The Student Room Group

What societies should I join?

I understand that there are lots of different societies however am unsure of what actual type of clubs there are. I'm quite interested in working with children and looking at child psychology at the minute. I also would like to know if they have any badminton clubs as I really enjoy playing this sport (the only sport I actually like to play).
if you can't find a club/society at uni you like and are interested in, you could always create it
huge likely there will be a badminton club at your uni
Original post by stereotypeasian
if you can't find a club/society at uni you like and are interested in, you could always create it
huge likely there will be a badminton club at your uni

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. I certainly will do this and I hope there is a badminton society too!
Original post by Tamzinp
I understand that there are lots of different societies however am unsure of what actual type of clubs there are. I'm quite interested in working with children and looking at child psychology at the minute. I also would like to know if they have any badminton clubs as I really enjoy playing this sport (the only sport I actually like to play).

You can find societies for almost anything, just do the ones that interest you.

They'll definitely be badminton teams, I imagine a casual setup for games between fellow students and a competitive setup which competes in BUCS.
Original post by mnot
You can find societies for almost anything, just do the ones that interest you.

They'll definitely be badminton teams, I imagine a casual setup for games between fellow students and a competitive setup which competes in BUCS.

This seems so exciting and I am looking forward to going to university! By the way, what does BUCS stand for?
Original post by Tamzinp
This seems so exciting and I am looking forward to going to university! By the way, what does BUCS stand for?

British University & Colleges Sport

Its basically the governing body for uni sport, they set the guidelines, rules etc. keep track of leagues & tournaments and declare national champions for every sport. Some unis take BUCS extremely seriously others less so.
Original post by mnot
British University & Colleges Sport

Its basically the governing body for uni sport, they set the guidelines, rules etc. keep track of leagues & tournaments and declare national champions for every sport. Some unis take BUCS extremely seriously others less so.

A little bit of competition basically?
Original post by Tamzinp
A little bit of competition basically?

To some people its a little bit of competition to others its near professional level sport where you compete for national titles. Really depends on the specific club at each uni and your level of competitivness.

I find people who tend to be less focused on performance take part in an intramural league within the university, then those who take sport seriously compete in BUCS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending