The Student Room Group

Btech business

I was originally set on doing a-levels but I’m leaning more towards doing a level 3 btech extended diploma in business. I’m unsure on what I’d want to study at uni, I always wanted to study psychology at uni however I’m stuck between psychology or business. The colleges around me don’t offer applied psychology as a btech, so I’m thinking of just doing a business btech and maybe doing an a level In psychology on top of that. So when I do make my choice on what I want to study at uni I will have had experience in both subjects.
Is this a good idea?
Is there much point of just doing the 1 a level on the side?
Could doing the 1 a level on top of my btech benefit my application to uni?
Would this be to much work load?
Original post by H.c04
I was originally set on doing a-levels but I’m leaning more towards doing a level 3 btech extended diploma in business. I’m unsure on what I’d want to study at uni, I always wanted to study psychology at uni however I’m stuck between psychology or business. The colleges around me don’t offer applied psychology as a btech, so I’m thinking of just doing a business btech and maybe doing an a level In psychology on top of that. So when I do make my choice on what I want to study at uni I will have had experience in both subjects.
Is this a good idea?

Hey :smile:

Will the colleges near you allow you to take an additional A-level alongside a BTEC? Might be worth double checking.

In terms of the benefit, if you're going to apply for an extended diploma, this is often enough to satisfy offers for courses so I'd consider whether you are prepared for the workload that an additional qualification will bring, and most importantly, whether or not you will enjoy the courses you are considering. If you're doing the extra A-level because you're genuinely interested in the subject, then I'd say go for it, but if you're mainly looking to benefit an application then you might find the workload difficult if you don't have a genuine interest in the course :h:

I'd suggest either contacting colleges/downloading course specs to understand what you'll cover in the extra A-level to see if it appeals to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :smile:
Original post by H.c04
Is this a good idea?

Hey, I'm just finishing business studies level 3 so I think I can chime in on this one. I personally wouldn't recommend doing a level 3 btec qualification on top of an A level for two reasons. 1 the workload for btec level 3 business studies is massive, you'll be doing something like 13/14 modules, most of which are assignment based but also include exams, presentations and projects, I personally wouldn't cope doing this qualification on top of an A level. And 2 I don't think most colleges would be able to offer this type of arrangement as it's very difficult to implement into a single time table, although I only have (well had I should say) lessons 2 and half days week, I'm expected to work independently several hours a day doing assignments/research/revision.

As for university applications , it's a brilliant qualification because it is so broad if you're like me and you prefer to keep all options open until you really have to make a decision then business is definitely the right qualification for you, whether this could get you into psychology however I don't really know, but I would recommend speaking to a careers adviser/someone in the know in that area.
Although many of the top brass universities will shun at BTEC students, you can still get into some good universities as long as you try hard and meet their criteria.

If you have any questions about the qualification then I'm more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by LeMetalhead
Hey, I'm just finishing business studies level 3 so I think I can chime in on this one. I personally wouldn't recommend doing a level 3 btec qualification on top of an A level for two reasons. 1 the workload for btec level 3 business studies is massive, you'll be doing something like 13/14 modules, most of which are assignment based but also include exams, presentations and projects, I personally wouldn't cope doing this qualification on top of an A level. And 2 I don't think most colleges would be able to offer this type of arrangement as it's very difficult to implement into a single time table, although I only have (well had I should say) lessons 2 and half days week, I'm expected to work independently several hours a day doing assignments/research/revision.

As for university applications , it's a brilliant qualification because it is so broad if you're like me and you prefer to keep all options open until you really have to make a decision then business is definitely the right qualification for you, whether this could get you into psychology however I don't really know, but I would recommend speaking to a careers adviser/someone in the know in that area.
Although many of the top brass universities will shun at BTEC students, you can still get into some good universities as long as you try hard and meet their criteria.

If you have any questions about the qualification then I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Thank you for the reply really helped
Couple more questions
I didn’t study business for a GCSE do you think this would disadvantage me in anyway or set me back?
I haven’t looked much into the difference between A-levels and a BTECH but the most common difference I’ve heard is a BTECH is more hands on and vocational compared to a-levels which are a lot more classroom based. Would you say BTECH business is vocational and more hands on than the A-level business?
You mentioned the modules being mostly assignments however some being exams, are these exams taken at the end of the year or are these exams sat during the course?

Thank you again for the reply :smile:
Original post by H.c04
Thank you for the reply really helped
Couple more questions
I didn’t study business for a GCSE do you think this would disadvantage me in anyway or set me back?
I haven’t looked much into the difference between A-levels and a BTECH but the most common difference I’ve heard is a BTECH is more hands on and vocational compared to a-levels which are a lot more classroom based. Would you say BTECH business is vocational and more hands on than the A-level business?
You mentioned the modules being mostly assignments however some being exams, are these exams taken at the end of the year or are these exams sat during the course?

Thank you again for the reply :smile:

No worries :biggrin:

1- No not really, the way modules are structured is that they allow you to learn the concepts taught and then you will have the opportunity to apply that knowledge, so you won't just be thrown at the deep end, so you'll have lessons about a certain assignment, and then in your free time you'll apply that knowledge to your assignment, if you're unsure about something then ask your tutor, I can't stress enough how important this is, they are there to help you. One thing I have to be honest about though is that on level 3 you have a lot of content to learn, but don't put off by that because you will get plenty of support because of the way BTEC courses are structured.

2- Yes although this depends on what subject you are doing, the main aspect that sets both qualifications apart is the fact that you are required to do something related to your field as part of your qualification, usually in the form of work experience. This does widely vary on the subject you're taking however, for example Health and Social care is very hands on but Business is more theory focused, if you choose to do BTEC Business Studies you will spend most of your time in a classroom. It is also worth mentioning that unlike in A levels you will do a number of external activities outside of the classroom in units that require it, for example unit 4 - managing an event is, as the name suggests, is dedicated to learning how to set up, organise and coordinate events. But you will not just learn how to do it, you will actually do it in the form of a charity event of some form, you will work with your peers and your superiors to put on an event, and you'll write about it in a number of assignments. This was one of the most activity oriented units I did, but I found it really useful, and I think you will as well because if you want to do event management at university, you can mention that you've learned about it and done it, which may give you an advantage over students who perhaps didn't study the subject in so much detail (take that sixth formers :h:)

3- This depends on the college's schedule, but in general exams are taken either in January and/or May, some colleges prefer to do them in January, others in May, or do them in January and May. You will be taking 4 exams which will be split in 2 per year, in my first year I did one in January and the other in May, but this year I did both of them in January, so it depends on the college you're studying, but they are always taken either in January and/or May.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending