The Student Room Group

Ex gf - I don't know what to do?

Can anyone shed some light on what I should do in my situation.

I'm very much still in love with my ex girlfriend. We broke up a little over a year ago now. But we are still in contact on and off. We broke up because our relationship got strained, I think she lost interest and she was very upset at the end and I think she blames me a lot for what happened. I made mistakes but she took a lot of our problems very much to heart and personal. I think she lost interest In Me and a stone much as I tried to fix things it got no where and eventually she suggested we stop and I agreed.

Since the breakup obviously I have had a really rough time trying to accept it. At the beginning and about six months ago I tried to meet up but she told me she wasn't sure and would tell me when she knows. I apologised for everything that happened and I tried my best to get on with my life after she ignored me again which she always does on and off. She can ignore my replies for days, weeks or even a month while happily posting on social media until she will pop up again.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, she popped back up again after ignoring me after chatting for a while when i bumped into her. She was going to walk past and say nothing but I made a point of saying hi. She then text me afterwards apologing for not stopping to say hi.

Since months ago I haven't asked to meet up again.
This week she asked me out of the blue if I was seeing anyone. I told her no. So I asked if she was and she told me, 'not really' I asked what that means and she told me she is going out with someone for a drink.
This obviously upset me quite abit , however I messaged her back telling her I was happy for her and that I want her to be happy (I have always said that) she asked me if I was okay and I told I was fine and said I'm just soorry we couldn't work out. She agreed and said sorry. I was a bit emotional and told her I messsed up and made mistakes, that I'm sorry and I wish her well. She replied with 'thanks' so I said it's okay and said I hoped she was feeling better as she's been poorly. She read that meassge and hasn't replied. That was four days and nothing.

I'm pretty hurt tbh. I don't know what to do. I want her back but it's clear she doesn't want me.
It’s hard. But if she’s your ex she’s your ex and always will be your ex
(edited 4 years ago)
Just cut all contact with her and move on with your life.
Don't allow yourself to be held back by the ghost of a relationship that failed and an ex gf that occasionally gets in contact whenever it most suits her to.
Good luck!
Learn from your mistakes, cut contact with her, move on, and meet new and exciting people.
Reply 4
It's is so hard. I just want to give us another go.
I don't know why she play games and ignore, message, ignore.
I even post something on fb and within minutes she's trying to compete and post the similar herself.
For example I post about my course I just passed. Within five minutes she posts herself about a project she started which is going to be 'massive' I then post about something else and again she posts to try and get one up on me. I don't get it.
I love her lots but she don't love me
It must be very hard, but in your own mind you know the right play is to severe all tyes and move on with your life.
You will see that once the dust has settled.
You're torturing yourself too much. Waiting around on her, hoping she is going to message you, etc.

Bro, its been a year. A year in life is a long, long time.

You need to start treating yourself better now. Focus on yourself, your own goals and objectives for the next 6-12 months. Be the best version of yourself.

Delete her from all SM. Block her on whatsapp etc. Stop being so damn available to her all the time.

Once you do that, and once you know she can't actually contact you, you'll feel a weight has been lifted, and will feel you've taken some control back in your life.

Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
It's is so hard. I just want to give us another go.
I don't know why she play games and ignore, message, ignore.
I even post something on fb and within minutes she's trying to compete and post the similar herself.
For example I post about my course I just passed. Within five minutes she posts herself about a project she started which is going to be 'massive' I then post about something else and again she posts to try and get one up on me. I don't get it.
I love her lots but she don't love me

Life is not like a Hollywood film. Where the main character makes mistakes, apologises, get's forgiven and they move on happier than they were before.

In real life, you do something that's beyond the pale, they fall out of love with you, you apologise, they still remain out of love with you. If anything, your apology just reinforces in their mind that what you did was so wrong that they were right to move on in their life.

In the world of the 5 year old child, they can make a mistake, say they are sorry and be forgiven. That's fine for a 5 year old. They're going to make the sort of mistakes that 5 year olds make.

In the adult world, you make a mistake. And depending on the mistake and the context, you might be forgiven when you say sorry or you might not.

In the opening post you said "Since the breakup obviously I have had a really rough time trying to accept it."
No, it's not obvious at all! It's down to you and your perception and your perspective that you've had a really tough time trying to accept it. Someone with a more positive, live in the present and not the past, attitude would have accepted it well enough within one or two weeks. And would have moved on to "hunting for the next girlfriend" mode within a week or two.

And that's what you should be focusing on. Getting your next girlfriend. You can do this with some optimism. You got one before, you can get one again. And this time you're older and wiser and will be better at retaining her.
And if things don't work out with Girlfriend Number 2, you simply rinse and repeat and go on to Girlfiend Number 3. Like any normal, well adjusted man.

And of course you loved Girlfriend Number 1, and she will always have a place in your heart. But there's plenty of room for you to love someone else just as much, if not more.
Reply 8
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
You're torturing yourself too much. Waiting around on her, hoping she is going to message you, etc.

Bro, its been a year. A year in life is a long, long time.

You need to start treating yourself better now. Focus on yourself, your own goals and objectives for the next 6-12 months. Be the best version of yourself.

Delete her from all SM. Block her on whatsapp etc. Stop being so damn available to her all the time.

Once you do that, and once you know she can't actually contact you, you'll feel a weight has been lifted, and will feel you've taken some control back in your life.

Good luck.

Thanks man that she a good help. I know it's been so long and I've been thinking if her everyday since we broke. She got me good, I fell for her bad man.

I've now learnt from a friend that this date with a guy......doesn't exist.....wtf
Reply 9
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Life is not like a Hollywood film. Where the main character makes mistakes, apologises, get's forgiven and they move on happier than they were before.

In real life, you do something that's beyond the pale, they fall out of love with you, you apologise, they still remain out of love with you. If anything, your apology just reinforces in their mind that what you did was so wrong that they were right to move on in their life.

In the world of the 5 year old child, they can make a mistake, say they are sorry and be forgiven. That's fine for a 5 year old. They're going to make the sort of mistakes that 5 year olds make.

In the adult world, you make a mistake. And depending on the mistake and the context, you might be forgiven when you say sorry or you might not.

In the opening post you said "Since the breakup obviously I have had a really rough time trying to accept it."
No, it's not obvious at all! It's down to you and your perception and your perspective that you've had a really tough time trying to accept it. Someone with a more positive, live in the present and not the past, attitude would have accepted it well enough within one or two weeks. And would have moved on to "hunting for the next girlfriend" mode within a week or two.

And that's what you should be focusing on. Getting your next girlfriend. You can do this with some optimism. You got one before, you can get one again. And this time you're older and wiser and will be better at retaining her.
And if things don't work out with Girlfriend Number 2, you simply rinse and repeat and go on to Girlfiend Number 3. Like any normal, well adjusted man.

And of course you loved Girlfriend Number 1, and she will always have a place in your heart. But there's plenty of room for you to love someone else just as much, if not more.

Thanks man. I need to love myself a bit more again. When I met her I was a confident guy with a take it or leave it attitude and she liked that I think. Need to get back to that again. I've had three girls ask me on a date since the break up and I said no to all becuase I didn't my feel ready. Silly really I've put my happiness on hold for someone who doesn't care.

ive found out that her date with a guy didn't me exist... so she's made me feel like sh&t becuas of a lie.
Reply 10
Has it ever occurred to you that all the ignoring/messaging, and the social media posting, and now the imaginary date, are all because she DOES care? She’s spending an awful lot of time paying attention (and reacting) to what you’re doing, for a girl who isn’t interested? Don’t be fooled, man, she wants you back.
Original post by 1675Tom
Has it ever occurred to you that all the ignoring/messaging, and the social media posting, and now the imaginary date, are all because she DOES care? She’s spending an awful lot of time paying attention (and reacting) to what you’re doing, for a girl who isn’t interested? Don’t be fooled, man, she wants you back.

I never thought of it like that. All the ignoring and popping up occasionally made me feel she just wasn't that bothered.

She last messaged me about just under two months ago after she ignored my last message and read it a week later but didn't respond. I haven't heard from her since.

last week she randomly liked an Instagram post i posted two days previous.it took me by suprise as she'd been completly quiet for weeks then all of a sudden liked a pic.

in the mean time I've met and talking to another girl who I really like. After my ex telling me she had a date with a guy I thought I told was time I should try and move on.I've grown to really like this new girl. She seems to think the world of me and genuinely thinks I'm the best thing ever.

yet when I see a pic of my ex I get an overwhelming feeling of missing her. I can't help it. Is this normal to feel like this after over a year of breaking up? She still means a lot to me, I told her that when she told me she had met another guy. She then told me our relationship wasn't great at the end and wasn't good. Which kind of hurt me but I guess she's right.
Just to bump this up and maybe someone can give there ideas.
I haven't heard from her since the last time I messaged (march)
She liked one pic on my insta at the beginning of this month, two days after I posted it. I have posted since and she hasn't liked it.

This is where it gets weird. When we were togeth she liked my brothers business page.
And today she suddenly likes a post my brother posted. It was similar to the one I posted in my insta that she liked.
I find this a bit strange. Why would she like something from my family? Especially after she told me she'd met someone and was going on a date.
Original post by Anonymous
Can anyone shed some light on what I should do in my situation.

I'm very much still in love with my ex girlfriend. We broke up a little over a year ago now. But we are still in contact on and off. We broke up because our relationship got strained, I think she lost interest and she was very upset at the end and I think she blames me a lot for what happened. I made mistakes but she took a lot of our problems very much to heart and personal. I think she lost interest In Me and a stone much as I tried to fix things it got no where and eventually she suggested we stop and I agreed.

Since the breakup obviously I have had a really rough time trying to accept it. At the beginning and about six months ago I tried to meet up but she told me she wasn't sure and would tell me when she knows. I apologised for everything that happened and I tried my best to get on with my life after she ignored me again which she always does on and off. She can ignore my replies for days, weeks or even a month while happily posting on social media until she will pop up again.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, she popped back up again after ignoring me after chatting for a while when i bumped into her. She was going to walk past and say nothing but I made a point of saying hi. She then text me afterwards apologing for not stopping to say hi.

Since months ago I haven't asked to meet up again.
This week she asked me out of the blue if I was seeing anyone. I told her no. So I asked if she was and she told me, 'not really' I asked what that means and she told me she is going out with someone for a drink.
This obviously upset me quite abit , however I messaged her back telling her I was happy for her and that I want her to be happy (I have always said that) she asked me if I was okay and I told I was fine and said I'm just soorry we couldn't work out. She agreed and said sorry. I was a bit emotional and told her I messsed up and made mistakes, that I'm sorry and I wish her well. She replied with 'thanks' so I said it's okay and said I hoped she was feeling better as she's been poorly. She read that meassge and hasn't replied. That was four days and nothing.

I'm pretty hurt tbh. I don't know what to do. I want her back but it's clear she doesn't want me.

I think you should move on. Just try to forget her and move ahead in your future. This will help you both to stay happy in life. You both made the mistakes so just move on now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending