The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nice Username
It was a wide open road that people frequently travel on at 40+. She was just a dickhead that felt I needed a major whilst heading back to the test centre with 0 minors. I did nothing wrong to affect or obstruct another driver as the road was empty!

It makes no difference if other people frequently do 40+ since you said yourself it was a 30 zone. There was obviously something that gave her cause for concern.
Anyway, I assume that was a while ago and you're all passed now.
Reply 61
Original post by ibz91
i failed my first test recently but passed 2nd time round!! first time i failed because! i had to pull out onto the right, and apprently if you slow other cars down when you pull out you fail! so! i was waiting to find a gap to pull out, and i failed because of hesitation!!!!!!!!!!
ALSO!! BEWARE! on your test they may say....pull in a safe and convienient place 'dont mind the driveways' then its fine, but then if they say again, pull in a safe and convienet place, but dont mention driveways, then u cant! lol i got a minor for that! :frown:

This is so unfair, I failed my first test in the same situation as you but because I pulled out of the junction when there was a car coming (although it was less than halfway down the road!!) but then if I would of hung around much longer they would have failed me for hesitancy -_- x
Definitely not a good idea to try and pull away in neutral when you're on a slight hill and there's a car waiting behind you.. *cough*..
Reply 63
I took my test today and failed for staling
Forgetting to turn on the engine
Turning right in a T junction ,lol i kept waiting for 5 minutes as it was a rush hour and at the last minute i decided to slightly go forward , saw an empty street but by the time i got ready a 30+ car was driving towards me on my right ,i stopped but small bit of the car was out anyway so that person had to drive around my car .=====FAIL ,don't do it ,keep waiting even if it takes you half an hour :smile:
Reply 66
Most of the things that an examiner check in the test are basic standards and common sense. However, there are few other common occurring scenarios and each examiner has a different view on this and is mostly frustrating.

My friend got a minor on making a right from 40 to 30 mph road where a separate lane is created for turning right by breaking the central reserve area. Unfortunately, the lane is not visible until you reach quiet close and the right turn has no sign or signal. She got minor because she slowed down on 40 road without entering the new right lane of few yards length only just for the right turn even though she did looked there was no one behind. Could have got a major is someone is behind and had to change direction or speed.

Funny enough, when I gave the test from the same test centre but with the lady examiner, I got a major at the same spot to not to reduce the speed on 40 mph lane. She though I wouldn't be able to apply brakes in time for the car further ahead, but I have driven the car in India for 10 years and have very easily managed the situation without causing hazard to the card in front of the new short right lane for right turn and the car coming in lane I moved from. I started applying the brakes to stop well before the car in front in the new lane but for some reason, the examiner panicked and applied emergency brakes. She did acknowledged that I was applying the brakes, but when we reached back the test centre, she failed me :-(

I wouldn't have bothered if I would have failed because of my serious mistake but this failure is attributed to the double standards of the examiners and no objectivity in this part of the test...

I got only 6 minors otherwise, which I am sure even the examiners will get if they will be in our position - its not too difficult to find faults in others.

My experience from my test is that apart from the actual driving, one can fail because of sheer luck or shall I say bad luck :-(

So without any disappointment, try till you succeed - I know this will cost you but you have no other choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dstbgre
When I did my test I was told by my instructor that they cant fail if you go the wrong way, only if you do it continuously or if you go the wrong way up a one way street etc
We have a roundabout in Swindon called the magic roundabout (google it if you haven't heard of it) and its rated as one of the worst in Europe. He told me that if I was taken on it and was asked to go straight over and wasn't comfortable with it just to take first left and claim I had misheard the examiner :biggrin:
So you cant fail for going the wrong way but will if you do it a lot.

We have one of those in Hemel, a big roundabout surrounded by 5 smaller roundabouts
Reply 68
I failed the first time for mishearing the instructor i thought she said to turn right but instead she said to turn left and then i failed... Its considered, failure to listen to instructions which is an automatic fail. Like it was simply just miscommunication and it had nothing to do with my driving skills...i looked over on her sheet and saw that i had nothing marked off other than the "failure to listen to instruction"...RIP. Gonna go retake it again this upcoming week and i'm gonna make sure to repeat the direction they say just to make sure i don't make the same mistake again. Wish me Luck!
Original post by Baidude
I failed the first time for mishearing the instructor i thought she said to turn right but instead she said to turn left and then i failed... Its considered, failure to listen to instructions which is an automatic fail. Like it was simply just miscommunication and it had nothing to do with my driving skills...i looked over on her sheet and saw that i had nothing marked off other than the "failure to listen to instruction"...RIP. Gonna go retake it again this upcoming week and i'm gonna make sure to repeat the direction they say just to make sure i don't make the same mistake again. Wish me Luck!

AFAIK there is no such box on the form. You also cannot be failed for going the wrong way unless your signal differs from the direction you take. So I am intrigued. Could you clarify exactly what the fail was for?
Reply 70
Original post by Emma-Ashley
AFAIK there is no such box on the form. You also cannot be failed for going the wrong way unless your signal differs from the direction you take. So I am intrigued. Could you clarify exactly what the fail was for?

I'm in the USA, Ga just realized that this was a UK site lol, that might be why but on the sheet there was a section that showed automatic fails and failure to listen to instructions was one of them, there was also dangerous driving behavior, breaking any laws and if you get into an accident.
Original post by Baidude
I'm in the USA, Ga just realized that this was a UK site lol, that might be why but on the sheet there was a section that showed automatic fails and failure to listen to instructions was one of them, there was also dangerous driving behavior, breaking any laws and if you get into an accident.

That explains it! :smile:
Thinking of all the things that might make you fail!! :biggrin:

What ever you do don't think about that pink elephant! Doh - you just did didn't you.

Think about what you need to do to pass - not what you don't want to happen.

Drive at an appropriate speed and correctly positioned. Be aware of other road users and their intentions at all times, make them aware of your intentions by signalling correctly and in good time. Avoid causing unnecessary inconvenience to other road users.

The ways to fail a driving test are just too numerous to list - although I doubt you will ever come up with a new one.
Original post by vendettagirl
Smashing off wing mirrors, generally a fail ... not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything... *cough*

Yeah I feel you with that one.... Examiner had to stop the car with her pedals otherwise that would've been the case
Reply 74
I failed the first time for mishearing the instructor i thought she said to turn right but instead she said to turn left and then i failed... Its considered, failure to listen to instructions which is an automatic fail. Like it was simply just miscommunication and it had nothing to do with my driving skills... Gonna go retake it again this upcoming week and i'm gonna make sure to repeat the direction they say just to make sure i don't make the same mistake again. Wish me Luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending