The Student Room Group

Mental Health

Does anyone know any free help or free therapists I can get for mental health if I'm under 18. I dnt want my parents to know abt it and I've realised self help just isn't working. But I want to get better because i know that it's getting worse as the days go by.
Same. I don’t even wanna tell a doctor tho. I’m worried I’ll get diagnosed with something and then be medically confined to feeling depressed and taking pills but then if I don’t get diagnosed I’ll just feel like I’m losing my mind.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Same. I don’t even wanna tell a doctor tho. I’m worried I’ll get diagnosed with something and then be medically confined to feeling depressed and taking pills but then if I don’t get diagnosed I’ll just feel like I’m losing my mind.

I feel youu. I've heard pills make it worse and that if u go to a doctor they'll.give u the choice of either taking pills or just speaking to a therapist (not sure if that's true tho). Tbh I just need professional help but I dnt know how to get it😭
due to the fact that youre under 18 i think. your parents woukd have to sign off on care, i'm not entirely sure on that fact however
without knowing your issues its hard to say what would help, and im not going to ask your issues either. thats your concern, you have no obligation to tell them to a stranger on the internet
CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health support) are the general psychological support provided across the uk through the NHS, though this does mean wait times can be very long
there are also individual mental health services one can apply to (self referral), though depending on your county these may have different rules and regulations for eligibility. i got my link to my local service looking up CBT on the NHS website, that may be a good place to start just to get to your local directory
other than that there are services like child line, mind, the samaritans, and numerous others
if you feel you are a danger to yourself or others please call the national suicide prevention hotline or the appropriate emergency services to get in the moment support
otherwise all i can suggest is speaking to your school about getting some form of support, but telling them youd be uncomfortable with your parents knowing. you may be able to frame it as an afterschool club
dont assume medication will fix the issue you have too. all it does is level the playing field so you have a good enough chance at getting back on your feet
wishing you the best
Does anyone know any free help or free therapists I can get for mental health if I'm under 18. I dnt want my parents to know abt it and I've realised self help just isn't working. But I want to get better because i know that it's getting worse as the days go by.

I had mental health problems and I spoke to a teacher I trusted and she passed onto my head of year and they set me up with the school counsellor. Try speaking to your school, they’ll be a massive help
Reply 5
Original post by princetonalec
due to the fact that youre under 18 i think. your parents woukd have to sign off on care, i'm not entirely sure on that fact however
without knowing your issues its hard to say what would help, and im not going to ask your issues either. thats your concern, you have no obligation to tell them to a stranger on the internet
CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health support) are the general psychological support provided across the uk through the NHS, though this does mean wait times can be very long
there are also individual mental health services one can apply to (self referral), though depending on your county these may have different rules and regulations for eligibility. i got my link to my local service looking up CBT on the NHS website, that may be a good place to start just to get to your local directory
other than that there are services like child line, mind, the samaritans, and numerous others
if you feel you are a danger to yourself or others please call the national suicide prevention hotline or the appropriate emergency services to get in the moment support
otherwise all i can suggest is speaking to your school about getting some form of support, but telling them youd be uncomfortable with your parents knowing. you may be able to frame it as an afterschool club
dont assume medication will fix the issue you have too. all it does is level the playing field so you have a good enough chance at getting back on your feet
wishing you the best

Thankk youu for that I appreciate it loads. I've tried most of these services in the past but it didn't rlly help mainly due to the fact that it just consisted of me explaining my issues and them telling me that I should tell a trusted adult and speak out more. If anything I just need someone to give me professional guidelines and a specific plan on getting better. If I was to tell my skwl they would most likely tell my parents as they wouldn't want to hide a personal matter like thsi away from the individuals parents themselves. I just dnt want to put my parents through a lot by making them be involved with the state of my mental health, they dnt deserve to go through something like this especially when they already have a lot to deal with on there own plate. Like I dnt want to be a burden towards them if that makes sense.
Reply 6
I had mental health problems and I spoke to a teacher I trusted and she passed onto my head of year and they set me up with the school counsellor. Try speaking to your school, they’ll be a massive help

My skwls pretty crap. They haven't got anyone who can help with issues like that.
if you’re 16 or 17 you might be able to see somebody without your parents knowing. i got a counsellor through my gp at 16 and i’m pretty sure my parents were only involved because i voluntarily used their phone numbers. of course it depends on your areas services and stuff tho, have you been to your gp to ask about it? or even maybe rang them?
Thankk youu for that I appreciate it loads. I've tried most of these services in the past but it didn't rlly help mainly due to the fact that it just consisted of me explaining my issues and them telling me that I should tell a trusted adult and speak out more. If anything I just need someone to give me professional guidelines and a specific plan on getting better. If I was to tell my skwl they would most likely tell my parents as they wouldn't want to hide a personal matter like thsi away from the individuals parents themselves. I just dnt want to put my parents through a lot by making them be involved with the state of my mental health, they dnt deserve to go through something like this especially when they already have a lot to deal with on there own plate. Like I dnt want to be a burden towards them if that makes sense.

i think your parents would rather know you need help than find out when its potentially too late. please seek the help you need and stay safe
My skwls pretty crap. They haven't got anyone who can help with issues like that.

That’s false, schools always have contacts, it’s essential for your safety
if you’re 16 or 17 you might be able to see somebody without your parents knowing. i got a counsellor through my gp at 16 and i’m pretty sure my parents were only involved because i voluntarily used their phone numbers. of course it depends on your areas services and stuff tho, have you been to your gp to ask about it? or even maybe rang them?

No I haven't since I'm scared they might contact my parents. Did getting a counseller help u by any chance?
That’s false, schools always have contacts, it’s essential for your safety

The most they can do is contact your parents and have a meeting with them

most if not all schools have mental health professionals on staff to help with students in crisis situations - i had support for this when i was at school

Every school has a counsellor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending