The Student Room Group

What is Turkish high school like?

hi,
so i'm a british person who moved to turkey recently, and i just want to know a little more about how school works over there?
if anyone knows or has experience with this it would help a lott
i think i would be in the 3rd year, so what type of classes are taught at that time?
thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by noodleb
hi,
so i'm a british person who moved to turkey recently, and i just want to know a little more about how school works over there?
if anyone knows or has experience with this it would help a lott
i think i would be in the 3rd year, so what type of classes are taught at that time?
thank you!!

Hello there!

I am a Turkish citizen who recently moved into the UK. I am 31 now so I won't be really up-to-date but let me try.

For the last decade the whole primary-middle-high school system has gone through changes in Turkey. So now I believe it is 4 years of high school beginning usually at the age of 15. So the 3th year means 11th grade which contains 17-year old students. If you're good with your Turkish language, please have a look at this link as it gives quite a perspective:

http://mufredat.meb.gov.tr/Dosyalar/201821102727101-OGM%20MATEMAT%C4%B0K%20PRG%2020.01.2018.pdf

What I can see is that the 11th class maths includes binary functions, polynomials, quadratic equations, probability. As for geometry, the hardest part should definitely be trigonometry.

If you google "meb 11. sınıf müfredatı" I am sure you will find tons of documents for other subjects as well including the official ones. Because MEB publishes online the details of the official syllabus each year.

One thing to consider is the school you are attending. Some high schools give priority to science and maths and others to foreign language or social sciences. Your experience as a student will deeply vary in correlation to the school which you will attend. Language schools seem to be a bit on the loose side with remarkable social interaction going on; whereas science schools are a bit nerdy and more disciplinary as you can imagine, lots of people give high priority to exam results there. There used to be Anatolian High Schools which consisted very different range of student types; those were the ones that were harder to survive as a teenager because there were all kinds of students including the weird ones or bullies. However, Anatolian High Schools might have changed substantially since my time so your best bet would be taking real time advice if you were in a crossroads where you did not decide your school yet. There are also many private schools in which there are lots of rich kids and the ambience can be quite posh, even though the quality of education usually lags as it is in high correlation with the average student level.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Turker
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending