The Student Room Group

how to get free braces when ur under 18??????

im under 18 and whenever i go to ask for braces im told that the NHS cannot provide it to me for free since its not causing me any healthy issues. meanwhile my friends who have perfectly straight teeth managed to get free braces from simply asking for them just like me.
im self conscious abt my teeth and i hate how i look when i laugh.
is there any way i can get free braces???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
im under 18 and whenever i go to ask for braces im told that the NHS cannot provide it to me for free since its not causing me any healthy issues. meanwhile my friends who have perfectly straight teeth managed to get free braces from simply asking for them just like me.

^health not healthy
Reply 2
Go to a different person and get reassessed. My sister did and got it a few month later.
No.
They are provided when there is a need not just for cosmetic reasons
Reply 4
Original post by Luna_1
Go to a different person and get reassessed. My sister did and got it a few month later.

did she have any actual problems with her teeth or were they fine like mine?
Is the straightness of your teeth genuinely your biggest concern when the NHS is dealing with a pandemic? Even if you did need them, you would not be getting them for a long time right now.
Reply 6

No not really, she had a lot of gaps and some teeth weren't as straight as they could be. Was this your dentist or orthodontist?

You've just said your teeth are fine?

Your teeth are graded anyway based on the severity of the problem (whether things are alligned etc.) on a scale. If you have a high enough score you can get it. Otherwise it is considered to be for cosmetic purposes

So you don’t actually have any real problem with your teeth?
Original post by black tea
Is the straightness of your teeth genuinely your biggest concern when the NHS is dealing with a pandemic? Even if you did need them, you would not be getting them for a long time right now.

Lol imagine being that saltyy
if he or she wants to let them. no need to make them feel bad over a question damnn

Orthodontic treatment is available on the NHS for young people under the age of 18 at no cost. NHS orthodontic treatment isn't usually available for adults, but may be approved on a case-by-case basis if needed for health reasons. Your dentist can give you more information.
Lol imagine being that saltyy
if he or she wants to let them. no need to make them feel bad over a question damnn

Imagine being such a coward that you have to go anonymous to say this...

Dentists are currently dealing with emergencies only. OP's issue in not an emergency, and they have already been told they are not eligible for braces on the NHS (on multiple occasions, by the sounds of things) - why give them false hope?
Original post by Luna_1
No not really, she had a lot of gaps and some teeth weren't as straight as they could be. Was this your dentist or orthodontist?

It was the dentist. I got a letter from my orthodontist saying how It would take me months just to get an appointment with them in general like damn
Original post by black tea

I didn't say that was my biggest concern. I just realised I'm going to turn 18 soon so there's no time for me to delay it further. But u have a good day.
Original post by AzureCeleste

Your teeth are graded anyway based on the severity of the problem (whether things are alligned etc.) on a scale. If you have a high enough score you can get it. Otherwise it is considered to be for cosmetic purposes

I mean fine as in through the standard it needs to be for NHS not to give me braces. And I understand it's for.cosmetic purposes but a lot of ppl my age did it for that too and they got it for free which is why I'm lost (tehre teeth were completely straight and better than mine)

My problem is that there's a mini gap between every tooth of mine. And 4 of my teeth grew back facing sidewards instead of the front way so there completely sharp If that makes sense. Whenever I talk or smile u can see it clearly
I mean fine as in through the standard it needs to be for NHS not to give me braces. And I understand it's for.cosmetic purposes but a lot of ppl my age did it for that too and they got it for free which is why I'm lost (tehre teeth were completely straight and better than mine)

Just because their teeth look straight doesn’t mean they don’t have orthodontic problems requiring treatment.

My teeth pre-braces looked completely straight, but I had a massive overbite that would have ended up causing hearing & jaw problems if it hadn’t been fixed, so I got braces for free.

If your teeth are a bit crooked, but aren’t going to cause you medical problems, then you aren’t going to be able to get braces on the NHS.

My problem is that there's a mini gap between every tooth of mine. And 4 of my teeth grew back facing sidewards instead of the front way so there completely sharp If that makes sense. Whenever I talk or smile u can see it clearly

They may have had other problems. Maybe their jaw wasn't actually aligned and there teeth weren't as straight as you thought. Are you an orthodontist? No, so you don't know
Also as it is cosmetic purposes (and you admit that) then clearly your teeth can't be that bad. If your teeth were bad enough then you'd be getting treatment
Reply 18

seems like they may have changed their policy on this. Once upon a time they'd let you get it for free for cosmetic reasons. I had mine done for this reason and it didn't cost me a penny.

Lord knows how much this would cost if you had to do it privately......
They may have had other problems. Maybe their jaw wasn't actually aligned and there teeth weren't as straight as you thought. Are you an orthodontist? No, so you don't know
Also as it is cosmetic purposes (and you admit that) then clearly your teeth can't be that bad. If your teeth were bad enough then you'd be getting treatment

I didn't just guess this I acc asked them and tehre dentist gave it to them for cosmetic purposes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending