The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Hey Guys,

I have just opened my e-mail to find this in my inbox:

Re:Casual Sales Assistant

Dear

Further to your recent application we would like to invite you to attend our forthcoming Recruitment Open day to be held at:

Sports Direct International

On Friday

Please pop in anytime between 9am and 5pm for a brief interview with the Store Manager.

Please bring a copy of your CV with you on the day.

We look forward to seeing you then

Regards
SportsDirect.com International

Anyone had a interview with them like this before? Any tips? Is this a proper interview as it says 'Just pop in'? Shall I call and arrange a time?

I would love this job, I'm not the most sporty person but I love rugby! But its a job!

It says Casual Sales Assistant, What is one?

Cheers,
Chris :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh I work there under the same job position.

For my interview I wore pretty casual clothes and the manager just asked me a few general questions (like what are my current plans, when can I work etc) and then told me there and then that I had got the job.

The reason for that job title is because it's a 0 hour contract which is both a good and a bad thing as it means you don't have to worry about booking time off to go on holiday etc but also they don't give that many hours. All my shifts are 4 hour ones and the most I've had in a week are 3 shifts.

Oh and the pay is Β£5.25 and you have to pay for the uniform which is Β£7 and where your own trainers (preferably ones they sell instore).

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Thats great thanks. Do you think Jeans and a T-shirt? Or something more formal?

Shifts like that will be okay for me. :smile: Pay don't sound bad, uniform sounds okay. But probably wont have size 'Fat'!

Cheers!
Reply 3
Sounds fine basically what I wore! As long as you're somewhat normal they'll hire you lol, I don't really think there are many requirements.

I'm just using it as a first job though the hours really aren't enough to keep me going through the Summer, so I'm looking for a second one.
Reply 4
Chris1800
Thats great thanks. Do you think Jeans and a T-shirt? Or something more formal?

Shifts like that will be okay for me. :smile: Pay don't sound bad, uniform sounds okay. But probably wont have size 'Fat'!

Cheers!

How did your interview go?!
Reply 5
Its tomorrow! Im now rather worried. I just have bad feelings, I feel confident around friends etc. But other people I fall to peices. I keep having thoughts about not going. But then I would just be a looser! So I'm going!! Keeping my head up... Its like my first ever interview. Also I get put down by me being a big chap and a interview at a sports shop, It don't fit, I have nightmares that they wont pick me cus they dont want larger guys!

Anyway ignore my depression drivvle! lol!
Chris1800
Its tomorrow! Im now rather worried. I just have bad feelings, I feel confident around friends etc. But other people I fall to peices. I keep having thoughts about not going. But then I would just be a looser! So I'm going!! Keeping my head up... Its like my first ever interview. Also I get put down by me being a big chap and a interview at a sports shop, It don't fit, I have nightmares that they wont pick me cus they dont want larger guys!

Anyway ignore my depression drivvle! lol!

Goodluck.
I had my first interview about 1 week ago.
I failed but it gives me experience for my next interview.
Reply 7
Thanks!

I probably will fail too. May aswell go, worth a try.
Reply 8
I up and going to the interview. Thanks for your help on here guys. :smile:
Reply 9
Good luck!

Btw, you don't have to be sporty to work there because some of the employees I have seen are, well not very athletic looking.
How'd it go ? :smile:
Reply 11
Ha yeah I work there and do not do any sport or exercise lol, in my store the staff are all sizes.

Really curious to know how you got on :smile:
when i applied, i got a letter saying the pay is Β£3.40, im 17, no mention of whether i have 2 pay for the uniform though
I get paid Β£4.17 and im 17, tbh im looking for a new job atm. Its an ok job but I prefer working with tech in places like pc world
Reply 14
A girl that works in my store is 17 and get's paid Β£4.50. I am leaving shortly to work at the Odeon cinema, better benefits and better pay!
this job and company is ridiculous

i worked here and they hired way too many people so most assistants werent even working once a week!

im 17 and was paid Β£4.20 whilst other people my age working there in the same store were paid Β£5.00 and when i brought up this issue with my manager i got accused of being unprofessional

furthermore i recieved no training and was just thrown in the deep end on a busy day when i had no retail experience! my manager then took it upon herself to constantly pick on me which then got me more stressed out - i just had to end up leaving, RIDICULOUS!
1_xxxSarahxxx_1
this job and company is ridiculous

i worked here and they hired way too many people so most assistants werent even working once a week!

im 17 and was paid Β£4.20 whilst other people my age working there in the same store were paid Β£5.00 and when i brought up this issue with my manager i got accused of being unprofessional

furthermore i recieved no training and was just thrown in the deep end on a busy day when i had no retail experience! my manager then took it upon herself to constantly pick on me which then got me more stressed out - i just had to end up leaving, RIDICULOUS!

yeah i agree with these points, in actually handing in my weeks notice tomorrow
Rizzletastic
yeah i agree with these points, in actually handing in my weeks notice tomorrow

thank you! lol
Reply 18
I handed mine in yesterday and know exactly what you mean! I was thrown in at the deep end too! My first time on the till was under the instruction of someone younger than me who just told me to "get on with it" and yet I'd get blamed for doing things wrong.
yea i agree, ive been employed by them since 29th july, i did have my induction though, but have not had a shift! ive rang up 2 ask for one, and they said they'll let me know when im in. Whats the point in having a job if you cant work there?!

Quick Reply

Latest