The Student Room Group

Best university of law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Stanza03
Well I talked to my schools careers advisor and he said they mainly care about work experience and how much they have on it. Also he did say that I had to acknowledge the fact that some firms do mind where you go and it's a very elitist field that common people like us who don't go private school can find it very hard to get into. My law teacher who was a barrister said that they do kinda care where you go. He also said that it also depends on which field you trying to get into in law. Cooperate law has the most money and Criminal law has the least amount of money.

If you wanna go into a business that needs solicitors you work alright hours, probs a basic of 9-4 but if you work as a solicitor in a legal firm hours depend. If you wanna be a Barrister you are going to be working crazy hours honestly and it is a very unstable job as work coming in isn't stable.

that's what I've gotten from my own independent research. I highly suggest you use Unibuddy, it can help you get into contact with law students either are currently in uni or have recently graduated.

Yes I want to do solicitor, thanks! I don’t know what I am going to I suppose go to Westminster or uni of law .. what about you? But still there are so many students who study in even lower uni and still get a good job
Reply 21
Original post by emona.s
Yes I want to do solicitor, thanks! I don’t know what I am going to I suppose go to Westminster or uni of law .. what about you? But still there are so many students who study in even lower uni and still get a good job

Personally I say go which ever uni you feel your going to flourish at whether that would be at Westminster or Uni of Law. Just make sure you try and pick up a lot of vacation schemes along the way and go to a lot of law networking events.

I'm currently in year 12 so I still have a few months to fully decide so will shall see.

Best tip someone has ever gave me was don't focus on what others are doing focus on yourself and try the hardest. when you focus on other success you get blindsided at your own.

I wish you all at which ever university
Original post by emona.s
Hi, I am in the same position as you. I also applied to University of Law, Westminster but I feel quote sad because of what people are saying for law, is really competitive so are we going to find work,etc? I red a lot of comments about how people paid the university and then in years cant find job and are working crazy hours for ****ty money. Thats not what I want to do.

As someone who is most likely going to study Law at Portsmouth , My plan is to try to get atleast a 2:1 then get a 1 year masters at a better university to improve my chances. For the record i dont think someone who is going to these universities is likely to get a first in Law as it's incredibly hard to get a 1st regardless of the university.
Reply 23
Original post by sirhazthe1s
As someone who is most likely going to study Law at Portsmouth , My plan is to try to get atleast a 2:1 then get a 1 year masters at a better university to improve my chances. For the record i dont think someone who is going to these universities is likely to get a first in Law as it's incredibly hard to get a 1st regardless of the university.

Not hating but it's Honestly people like you that make other feel bad for themselves and not have confidence. You never know if you really want to and put your 100% into it you can get a first. just because someone goes here doesn't mean they aren't going to get a 1st from there. But you do you I guess
Original post by nathan_nacu
I’ll be honest he didn’t lie. He’s not making u stress, law is a traditional career and somewhat elitist and nepotistic. I once had a conversation with a partner at a ‘good’ firm and some Uni students who said that there were still ‘Tiers’ in which the RG Unis r seen. Even within the Russel group ppl r still ranking, that’s to show the kind of environment it is. If you’re studying law because you like it that’s fine but if u want a career as a solicitor in a top firm it’s not untrue u would have a harder time getting there than say an LSE applicant (not counting work experience amongst others). If u wanted to be a barrister that’s a whole different cup of tea we’ll brew later.
The mentality of not wanting to go to a top Uni because its too stressful also seems a bit *lazy* and quite the opposite of what I’d expect from studying law as its a hard subject anywhere, not to mention the vicious application cycles but idk ur situation mentally or physically so i can only urge u to try ur hardest. In some degrees ur uni doesn’t matter, law isn’t one of them as the Uni can be used by individuals as an indicator.
That’s just my take anyway

Im doing a Join honours with Business because I want to slightly make me more employable than if i was just to do Law as the competition for a training contract is legit 1:50 which is insanity
Original post by sirhazthe1s
Im doing a Join honours with Business because I want to slightly make me more employable than if i was just to do Law as the competition for a training contract is legit 1:50 which is insanity

Doing a joint honours doesn’t make u more employable for training contracts. What’s more important is ur application and showing the skills this joint honour should’ve given you as well as commercial awareness etc. Most firms just want ur 2:1 in any degree tbh and doesn’t give u any advantage. Even chemical engineering degrees get training contracts. It can give u more opportunities outside of law though (maybe).
(edited 4 years ago)
Not hating but it's Honestly people like you that make other feel bad for themselves and not have confidence. You never know if you really want to and put your 100% into it you can get a first. just because someone goes here doesn't mean they aren't going to get a 1st from there. But you do you I guess

And its people like you who lie to people making them think that it's an easy road ahead when the law firm is easily the most competitive.people need to understand the competition before investing 60K into it
The best advice i would give is try to get a 2:1 or First from atleast a Top50-10 University then do a 1 Year masters at a Tier1 University

This will look really good on you because of the experiance and the committment,This is just for personal advice for the less gifted student(not in a offensive but REAL way)

Your Welcome lol
Reply 28
Personally I say go which ever uni you feel your going to flourish at whether that would be at Westminster or Uni of Law. Just make sure you try and pick up a lot of vacation schemes along the way and go to a lot of law networking events.

I'm currently in year 12 so I still have a few months to fully decide so will shall see.

Best tip someone has ever gave me was don't focus on what others are doing focus on yourself and try the hardest. when you focus on other success you get blindsided at your own.

I wish you all at which ever university

Thanks!!🙏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending