The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, you won't fail for stalling aslong as you follow the correct procedure of starting back up again.
Reply 2
You're very optimistic aren't you... :rolleyes:
Well I failed for coming around a bit wide when reversing round the corner. I *think* you only fail on a stall if you obstruct another car (ie in the middle of the road) but if you stall when pulling away lets say i think its just a minor. Rolling back a bit when there is another car behind is a fail also
Reply 4
You can fail for speeding, lack of observations, hitting the kerb, obstructing other cars I imagine..
Not moving quickly enough too can fail you in fact.
Reply 5
Turning left is an automatic failure. NEVER turn left!
Reply 6
Steeps
Turning left is an automatic failure. NEVER turn left!

or turning right, NEVER turn right!
Reply 7
If the examiner has to use their pedals. If he/she does that you have definitely failed.
Reply 8
Shooting the examiner doesn't go down well...

But, if you shoot the hand they need to write with, they can't fail you :wink:

Seriously though, going too slowly will be points against, ie, travelling at 40 down a 60 road.

Majors - that fail you immediately - are anything that puts other road users in danger.
Smashing off wing mirrors, generally a fail ... not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything... *cough*
Reply 10
They may not fail you for touching the curb whilst parking or not checking a mirror for example, but they can... depends on the examiner and how close they are to their quota, unless it's a really dangerous error that is.
Reply 11
Making other motorists slow down or change directions will earn you a fail. Hitting the kerb isn't an automatic fail. Mounting the kerb will, though!
Reply 12
Hesitation, lack of observation, putting others in danger, speeding/lack of speed, failure to do the manoeuvres correctly..that sort of crap!
Reply 13
Following on from turning left = fail. If the examiner asks you to turn left, he either wants to fail you because he can't find another way to do it due to good driving and well performed right turns, or it's his way of saying you've already failed and just letting you know. Good luck :smile:
I did something in my lesson the other that my instructor said one of his students had failed for...I went over into the wrong lane (the one turning left), instead of going into the one for turning right and going straight on. The sad thing is, there weren't even any visible road-markings at the point that I chose to manoeuvre. :frown:
i went round a roundabout twice and still passed. i forgot which turnoff she said. it was a circle of awkwardness.

although i think we both enjoyed it tbh.
Reply 16
When I did my test I was told by my instructor that they cant fail if you go the wrong way, only if you do it continuously or if you go the wrong way up a one way street etc
We have a roundabout in Swindon called the magic roundabout (google it if you haven't heard of it) and its rated as one of the worst in Europe. He told me that if I was taken on it and was asked to go straight over and wasn't comfortable with it just to take first left and claim I had misheard the examiner :biggrin:
So you cant fail for going the wrong way but will if you do it a lot.
Reply 17
i'm too young to drive at the moment (4 months to go :woo:) so im probably stating something stupid but ....

whats so wrong about turning left? :confused:
Reply 18
imtired
They may not fail you for touching the curb whilst parking or not checking a mirror for example, but they can... depends on the examiner and how close they are to their quota, unless it's a really dangerous error that is.

If you're going to talk rubbish, please don't do it on here.

Driving examiners do NOT have quotas.

All of the above being a pass or a fail would depend purely on the circumstances only.
Reply 19
Tofufi
If you're going to talk rubbish, please don't do it on here.

Driving examiners do NOT have quotas.

All of the above being a pass or a fail would depend purely on the circumstances only.

There is an unofficial quota. I have spoken to an ex-examiner, at their test center if their pass rate was 10% above or below the average they got somebody to go with them on tests to check they were doing the job right, to avoid this they tried to keep it around the average so there is practically a quota. Also i know two people who hit the curb on their test, one pass and one failed. There is no strict definition of a major, any minor can be made into a potential serious or dangerous error, which is why unless you're pretty much perfect they decide whether to fail you.

Latest