The Student Room Group

Mum had an abortion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ساره
Just wondering do you think abortion is ever the okay option due to certain circumstances??

never acceptable.
Original post by Leviathan1611
never acceptable.

What do you do if you found a close friend had one?
Original post by jeremycorBIN
Murder.

Apart from your view, I think abortion is not bad at 100%, depends on the circumstances. Raped women and dysfunctional family for instance.
never acceptable.

Even if someone was for example sexually assaulted or family issues happened ect?

Spoiler

Original post by Professional G
What do you do if you found a close friend had one?

depends, if they were glad they did it, we're no longer friends.

if they regret it and feel bad about it, I'd still be mad at them, but I'll get over it quickly and help them move on and not hang it over their head.
Original post by ساره
Even if someone was for example sexually assaulted or family issues happened ect?

Spoiler

as I already said, never acceptable.
as I already said, never acceptable.

Wow
depends, if they were glad they did it, we're no longer friends.

if they regret it and feel bad about it, I'd still be mad at them, but I'll get over it quickly and help them move on and not hang it over their head.

I’m guessing it will be the same reaction if this was your child in this case? I think you’ll find extremely difficult to find someone who has zero remorse after abortion.
I’m guessing it will be the same reaction if this was your child in this case? I think you’ll find extremely difficult to find someone who has zero remorse after abortion.

Fr abortion for people is usually the last resort I believe

yes except I wouldn't disown my child, I just won't talk to them as much. I'd probably check up on them every once in a while to see if they're alive and well and help them out if they need help but I think that'd probably be it.
Original post by ساره
Fr abortion for people is usually the last resort I believe

That’s why I don’t believe in the whole abortion is murder thing. Let those pro life people ask those in care how their lives have been. In 2018, there’s 75,000 kids still in care. Imagine growing up without having parents who loved you enough to take care of you?
Reply 111
Original post by Anonymous
How would you feel if your mum did this? And had your sibling's life ended? And therefore killed. Wouldn't you feel a member of your family is missing? Would you feel lucky that she didn't use her womb as an execution chamber for you? Would you thank your mum at least she spared your life, because you know having stable finance is what really counts. If she didn't have that you would have been given the saline wash or skull cracking treatment. That's just life.. or death, ahem sorry I mean "abortion"...no life or death involved when there's a developing human baby of course.

My mum has actually done one before, yes I was around at the time. I don’t know about other people but my mum had to really struggle to come to that decision, I know she regrets it to this day. That said it was her choice to make and she made it. I don’t care much for my lost half sibling because I’d never met it or bonded with it. Just because I’m related to someone doesn’t mean I instantly have a bond with them, nor does it mean that I desire to have one. It doesn’t feel good to think “what would she have done if she was making this decision when she was pregnant with me” but I guess it doesn’t really matter since at the end of the day I’m here and those who never existed don’t have the opportunity or ability to wonder about the alternate ways their lives could have gone. I do think that many of the women who decide to have an abortion do think about the what ifs and quite possibly have some feeling of regret deep down inside. I still remember the day after where my mum was crying in my arms saying that she wonders if her baby in heaven hates her for ending it’s life before it was born.

That said you also have a right to an opinion just like how your mum has the right to have an abortion if she wants.
Reply 112
sounds like I did, mum makes a choice, I don't like it and and complain. pretty much the same thing isn't it?

No. You , in my opinion , you don"t have a right to an opinion on an abortion that is not yours. My view is more extreme view than yours!
Original post by mgi
No. You , in my opinion , you don"t have a right to an opinion on an abortion that is not yours. My view is more extreme view than yours!

I'm not saying our views are the same, but your post earlier was pretty much what I said in the beginning. that's all.
I have unconditional love for my mother. She is the best woman I know, no matter what her faults may be. And knowing she had an abortion wouldn’t change that fact, despite whatever my opinion on it. What she needs is support, not hate or exclusion for her choices. She’s the one who knows her life and her body the best, so the decision would have likely been a calculated one, thought over for a long time with a good reason behind it. I wouldn’t feel any hate to my mother, sadness perhaps if I could see she was suffering emotionally in any way.
I don’t see it as how you have described it, so I wouldn’t feel the same way as you would.
I think when it comes down to it, it’s not really my business, and I would feel really guilty if I had found out this information as it is really private information about her health
I would feel sad for my mum for even being in such a difficult situation in the first place and had to decide that abortion was the best option. If I was aborted I wouldn’t exactly have a chance to be angry about it so while I’m thankful for many things that my mother has done for me I’m not exactly thankful for just...being a successful pregnancy I guess? I’m not gonna miss any potential sibling’s life from an aborted pregnancy any more than I miss the potential children that I lose every month and mourn their untimely death.
Original post by VGM
My mum has actually done one before, yes I was around at the time. I don’t know about other people but my mum had to really struggle to come to that decision, I know she regrets it to this day. That said it was her choice to make and she made it. I don’t care much for my lost half sibling because I’d never met it or bonded with it. Just because I’m related to someone doesn’t mean I instantly have a bond with them, nor does it mean that I desire to have one. It doesn’t feel good to think “what would she have done if she was making this decision when she was pregnant with me” but I guess it doesn’t really matter since at the end of the day I’m here and those who never existed don’t have the opportunity or ability to wonder about the alternate ways their lives could have gone. I do think that many of the women who decide to have an abortion do think about the what ifs and quite possibly have some feeling of regret deep down inside. I still remember the day after where my mum was crying in my arms saying that she wonders if her baby in heaven hates her for ending it’s life before it was born.

That said you also have a right to an opinion just like how your mum has the right to have an abortion if she wants.

Thanks for sharing that and I'm sure it has been really hard for your mum. That's also something I think more attention should be drawn to, that it's highly likely that there will be feelings of regret and emotional problems afterwards. Not for everyone, but it's a risk. I know the OP was a bit over the top, I am not actually that judgemental. I hope your mum has made peace with her decision, I'm sure she was in a difficult place.
I am not some crazy pro-lifer, I don't think a zygote or even a developing unborn baby should have the same rights as a fully grown person. I just think abortion shouldn't be seen as as acceptable as it is and we shouldn't overlook the barbarity of the action, hiding behind clever euphemistic language. If we face up to what it really is, maybe less people will do it and will tough it out raising a child before they have got that promotion or the house they wanted. An abortion shouldn't be seen as another convenience for the already pampered western woman's lifestyle. A child born into "underprivilege" today in the UK will have a better life than every child born 200 years ago and every baby born in the majority of places in the world today.

It’s not. Abortion is healthcare.
Original post by giella
It’s not. Abortion is healthcare.

That's not an honest description of the brutal killing of a small developing baby, that's a euphemism of a euphemism. You guys just keep worming yourselves around with your clever language and thought games to avoid the barbaric nature of the reality.
That's not an honest description of the brutal killing of a small developing baby, that's a euphemism of a euphemism. You guys just keep worming yourselves around with your clever language and thought games to avoid the barbaric nature of the reality.

Healthcare is medical or psychosocial intervention in a body’s processes. That is what abortion is. It’s a fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending