The Student Room Group

Coronavirus: what will stuying from fall 2020 to 2021 be like?

Hi! I'm currently applying for several taught postgraduate programs in the UK. I read all the current information I could find for prospective students, but I am unsure how studying from september 2020 to september of 2021 will look like. How much of the courses will be based on online teaching and how will this affect the quality of the courses?
As travelling will be difficult and the fees will probably remain the same, I am concerned about the value gained from doing a Masters starting this year. But next year, Brexit might make things much more difficult for EU citizens, hoping to study in the UK.

And as a less serious question: could it be that the virus will lead to fewer applicants this year and thus less competition? (I'm aware that many have already applied by now)

I am aware that nobody knows anything for certain at this time, but any input would help tremendously. Thank you!
You have already hit the nail on the head that no one really knows what things will look like come autumn. Best case scenario is that the peak of the virus has been and gone by then and things start getting back to some semblance of normality. Worst case scenario that we are still in the grip of it and all teaching would have to be remote.

Not really sure what you judge the value of the Masters by. If it is the social experience of studying / living in a specific area this would inevitably be impacted in the worst case scenario painted above. If however, you are judging its value with regards to employment prospects / pathway to future study then I would have thought it will be as valued as any other masters.

I know this does not really give any clear direction but I think you suspected as much
Original post by dking2001
You have already hit the nail on the head that no one really knows what things will look like come autumn. Best case scenario is that the peak of the virus has been and gone by then and things start getting back to some semblance of normality. Worst case scenario that we are still in the grip of it and all teaching would have to be remote.

Not really sure what you judge the value of the Masters by. If it is the social experience of studying / living in a specific area this would inevitably be impacted in the worst case scenario painted above. If however, you are judging its value with regards to employment prospects / pathway to future study then I would have thought it will be as valued as any other masters.

I know this does not really give any clear direction but I think you suspected as much

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I didn't expect any clear direction. Still a second opinion definitely helps in making a decision. With the IELTS being cancelled too, there's simply a lot of uncertainty and at the moment any input helps to find a solution, without wasting too much time. If the application was successful, I also still don't know how moving to the UK would work this summer. If anybody shares the same concerns, please feel free to give me your perspective, even if you don't have a solution!
Reply 3
For all the uni students worried about their exams, assignments and facilities being closed and wondering how this will affect them in comparison to other unis, I just came across this website that has collated all that information together. The best part is that you can even add your own symptoms and track the changes that are happening at unis across the country - definitely putting my mind at ease that is hasn’t spread through unis yet!

This is the site: https://coronavirus.degree/
Reply 4
There’s lots of uncertainty for courses starting this autumn. I’m applying for a masters but because of the likelihood that it’ll be online teaching I am going to defer for 2021 instead and take a gap year. I’d need to move cities anyway, be settled and find a part time job for alongside my studies which isn’t looking possible for August time minimum! I’m sure it’ll all work out for the best with everyone regardless!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending