The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely at college

Hi, I just started college about 10 weeks ago and I’m really having trouble making friends & talking to new people. Everyone else seems to know each other really well in my courses, especially French, since I’m the only one who went to my old secondary school in that course. I get one with people and can talk to them in class, but most of them ignore me outside of class since they’re with their own friend group, and I’d love to join them but something tells me they’d rather not. To be completely honest, I don’t mind being alone but you can only eat lunch alone so many times before you feel like you have no one. It also feels like it’s too late to make any friends since the “grace period” from the very start of college is over. It seems like such a childish issue for me to talk about to anyone, and even if I were to, I’m not sure WHO to talk to. Apologies if I’m being self-loathing, just want some advice on how I can put myself out there! Thank you!
don't worry, you'll soon make friends! you could join a club, and talk to people outside of class whenever you can, it doesnt matter who you talk to just get talking! Smiley friendly people will make friends no matter what !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I just started college about 10 weeks ago and I’m really having trouble making friends & talking to new people. Everyone else seems to know each other really well in my courses, especially French, since I’m the only one who went to my old secondary school in that course. I get one with people and can talk to them in class, but most of them ignore me outside of class since they’re with their own friend group, and I’d love to join them but something tells me they’d rather not. To be completely honest, I don’t mind being alone but you can only eat lunch alone so many times before you feel like you have no one. It also feels like it’s too late to make any friends since the “grace period” from the very start of college is over. It seems like such a childish issue for me to talk about to anyone, and even if I were to, I’m not sure WHO to talk to. Apologies if I’m being self-loathing, just want some advice on how I can put myself out there! Thank you!

Hey dude - don't even feel like you're self-loathing, everyone has issues and deserves to be heard and to talk it out with someone. I get you completely - I was like this when i first started my job. Just remind yourself that you're not alone and you can always talk on here or really, to anyone about these issues - who cares about what you sound like.

So this 'grace period' - how did everyone find their own groups so quickly? Was there some kind of intervention before this college started or something similar to freshers?

You said but something tells me they’d rather not --> You seriously shouldn't be assuming stuff about these people. It feels like you're only thinking people don't want you in their groups due to a low self esteem issue you got going on. The only way you're really gonna know is if you just ask them - that's literally the ONLY way. If they actually don't want you then f*ck em' and move onto other people who might. Communication is the only way.

Yes eating alone every single day will drive you to insanity so we need to help you get through this so this doesn't happen anymore - I read up a couple of articles that say having a mobile phone full of social media where you 'talk' to people is not enough for our weak little human brains... we crave and need physical attention and face-to-face communication.

I think you should tag along with people from your class before lunch e.g. if French is right before lunch and you get along with some peeps, follow them out of class and ask them what they're doing for lunch and see if you can join them. Simples :smile: Like i said, if they seem off then do not go with them - nothing worse than faking your way through college being with people who clearly don't like you and just enjoy having you chase them like a dog.

it’s too late to make any friends --> no way dude. In my 2nd year of college, I made new friends - better friends than in my first year! So nah it's never too late.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Cheesychips2
don't worry, you'll soon make friends! you could join a club, and talk to people outside of class whenever you can, it doesnt matter who you talk to just get talking! Smiley friendly people will make friends no matter what !

Hi, thank you for your response! I’m thinking of joining the table top games society at my college it just makes me a bit nervous entering a room of people I don’t know! Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 21ForEva
Hey dude - don't even feel like you're self-loathing, everyone has issues and deserves to be heard and to talk it out with someone. I get you completely - I was like this when i first started my job. Just remind yourself that you're not alone and you can always talk on here or really, to anyone about these issues - who cares about what you sound like.

So this 'grace period' - how did everyone find their own groups so quickly? Was there some kind of intervention before this college started or something similar to freshers?

You said but something tells me they’d rather not --> You seriously shouldn't be assuming stuff about these people. It feels like you're only thinking people don't want you in their groups due to a low self esteem issue you got going on. The only way you're really gonna know is if you just ask them - that's literally the ONLY way. If they actually don't want you then f*ck em' and move onto other people who might. Communication is the only way.

Yes eating alone every single day will drive you to insanity so we need to help you get through this so this doesn't happen anymore - I read up a couple of articles that say having a mobile phone full of social media where you 'talk' to people is not enough for our weak little human brains... we crave and need physical attention and face-to-face communication.

I think you should tag along with people from your class before lunch e.g. if French is right before lunch and you get along with some peeps, follow them out of class and ask them what they're doing for lunch and see if you can join them. Simples :smile: Like i said, if they seem off then do not go with them - nothing worse than faking your way through college being with people who clearly don't like you and just enjoy having you chase them like a dog.

it’s too late to make any friends --> no way dude. In my 2nd year of college, I made new friends - better friends than in my first year! So nah it's never too late.

Thank you for your response!! I feel bad assuming that they don’t want to talk to me but every time I try to make small talk it just backfires, they either don’t reply or give me a small answer and go back to whatever they were doing.

I’m not quite sure how everyone found friends so quickly !! They all just seem to know each other from their old secondary schools, and they just clicked pretty well. I would love to ask to join them! But I’m just so intimidated :frown: This sounds cliché but they all seem so cool, and I feel, well, boring lol. I don’t have French before lunch in my timetable so it makes it quite difficult to join them at lunch since I don’t know any of them that well... and the table they sit at is usually full.

My French teacher has noticed this since when I sit by myself in lesson during partner work I usually end up doing the work myself instead of, you know, with a partner and asked me if I want to move elsewhere. I told her I really don’t mind but I do want to explain my situation to her!! So I will on Monday.

I know I can make friends at any point during the two years!! I know in Year 11 at my secondary I made so many friends. Just starting college makes me so nervous with so many new people and no one I know that well, it feels so lonely. My friends don’t share my frees so I do end up sitting alone during them and it is soul crushing I will not lie!!

But thank you so much! It is reassuring to know that I’m not the only one. Once I get over this phobia of talking to people, college will be a breeze, but I’m not sure how to get over this without making a fool out of myself !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending