The Student Room Group

Will all the tear 12’s have to retake.

Iv just seen an arrival written by the telegraph saying year 12 might have to retake- I know this could be false.
Who records this will happen
Also what will happen to those student who have already retaken year 12, we can’t go back again surely ?

Scroll to see replies

I doubt it since there would be a whole year gap in the education system, if 13s go to uni and year 12s stay year 12s and year 11s move up then who will be in year 13 and year 12 will be freakishly big
Original post by mpaprika
I doubt it since there would be a whole year gap in the education system, if 13s go to uni and year 12s stay year 12s and year 11s move up then who will be in year 13 and year 12 will be freakishly big

I think they would make it year 12 a and year 12 b because its very unfair to allow year 12s to do the exams with them missing nearly 4 months of school time
Original post by rehena12
I think they would make it year 12 a and year 12 b because its very unfair to allow year 12s to do the exams with them missing nearly 4 months of school time

That would nearly be impossible as there will be an OVER load in university application and as someone started above there will be a gap where no one goes uni or college cause they didn't sit the exam. Also other years below how would that work for them since the education system is like one big line that everyone is slowly moving up in.

For me the best thing they can't do is also give us special consideration due to the fact majority of year 12s have missed a big chunk in education or not fully developed knowledge as it is majority self taught. Special consideration could include missing out certain information in the test or making tests slightly simpler for us.

some colleges are just encouraging students to do their best now and they could hopefully revist those topics when School starts again. However I think people who are doing Science or something that you have MILLIONS of online resources for shouldn't have special consideration to the same extent as those who have very limited online resources. That's just what I think but who knows what the education department will do about this
Original post by Stanza03
That would nearly be impossible as there will be an OVER load in university application and as someone started above there will be a gap where no one goes uni or college cause they didn't sit the exam. Also other years below how would that work for them since the education system is like one big line that everyone is slowly moving up in.

For me the best thing they can't do is also give us special consideration due to the fact majority of year 12s have missed a big chunk in education or not fully developed knowledge as it is majority self taught. Special consideration could include missing out certain information in the test or making tests slightly simpler for us.

some colleges are just encouraging students to do their best now and they could hopefully revist those topics when School starts again. However I think people who are doing Science or something that you have MILLIONS of online resources for shouldn't have special consideration to the same extent as those who have very limited online resources. That's just what I think but who knows what the education department will do about this

I think people who have science should have special consideration because a lot of the content is harder to teach especially chemistry and physics the content is very abstract and a lot of student need to have a teacher government wouldn’t give special consideration to one subject and not the other plus science subjects are usually the hardest subjects to do well in
I think people who have science should have special consideration because a lot of the content is harder to teach especially chemistry and physics the content is very abstract and a lot of student need to have a teacher government wouldn’t give special consideration to one subject and not the other plus science subjects are usually the hardest subjects to do well in

Totally agree about them being the hardest subject but when you can have literally MILLIONS of online resources at hand majority of them free where someone teaches it to you don't think it's an excuse for them not to be bad at it but for them to get a very good basic understanding of it. Unlike subjects like Classical Civilization which I do and have barley found any taught subjects online. My remote learning has basically been done throught googling and not actually having it taught to me with a deeper level of understanding or perspective (which is one of the requirements to get a higher marks in).than I would if I was in class where we have open discussion about it.

Science in my opinion is heavily student based meaning it's their job to make sure they know what is going on and how to educate themselves. The teacher is there as an extra support to allow them to ask questions and such. But it's mainly straightforward how to get from point A to point B when you really strip down the question which I feel a lot of people don't do.
Totally agree about them being the hardest subject but when you can have literally MILLIONS of online resources at hand majority of them free where someone teaches it to you don't think it's an excuse for them not to be bad at it but for them to get a very good basic understanding of it. Unlike subjects like Classical Civilization which I do and have barley found any taught subjects online. My remote learning has basically been done throught googling and not actually having it taught to me with a deeper level of understanding or perspective (which is one of the requirements to get a higher marks in).than I would if I was in class where we have open discussion about it.

Science in my opinion is heavily student based meaning it's their job to make sure they know what is going on and how to educate themselves. The teacher is there as an extra support to allow them to ask questions and such. But it's mainly straightforward how to get from point A to point B when you really strip down the question which I feel a lot of people don't do.

I do physics and I get what your saying but it’s not that easy to explain also there’s practically that need to be done so students can actually understand the questions also it depends on the exam boards too. I honestly can’t complain because there’s definitely more resources for physics then classical civilisation.this is why a lot of school wouldn’t teach that subject hope the best for us though
I do physics and I get what your saying but it’s not that easy to explain also there’s practically that need to be done so students can actually understand the questions also it depends on the exam boards too. I honestly can’t complain because there’s definitely more resources for physics then classical civilisation.this is why a lot of school wouldn’t teach that subject hope the best for us though

Yeah I understand that practicals allow for further understanding but you can find most in not all of them online on YouTube or something. No question is going to be specially tailored to the exam results you got in your practical just that you understand the practical and how you for from A to B.

It's not widely offered that's why I choose it, it's something different than the next person who may have chosen the basic level Alevels for my uni degree. Doing classics has widely improved my essay writing skills and my ability to site scholars which is a skill you may need for university.

Definitely hope the best for everyone in Year 12 atm definitely a big struggle, I'm glad we have a week off after next week.
Yeah I understand that practicals allow for further understanding but you can find most in not all of them online on YouTube or something. No question is going to be specially tailored to the exam results you got in your practical just that you understand the practical and how you for from A to B.

It's not widely offered that's why I choose it, it's something different than the next person who may have chosen the basic level Alevels for my uni degree. Doing classics has widely improved my essay writing skills and my ability to site scholars which is a skill you may need for university.

Definitely hope the best for everyone in Year 12 atm definitely a big struggle, I'm glad we have a week off after next week.

I disagree with the practicals as my practicals are assessed and I need a pass in that to do my uni course. It needs to be physically done for some requirements. If practicals questions was that easy they wouldn’t make it into a paper 3 for at least my examboard. What you need to know for practicals is different from a level to GCSEs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PetitePanda
I disagree with the practicals as my practicals are assessed and I need a pass in that to do my uni course. It needs to be physically done for some requirements.

I agree with you on a university level but in college. It is only there for the experiment first hand

The practicals are not further understand some practicals you need to know to answer questions

That would be really unfair to do so. Even though they have million of resources it’s not the students fault for that and your teachers should be providing that support. It’s like private students and state students - one has more resources than the other but it’s not their fault but the circumstances. Also they wouldn’t be able to miss out certain information as schools cover different content and different times.

In my opinion taking classics doesn’t differentiate you from a someone who takes a “basic” a level it actually does the opposite. I actually this very conversation with my teacher . Universities will think your not good enough to get a good grade to do the basic a level plus the basic a level are mostly facilitating subject which are regarded higher
I agree with you on a university level but in college. It is only there for the experiment first hand

I’m not too sure if you take a science based subject but that’s completely wrong . A lot of practicals you need to pass and understand to answer questions
The practicals are not further understand some practicals you need to know to answer questions

It is further understanding. Cause on paper it could say the outcome of the practical but your job is to see how, how did they get to the final product. By doing so allows for further understanding.

No I’m doing law I need that pass because it’s a entry requirement and even for science degrees you need practicals as they won’t let you in if you aren’t competent in a lab. You get assessed on your practical work and you need to complete these requirements, which you need to physically doing them. They are required and assessed and a part of our exam which is a whole paper 3 and you need physical experience and teacher’s help to fully understand as the resources online will only take you so far.
I’m not too sure if you take a science based subject but that’s completely wrong . A lot of practicals you need to pass and understand to answer questions

Are you assessed during them practicals. Is there someone coming around with a clip board and paper marking each individual on them.

Nope so you are not assessed on during the practical you are being assessed on the information you have gained from doing the practical
In my opinion taking classics doesn’t differentiate you from a someone who takes a “basic” a level it actually does the opposite. I actually this very conversation with my teacher . Universities will think your not good enough to get a good grade to do the basic a level plus the basic a level are mostly facilitating subject which are regarded higher

Idk how science is basic but I agree with your first point. Unis don’t care about any subject that isn’t required or recommended and science subjects give you more options tbh but classic civilisation is a good a level tho. However I don’t agree with you second point as unis don’t care what subject you do unless it’s required or recommended and only 1 college in Cambridge cares about facilitating subjects.
Original post by PetitePanda
No I’m doing law I need that pass because it’s a entry requirement and even for science degrees you need practicals as they won’t let you in if you aren’t competent in a lab. You get assessed on your practical work and you need to complete these requirements, which you need to physically doing them. They are required and assessed and a part of our exam which is a whole paper 3 and you need physical experience and teacher’s help to fully understand as the resources online will only take you so far.

Sorry but what are you talking about law and Science. Your answer has really confused me there. sorry
(edited 3 years ago)
Are you assessed during them practicals. Is there someone coming around with a clip board and paper marking each individual on them.

Nope so you are not assessed on during the practical you are being assessed on the information you have gained from doing the practical

Yes we are. We literally are assessed as I mentioned many times. Yes they are checking if they meet the requirements of that practical. For one of the requirement, they have to ask us how we did them and explain stuff to see we understand it without any help on the spot. We are assessed on both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending