The Student Room Group

What can I do to improve my uni application?

I'm in year 12 and am hoping to study Economics in university.
In what other ways, besides studying hard and getting good grades of course, can I improve my application and skills to put on there?

I've been trying to get work experience in that field but the closest I have is a marketing internship opportunity with my college.
I've also created a reading list of books to read for economics but is there anything else I could do to make me sound good and dedicated?
Original post by TragicGrades101
I'm in year 12 and am hoping to study Economics in university.
In what other ways, besides studying hard and getting good grades of course, can I improve my application and skills to put on there?

I've been trying to get work experience in that field but the closest I have is a marketing internship opportunity with my college.
I've also created a reading list of books to read for economics but is there anything else I could do to make me sound good and dedicated?

Hello!

What you have done so far seems really good. I am sure there are plenty of transferable skills from the marketing internship to write about in your PS :smile: All universities really want to see is that you have dedication and interest in the course you are applying for. If you look at TSR's personal statement creator, it gives you an idea of what structure your Personal Statement will take, and therefore what you need to write about. Perhaps the most important factor is grades though, so don't let any of the extra-curricular stuff you do take too much away from study time :tongue:

Good luck!
The most important thing you do for an Economics degree is to ensure that you are taking Maths A level and some of the very top might prefer Further Maths as well. Without A level Maths you will struggle to get into top universities for Economics.
Original post by swanseajack1
The most important thing you do for an Economics degree is to ensure that you are taking Maths A level and some of the very top might prefer Further Maths as well. Without A level Maths you will struggle to get into top universities for Economics.

Yep I'm taking A level Maths already! I was just wondering if there was other things I could do to show my interest in Economics
Original post by emiloujess
Hello!

What you have done so far seems really good. I am sure there are plenty of transferable skills from the marketing internship to write about in your PS :smile: All universities really want to see is that you have dedication and interest in the course you are applying for. If you look at TSR's personal statement creator, it gives you an idea of what structure your Personal Statement will take, and therefore what you need to write about. Perhaps the most important factor is grades though, so don't let any of the extra-curricular stuff you do take too much away from study time :tongue:

Good luck!

Thank you!
Original post by TragicGrades101
Yep I'm taking A level Maths already! I was just wondering if there was other things I could do to show my interest in Economics

Follow your interests and curiosity. Look at the topics covered in each degree, have a look at the research going on at each university, look into online/public lectures, try out some moocs, read blogs and listen to podcasts that interest you.

Keep a short journal/log of what you read/do/listen to and what you enjoy, are surprised by, what you find difficult etc. When it comes to writing a PS having that sort of thing to hand will make it much easier and it’ll help you articulate your interests better in any interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending