The Student Room Group

Do I withdraw my application from my other uni choices

So I have a dilemma. I applied for physiotherapy degree at Uni of Nottingham, Leeds Beckett, Coventry uni, Manchester met and Sheffield Hallam. I’ve only been to my Manchester interview so far and got an offer of ABB. But I got an offer from Nottingham for their new foundation course (instead of the physio degree) with possible progression onto the physiotherapy degree( have to pass foundation year and do an interview). The conditional offer is CCC. I personally think Nottingham is the best uni for me out of my choices and I really didn’t think I would get any type of offer in the first place as I didn’t have the entry requirements needed.
My dilemma is that I’m debating whether or not to withdraw my application from the rest of the unis, as I can only apply for Nottingham’s accommodation if I make it my firm choice, which I can’t do yet and my last interview is end of April. I don’t want to wait that long as I think a lot of the good accommodation will go, and I know for sure I want to go to Nottingham even if I have a to do a foundation course first as it’s best for my circumstances (I’m from Nottingham)
I’m not sure wether to do it or not basically, but I just want to be able to sort out my housing out. It’s also the lowest entry requirements out of my options so theres not another back up anyway so I wouldn’t be losing out.
Sorry about the long para :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Dlawal
So I have a dilemma. I applied for physiotherapy degree at Uni of Nottingham, Leeds Beckett, Coventry uni, Manchester met and Sheffield Hallam. I’ve only been to my Manchester interview so far and got an offer of ABB. But I got an offer from Nottingham for their new foundation course (instead of the physio degree) with possible progression onto the physiotherapy degree( have to pass foundation year and do an interview). The conditional offer is CCC. I personally think Nottingham is the best uni for me out of my choices and I really didn’t think I would get any type of offer in the first place as I didn’t have the entry requirements needed.
My dilemma is that I’m debating whether or not to withdraw my application from the rest of the unis, as I can only apply for Nottingham’s accommodation if I make it my firm choice, which I can’t do yet and my last interview is end of April. I don’t want to wait that long as I think a lot of the good accommodation will go, and I know for sure I want to go to Nottingham even if I have a to do a foundation course first as it’s best for my circumstances (I’m from Nottingham)
I’m not sure wether to do it or not basically, but I just want to be able to sort out my housing out. It’s also the lowest entry requirements out of my options so theres not another back up anyway so I wouldn’t be losing out.
Sorry about the long para :smile:

The foundation course is called health sciences foundation and certificate if you wanted to have a look at it
That's an interesting option that I wasn't aware of until now. Seems like they have formalised the access to health course that many on here have done, and rolled it into a university programme. Makes sense I guess, but I would be a bit wary that there is no guarantee you will progress to the physio degree on completion. It may seem like a good idea now, but what if in a years time you don't get a place on the course and then have to leave? I would very much advise against making a rushed decision because you want to get into a certain hall of residence. I would certainly not throw away your Manchester offer for this, as thinking long term, assuming you get the grades this will speed up your journey to qualification by a year.

If you are hell bent on going to Nottingham, then there isn't a lot anyone on here is going to tell you. I personally loved moving away from home for uni, and had an amazing time finding out about cities far away from where I grew up. If you have specific reasons not to do this that are personal to you then I guess the choice is made anyway, but I would urge you to think about what you are doing giving up a physio degree place for an extra year of debt with no guarantee of a place at the end of it all.
Reply 3
Original post by Ironmike
That's an interesting option that I wasn't aware of until now. Seems like they have formalised the access to health course that many on here have done, and rolled it into a university programme. Makes sense I guess, but I would be a bit wary that there is no guarantee you will progress to the physio degree on completion. It may seem like a good idea now, but what if in a years time you don't get a place on the course and then have to leave? I would very much advise against making a rushed decision because you want to get into a certain hall of residence. I would certainly not throw away your Manchester offer for this, as thinking long term, assuming you get the grades this will speed up your journey to qualification by a year.

If you are hell bent on going to Nottingham, then there isn't a lot anyone on here is going to tell you. I personally loved moving away from home for uni, and had an amazing time finding out about cities far away from where I grew up. If you have specific reasons not to do this that are personal to you then I guess the choice is made anyway, but I would urge you to think about what you are doing giving up a physio degree place for an extra year of debt with no guarantee of a place at the end of it all.

I get what you mean. I think I’ll call Nottingham about the course, just to ask about how the progression is done and if they prioritise students who’ve done the foundation over the students that haven’t.
I won’t throw away my Manchester offer though, I’d still keep that as an insurance choice. Although I’m 99% sure of what I want to do about my situation, I definitely won’t be rushing to make a decision
The course at Nottingham seems to just be an access to health course as per above, and this is something you can do at lots of places. There may be another provider close to your home that does this? From reading the course info, it doesn't mention that you are at any sort of an advantage for a place over those external to the year long course, and you will still have to go through the interview process. Definitely take some time to think, and don't rush into something just because of a small room on a university campus!
Original post by Dlawal
The foundation course is called health sciences foundation and certificate if you wanted to have a look at it

Hi @Dlawal,

I responded to your post in this thread :h:

However @Ironmike has some great points to help you weigh up your decision. You're right you're best calling the university to see if foundation year students are prioritised for the undergraduate course so you can confirm if this is the best decision for you. If this foundation course focuses a lot on physiotheraphy (something you should also find out) then it could bring you up to speed and set you apart from those applying from a-level. Also you may then be familiar with some of the staff who could help you prepare for the interview process for the undergraduate course.

Good luck with your other interviews should you choose not to accept the foundation offer!
- Ella
Reply 6
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @Dlawal,

I responded to your post in this thread :h:

However @Ironmike has some great points to help you weigh up your decision. You're right you're best calling the university to see if foundation year students are prioritised for the undergraduate course so you can confirm if this is the best decision for you. If this foundation course focuses a lot on physiotheraphy (something you should also find out) then it could bring you up to speed and set you apart from those applying from a-level. Also you may then be familiar with some of the staff who could help you prepare for the interview process for the undergraduate course.

Good luck with your other interviews should you choose not to accept the foundation offer!
- Ella

Thank you both for your help! I gave them a call, and although he didn’t explicitly say the foundation year students get priority, he did say that they definitely take into account the fact that I would have been at the university already for a year so I’m familiar with it. I would know a number or lecturers already and have a good foundation of understanding for the course. I believe I would be able to succeed in the interview when the time comes, so I think I’ll go ahead and firm Nottingham and have Manchester as my insurance, and withdraw from the rest
Hello how was the foundation course that you did.Is it similar to any other course because I applied for physio and got into Oxford Brooke’s and york .But got offered a foundation course in UWE and I am mote interested in living in UWE but I don’t know if the health and science course is good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending