The Student Room Group

Can I get a first degree?

Hi guys,
I study biomedical sciences!
so in my first year, I averaged 68.5%, it seems so close yet so far from a first! I am really aiming for a first in my degree. I didn't get the best A levels and I feel getting this first would be one way to redeem myself - to myself.

I've finished semester 1 exams, I'll be honest this semester was a struggle. I found the modules hard and content-heavy, it really didn't help that the start of the semester was smooth sailing and we had over 15 major deadlines in the last 5 weeks (including 2 weeks holiday period and weightings were around 20-40%).

Anyway, I've received one module mark back and I averaged 63.2% (I think gets rounded to 63%) Disappointed but not surprised really.

Anyway, my question is do you think it's still possible for me to get a first? I know the first year doesn't count, but how can I make sure I get a first this year? I am also dyslexic and have ADHD, I really find it hard to focus in lectures although I still go to them. Any tips would be really helpful! Also, any books/websites recommendations would be good!

Thank you!!!!
Yep, you can. I started my undergrad with a third class but finished with a second class upper
Original post by s.aureus
Hi guys,
I study biomedical sciences!
so in my first year, I averaged 68.5%, it seems so close yet so far from a first! I am really aiming for a first in my degree. I didn't get the best A levels and I feel getting this first would be one way to redeem myself - to myself.

I've finished semester 1 exams, I'll be honest this semester was a struggle. I found the modules hard and content-heavy, it really didn't help that the start of the semester was smooth sailing and we had over 15 major deadlines in the last 5 weeks (including 2 weeks holiday period and weightings were around 20-40%).

Anyway, I've received one module mark back and I averaged 63.2% (I think gets rounded to 63%) Disappointed but not surprised really.

Anyway, my question is do you think it's still possible for me to get a first? I know the first year doesn't count, but how can I make sure I get a first this year? I am also dyslexic and have ADHD, I really find it hard to focus in lectures although I still go to them. Any tips would be really helpful! Also, any books/websites recommendations would be good!

Thank you!!!!

Yes its still possible, you just need to find the right methods for exam & coursework prep that work for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending