaten (if ur eating the ones in the bowl):
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Emiluu
Yeah, put the bowl on the scale then set the scale to zero, then add the crisps to the bowl and read the added weight of crisps. That’s the weight u have eaten (if ur eating the ones in the bowl):

Thanksss xx. I got another question. Say I ate 1,300cals today and burned like 650cals ,does that mean I basically ate 650cals?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanksss xx. I got another question. Say I ate 1,300cals today and burned like 650cals ,does that mean I basically ate 650cals?

U would have a net calorie intake of 650, yes. Although that is probably too low. <800 is bad (most say <1200 but if ur burning a lot off through exercise then u should still be getting nutrients). Still be careful I did something like u and my body started shutting down basically (which actually slows metabolism and ur body tries to store fat). This sounds like a crash diet so don’t do it too long or it will have serious consequences.
How do you work out how many grams of crisps you’ve eaten. Would it be accurate to dump out the crisps in a bowl and weigh it? Would that kind of be accurate? Then minus the grams it says in the bag...
Does that make sense,

If you're not having the whole bag, another way of doing it is to weight the full bag, zero the scale, take what you want out of the bag and then put it back on the scale. The 'negative' number shown on it is equal to the amount you've eaten.

If you did eat that little, then you need to eat more if you want to lose weight sensibly and reliably.
Does that make sense,

Packet weights are just estimates. Scales plus use something like MFP is the better way of maintaining a more accurate deficit.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
If you're not having the whole bag, another way of doing it is to weight the full bag, zero the scale, take what you want out of the bag and then put it back on the scale. The 'negative' number shown on it is equal to the amount you've eaten.

If you did eat that little, then you need to eat more if you want to lose weight sensibly and reliably.

I was out so I couldn’t really weigh it lol but thanks xx I’ll try it next time and it was just an example xx
I was out so I couldn’t really weigh it lol but thanks xx I’ll try it next time and it was just an example xx

Great :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Emiluu
U would have a net calorie intake of 650, yes. Although that is probably too low. <800 is bad (most say <1200 but if ur burning a lot off through exercise then u should still be getting nutrients). Still be careful I did something like u and my body started shutting down basically (which actually slows metabolism and ur body tries to store fat). This sounds like a crash diet so don’t do it too long or it will have serious consequences.

Ooh makes sense xx. As I said above, it was just an example xx. Thanks a bunch, you actually helped a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest