The Student Room Group

The University ignores me!

What can I do about it? I sent them multiple emails but I got no response.

I did send them a couple of months ago other emails about other things and I got no response. It's been 3-4 months since the day that I sent the first email.

Now I did send them again an email about something else, it's been a month and I got no response.

What can I do? I tried to call them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2019

I did send them a couple of months ago other emails about other things and I got no response. It's been 3-4 months since the day that I sent the first email.

Now I did send them again an email about something else, it's been a month and I got no response.

What can I do? I tried to call them.

Are you an applicant, student, someone else?
-who are you emailing? What about?
Original post by mnot
Are you an applicant, student, someone else?
-who are you emailing? What about?

I'm a student and I emailed my department.
(edited 4 years ago)

maybe try to file a complaint against them. I do not know if that is possible but if it is then do it!

Maybe stop emailing, turn up and speak to someone face-to-face. It's still possible in the 21st century.

Hard to say without knowing more, but I would email the course director or personal tutor (if you haven't yet), if you have then 2 things try,
1) forward the email to head of department or someone senior, CC'in the person whos not replied and ask for a response...
2) Go knock on office doors. (get the email up on your phone before you do this).
3) Students services go complain... if you still get no where. (its only 2 emails, its very possible they viewed this as low priority, intended to come back to it but their inbox got flooded, some people are very busy. Depends who your dealing with),
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
Maybe stop emailing, turn up and speak to someone face-to-face. It's still possible in the 21st century.

I will do that tomorrow thanks. I will give you un update lol. Not that you asked but I am hopeless.
Original post by mnot
Hard to say without knowing more, but I would email the course director or personal tutor (if you haven't yet), if you have then 2 things try,
1) forward the email to head of department or someone senior, CC'in the person whos not replied and ask for a response...
2) Go knock on office doors. (get the email up on your phone before you do this).
3) Students services go complain... if you still get no where. (its only 2 emails, its very possible they viewed this as low priority, intended to come back to it but their inbox got flooded, some people are very busy. Depends who your dealing with),

Thank you so much for your help!! I will do that tomorrow and I will give you un update.
Original post by emily_000
maybe try to file a complaint against them. I do not know if that is possible but if it is then do it!

thank you! I will try to see tomorrow what can I do about it. I will give you an update.
I went there today but they told me that there is nothing that they can do and that I should email them again. That they are a very busy department and it takes them a long time to respond,

I feel like all these are excuses, they literally ignore me for months.

Send them again an email, if they don't respond to you then file a complaint against them. As I said I don't know if you can do that but try
Send them again an email, if they don't respond to you then file a complaint against them. As I said I don't know if you can do that but try

okay thanks, I will try that. If you think of anything else please do tell me.
Original post by mnot

Original post by threeportdrift

I went there today but they told me that there is nothing that they can do and that I should email them again. That they are a very busy department and it takes them a long time to respond,

When you email them CC' in their someone senior: head of school/department/course director, and start it as a forward so they can see they've already ignored you once, and mention in that email you've been waiting months for a reply & flag it as high priority on outlook.

If you dont get a response go knock on your course directors office door, saying you feel this is unacceptable.
Original post by mnot
When you email them CC' in their someone senior: head of school/department/course director, and start it as a forward so they can see they've already ignored you once, and mention in that email you've been waiting months for a reply & flag it as high priority on outlook.

If you dont get a response go knock on your course directors office door, saying you feel this is unacceptable.

I flagged all my emails as high priority on outlook. Okay thanks I will try to go to his office and also to my tutors office. I hope that this is going to help the situation. If not I will you an update.
Have you spoken to your course rep and your student union about this?
They are there to represent you and help you navigate the university systems. Use them.

So what you don't say is what this is about and who you tried to contact. Some staff will get hundreds of emails per week so something that is off topic for them or looks trivial will likely just get deleted. Can you give a sense of the problem you are trying to fix ? No point raising a complaint with the Head of Department about something trivial that you can sort out by dropping by your personal tutor in office hours. Then again, if its financial melt down / serious health issue / plagiarism case etc then you need to be clear about who you need to talk to.

>> I flagged all my emails as high priority on outlook.

Nope, never pay attention to that, what a sender things is high priority will likely be quite different to the receivers
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mr Wednesday
So what you don't say is what this is about and who you tried to contact. Some staff will get hundreds of emails per week so something that is off topic for them or looks trivial will likely just get deleted. Can you give a sense of the problem you are trying to fix ? No point raising a complaint with the Head of Department about something trivial that you can sort out by dropping by your personal tutor in office hours. Then again, if its financial melt down / serious health issue / plagiarism case etc then you need to be clear about who you need to talk to.

>> I flagged all my emails as high priority on outlook.

Nope, never pay attention to that, what a sender things is high priority will likely be quite different to the receivers

In the beginning I was asking them what kind of evidence I want for compelling personal reasons but I never got a response (that was 3-4 months ago). After that I got in contact with Student Finance and they told me what kind of evidence I do need. So now I did send them an email asking for a letter. And again I got no response. (It's been a month). So basically they ignore me. Student Finance is not going to give me the loan next year if I don't do the application for compelling personal reasons and without the letter from the university I cannot do it. As I need evidence for the whole year and the university is the only person that can give me that. My doctor gave me evidence only for the 2nd semester. I asked my doctor if he can give me evidence for the 1st semester and he told me that he cannot do that.

I tried to contact my department. When I called them they told me that the university is going to get in contact with me in a few months. The deadline for the loans is until the end of May. I cannot wait until then, I cannot understand why they do not respond to my emails or why they are not willing to give me the letter that I want.
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to your course rep and your student union about this?
They are there to represent you and help you navigate the university systems. Use them.

No, I will try that tomorrow thank you! I will give you an update
In the beginning I was asking them what kind of evidence I want for compelling personal reasons but I never got a response (that was 3-4 months ago). After that I got in contact with Student Finance and they told me what kind of evidence I do need. So now I did send them an email asking for a letter. And again I got no response. (It's been a month). So basically they ignore me. Student Finance is not going to give me the loan next year if I don't do the application for compelling personal reasons and without the letter from the university I cannot do it. As I need evidence for the whole year and the university is the only person that can give me that. My doctor gave me evidence only for the 2nd semester. I asked my doctor if he can give me evidence for the 1st semester and he told me that he cannot do that.

I tried to contact my department. When I called them they told me that the university is going to get in contact with me in a few months. The deadline for the loans is until the end of May. I cannot wait until then, I cannot understand why they do not respond to my emails or why they are not willing to give me the letter that I want.

Who are you emailing? Because this sounds like its not something for your department, and if your emailing someone who isnt responsible for this perhaps they are just deleting it (some people dont have time to respond to all emails...).
(edited 4 years ago)

Jheeze, what university do you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending