The Student Room Group

Which universities should I apply to?

So I'm not filling out my UCAS application yet but want to get an early start on thinking about which universities I should apply to.

To give you a little background about myself, I became sick around the time GCSE's started but it was still "bearable" which meant I was able to take my GCSE's (I was predicted to receive mostly A's and A*'s but received lower grades due to being sick). Unfortunately halfway through AS-Levels I became sick to the point where I had to drop out. I was bedridden up until last year and am now ready to resume my education. I'm 21 years old now which counts me as mature and have found the best way to do this is to complete an Access Course.

This is where the confusion begins as I'm not sure which universities I should be applying to. It's my understanding that I get to add 5 choices to my UCAS application but I don't want to just add a whole bunch of Universities that don't accept me and then ending up wasting another year while waiting to submit applications again.

So far I've just been working my way down the rankings and asking which Universities will accept Access courses for entry into their BSc Computer Science. Most of these require at least 30 distinctions (15 of these being for Maths) and the remaining credits being Merit or higher.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding which Universities I should be applying to, this is the list I've got so far but as I said they're pretty high ranking and I don't want to waste my 5 choices on Universities that I have no chance of being accepted to.

-Leeds
-Warwick
-Edinburgh
-Exeter
-Nottingham
-King's College
-Loughborough

And here are my GCSE Results;
-Maths A
-English A
-Computing B
-Geography B
-Physics B
-Biology B
-Chemistry B
-Physics B
-Product Design B
-Mandarin ELC Lvl 3
-French NVQ

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
All good universities, it's up to you to dwindle the list down

Here is a few tips though.
I suspect you have already checked their prestige and rankings etc.

But what about its location?
How much is accommodation?
Are there many opportunities for student jobs?
Do some offer bursaries?
You get the Idea.

They are all very good universities I'd probably throw one choice that is more of a back up option.
E.g Bangor university in Wales that just want you to pass the access course. They also offer a year in the industry.
It doesn't have to be Bangor but I suspect all of them universities are gonna be asking for mainly distinctions and you have been out of education for sometime. So a back up option is always good.
Original post by CompSciEnth
So I'm not filling out my UCAS application yet but want to get an early start on thinking about which universities I should apply to.

To give you a little background about myself, I became sick around the time GCSE's started but it was still "bearable" which meant I was able to take my GCSE's (I was predicted to receive mostly A's and A*'s but received lower grades due to being sick). Unfortunately halfway through AS-Levels I became sick to the point where I had to drop out. I was bedridden up until last year and am now ready to resume my education. I'm 21 years old now which counts me as mature and have found the best way to do this is to complete an Access Course.

This is where the confusion begins as I'm not sure which universities I should be applying to. It's my understanding that I get to add 5 choices to my UCAS application but I don't want to just add a whole bunch of Universities that don't accept me and then ending up wasting another year while waiting to submit applications again.

So far I've just been working my way down the rankings and asking which Universities will accept Access courses for entry into their BSc Computer Science. Most of these require at least 30 distinctions (15 of these being for Maths) and the remaining credits being Merit or higher.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding which Universities I should be applying to, this is the list I've got so far but as I said they're pretty high ranking and I don't want to waste my 5 choices on Universities that I have no chance of being accepted to.

-Leeds
-Warwick
-Edinburgh
-Exeter
-Nottingham
-King's College
-Loughborough

And here are my GCSE Results;
-Maths A
-English A
-Computing B
-Geography B
-Physics B
-Biology B
-Chemistry B
-Physics B
-Product Design B
-Mandarin ELC Lvl 3
-French NVQ

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi @CompSciEnth

That's a good list and your GCSE results are good.
@adam271 has made some great points for you to consider. All I would add is that you consider contacting the admissions departments of each of the unis on your list and ask them the questions you need answers to. You can contact our admissions at Loughborough by e-mailing [email protected] - they'll be able to give you some really good advice as will the other unis on the list I'm sure.

Good luck with your research - if you need anything from us just ask. We're always happy to help :smile:

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending