The Student Room Group

Still not over ex after a year

So my ex and I broke up last year June and he initiated it, but I'm still not over him even though it's been almost a year. After the break up, we continued talking and tried to be friends but I know this was a bad idea as it just made it harder to let go. We were even occasionally sleeping together for a few months afterwards (another bad idea). The last time I saw him was in January, nearly 4 months ago. I told him then that I didn't want to stay in contact anymore as I was struggling to move on and he respected that but we still exchanged texts every few weeks.

The reason we broke up was because he was struggling with his mental health and it was negatively affecting our relationship. He felt like he was no longer himself anymore and didn't want to keep hurting me. But when we were together, I was the happiest I've ever been and I'm struggling to get past it. A part of me is still hoping we will eventually get back together once his mental health improves, or he will change his mind and realise he needs me. I dated and slept with other guys after our breakup but none of them could fill the void he left in me.

I'm actually in a long distance relationship right now, but we've been on/off for the last 6 months (my fault because I can't get over my ex). Although even with my new boyfriend, I still miss my ex so much and I know that I don't love him the way I loved my ex.

My ex has told me he hasn't been with anyone else since we broke up but I also feel like he's not bothered about me moving on with someone else, he's just so selfless and would rather I was happy even if it wasn't with him. This only makes me want him even more. He was perfect, loving, caring, supportive, my first love and everything you could want in a boyfriend. Whenever I talk to him, I start to feel desperate to have him but he always says the same thing - he needs to sort himself/his life out and basically we can't be together.

I really want to move on and just forget about him and focus all my love and attention on my new boyfriend but I don't know how to (especially because it's a LDR). My ex is always on my mind and I miss our friendship as well as our relationship. I've had to remove our pictures and delete all our old messages but I've seen and read them over too much that they're engrained in my memory.

Another obstacle making it difficult to move on is that when we were together, my ex and I had an amazing relationship. We weren't just a couple, we were best friends. We told each other everything and he was the person I went to when I was happy or sad; he was by my side at my best and also at my worst. He made me a better, stronger person and he was the best thing that ever happened to me. Losing him felt like losing a best friend as well as a boyfriend.

I really don't know how to continue the rest of my life without him. I'm not depressed or anything and I feel happy with my life in general - I have a good job, new relationship, friends, hobbies - but I don't know if I will ever be able to get over my ex. Please help.
I'm not surprised it will take time.
There are no time scales for this type of thing as we are all different.
Some people will come to terms quite quickly others not so.
So don't worry take your time, and you will come out of it, remember the old saying time is a great healer, and believe you me it is. Good luck. X
Reply 2
Ive just broken up after 6 months so I know how u feel.
However I'm in my mid 20s and have been in a serious relationship before.
How long were you bf/gf with your ex for?
Also where are you in life, are you a full time uni student, are you working?

Don't worry you will meet other awesome people in your life.
You are meant to be happy, and that happiness can be found with more than one person.
Believe me this is true.

And if you've managed to attract an awesome person before you will do it again :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by xylas
Ive just broken up after 6 months so I know how u feel.
However I'm in my mid 20s and have been in a serious relationship before.
How long were you bf/gf with your ex for?
Also where are you in life, are you a full time uni student, are you working?

Don't worry you will meet other awesome people in your life.
You are meant to be happy, and that happiness can be found with more than one person.
Believe me this is true.

And if you've managed to attract an awesome person before you will do it again :smile:

Sorry about your breakup! I'm 22 (graduated, working) and we were together for 1 year 7 months. I know it's not long but we were serious and he was older than me by 6 years so had a lot more relationship experience. He also said I was the best thing that happened to him and I was his longest relationship because of that but... look where we are now. Thanks for the reply, I just need some practical advice more than emotional.
Reply 4
Original post by Karisa96
I'm not surprised it will take time.
There are no time scales for this type of thing as we are all different.
Some people will come to terms quite quickly others not so.
So don't worry take your time, and you will come out of it, remember the old saying time is a great healer, and believe you me it is. Good luck. X

I know time heals but a year ago I wouldn't have thought I'd still be thinking about my ex now.
Original post by Anonymous
I know time heals but a year ago I wouldn't have thought I'd still be thinking about my ex now.

Hi. My ex broke up with me 3 October's ago. I am mostly over her, although in some morning's, I wake up to lingering thoughts of her.
I doubted living after she died but I cried enough, wrote my entire brain out and now I'm here, not as happy but doing fine.
I will continue to love her and I rarely message her now.
You'd think with how coronavirus is killing people I'd be dm'ing her but not yet. I am much stronger.
It will take time.
Reply 6
Sorry about your breakup! I'm 22 (graduated, working) and we were together for 1 year 7 months. I know it's not long but we were serious and he was older than me by 6 years so had a lot more relationship experience. He also said I was the best thing that happened to him and I was his longest relationship because of that but... look where we are now. Thanks for the reply, I just need some practical advice more than emotional.

Yeah 19 months is a long time of course you're gonna still have thoughts about him.
In my first relationship of roughly a year, I didn't stop thinking about her for the next 6 months.

You probably were the best thing that happened to him.

But things end for a reason and that's just how life works. Doesn't mean the times spent with that person meant nothing, in fact it's the opposite.

Do you really still want a friendship with him or is that just emotions talking?
Because how is a friendship with an ex gonna work when you're with someone?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by xylas
Yeah 19 months is a long time of course you're gonna still have thoughts about him.
In my first relationship of roughly a year, I didn't stop thinking about her for the next 6 months.

You probably were the best thing that happened to him.

But things end for a reason and that's just how life works. Doesn't mean the times spent with that person meant nothing, in fact it's the opposite.

Do you really still want a friendship with him or is that just emotions talking?
Because how is a friendship with an ex gonna work when you're with someone?

I want more than friendship but friendship is all I can get right now. I would break up with my current boyfriend if it I meant I could be his again. I know we broke up for a reason but there was nothing bad that happened between us, we didn't cheat or argue a lot or anything. We still loved each other. It was just his mental health that affected us. And it doesn't seem fair that our relationship ended because of it as neither of us were at fault.
Reply 8
I know if my boyfriend found out I was texting him even as friends he would be really upset. But my boyfriend lives in a different continent and I don't know when I'll even see him again. Also he knew I still had feelings for my ex as I still loved my ex when I met my current boyfriend. I was also honest with him when we were on/off explaining that I still had feelings for my ex. But then I recently went to visit my boyfriend and stayed with him for a month so I guess he assumes I've moved on now.
Reply 9
I know if my boyfriend found out I was texting him even as friends he would be really upset. But my boyfriend lives in a different continent and I don't know when I'll even see him again. Also he knew I still had feelings for my ex as I still loved my ex when I met my current boyfriend. I was also honest with him when we were on/off explaining that I still had feelings for my ex. But then I recently went to visit my boyfriend and stayed with him for a month so I guess he assumes I've moved on now.

Yes he would assume you've moved on, it would be very unfair on him otherwise.

No-one's saying you don't love your ex. I love my ex, but what's the point dwelling on it.

"I would break up with my current boyfriend if it I meant I could be his again." is not a good place to be. I'm guessing you didn't tell your boyfriend this.

I suggest either you resolve these feelings inside you and know that they are just feelings which will go away. Or you tell your boyfriend you are not ready to be in a relationship right now until you work these things out.

And relationships do not need to end because a party is at fault. Actually neither of my relationships ended that way.

I reiterate what I said, you can still love your ex but that doesn't mean you can't move on. I'm moving on as we speak :smile:
Original post by xylas
Yes he would assume you've moved on, it would be very unfair on him otherwise.

No-one's saying you don't love your ex. I love my ex, but what's the point dwelling on it.

"I would break up with my current boyfriend if it I meant I could be his again." is not a good place to be. I'm guessing you didn't tell your boyfriend this.

I suggest either you resolve these feelings inside you and know that they are just feelings which will go away. Or you tell your boyfriend you are not ready to be in a relationship right now until you work these things out.

And relationships do not need to end because a party is at fault. Actually neither of my relationships ended that way.

I reiterate what I said, you can still love your ex but that doesn't mean you can't move on. I'm moving on as we speak :smile:

I actually don't want to dwell anymore. I feel like I want to move on but there are two things stopping me. One is the idea that one day we'll get back together and live happily ever after. And another is, what if I regret letting him go? I don't want to be feeling like this many years later, when he's married to someone else. I've been watching a lot of Back With The Ex as well (hope my boyfriend doesn't see this on my Netflix account lol) and it's just made me feel like I need to try again because the way I felt about him was something I've never felt before and it's never really gone away, even after a year.

Breaking up with my boyfriend would destroy him. I already tried to do it two or three times and all I do is keep hurting him and I feel horrible. He loves me so much, I know he does. I try to tell him he deserves better but all he sees is me. I don't want to break his heart again only for my ex to reject me AGAIN. It will just be too much unnecessary heartache.

Also, how can you love someone and move on at the same time? Aren't they constantly on your mind? Don't you feel the urge to message them and ask how they are?
He didn’t want to hurt you, yet he was happy to muddy the waters and continued to sleep with you even though he knew you had feelings. He sounds very selfish.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by YaliaV
He didn’t want to hurt you, yet he was happy to muddy the waters and continued to sleep with you even though he knew you had feelings. He sounds very selfish.

It was a mutual decision to sleep together, purely because the love and the sexual attraction was still there. I don't blame him for that at all.
Reply 13
I actually don't want to dwell anymore. I feel like I want to move on but there are two things stopping me. One is the idea that one day we'll get back together and live happily ever after. And another is, what if I regret letting him go? I don't want to be feeling like this many years later, when he's married to someone else. I've been watching a lot of Back With The Ex as well (hope my boyfriend doesn't see this on my Netflix account lol) and it's just made me feel like I need to try again because the way I felt about him was something I've never felt before and it's never really gone away, even after a year.

Breaking up with my boyfriend would destroy him. I already tried to do it two or three times and all I do is keep hurting him and I feel horrible. He loves me so much, I know he does. I try to tell him he deserves better but all he sees is me. I don't want to break his heart again only for my ex to reject me AGAIN. It will just be too much unnecessary heartache.

Also, how can you love someone and move on at the same time? Aren't they constantly on your mind? Don't you feel the urge to message them and ask how they are?

Excuse me but what do you mean 'letting him go'. Are you in denial that you have broken up? How do you do that, find another boyfriend and even go abroad to stay with him for a whole month?

There is nothing rational about that. You have to admit it is just feelings talking because you can't expect someone to take that seriously.

Your situation is not uncommon. I've told you that I've had similar experiences. You will not lose that feeling anytime soon, the first love is very powerful.

If you don't want to continue the relationship with your boyfriend then end it. It is unfair on him if you don't want to be with him but you are staying with him anyway. 'Because he loves you', 'because it would destroy him' are not good reasons for staying in a relationship.

If you do stay with him then he will assume as everyone else will that you love him and want to be with him. Again I will emphasise that you travelled abroad to stay with him for 1 month. You don't want to imply that you did that for his benefit?

Love isn't the only thing in a relationship. If that person doesn't trust you, respect you or vice versa then these are things that break relationships down.
Yes ex-lovers are on my mind sometimes but I know that I am remembering the good times so that I feel good, but that nothing in life is 'perfect'.

Your ex is not perfect as you said. No human is, we are all the same and I know you love him and he was your first and only, but there will be someone else. If your current boyfriend is not this person then reconsider why you are staying with him.

There are other threads on this but it is not normal to stay in contact with your ex. It doesn't sound like you have moved on mentally or emotionally but this needs to happen for you to be happy.
Original post by xylas
Excuse me but what do you mean 'letting him go'. Are you in denial that you have broken up? How do you do that, find another boyfriend and even go abroad to stay with him for a whole month?

There is nothing rational about that. You have to admit it is just feelings talking because you can't expect someone to take that seriously.

Your situation is not uncommon. I've told you that I've had similar experiences. You will not lose that feeling anytime soon, the first love is very powerful.

If you don't want to continue the relationship with your boyfriend then end it. It is unfair on him if you don't want to be with him but you are staying with him anyway. 'Because he loves you', 'because it would destroy him' are not good reasons for staying in a relationship.

If you do stay with him then he will assume as everyone else will that you love him and want to be with him. Again I will emphasise that you travelled abroad to stay with him for 1 month. You don't want to imply that you did that for his benefit?

Love isn't the only thing in a relationship. If that person doesn't trust you, respect you or vice versa then these are things that break relationships down.
Yes ex-lovers are on my mind sometimes but I know that I am remembering the good times so that I feel good, but that nothing in life is 'perfect'.

Your ex is not perfect as you said. No human is, we are all the same and I know you love him and he was your first and only, but there will be someone else. If your current boyfriend is not this person then reconsider why you are staying with him.

There are other threads on this but it is not normal to stay in contact with your ex. It doesn't sound like you have moved on mentally or emotionally but this needs to happen for you to be happy.

It's more complicated than you think. I'm not in denial about the breakup (well, maybe a tiny bit) but I just feel like if I let us drift apart (even as friends) I might end up regretting it later.

I met my boyfriend when I went to volunteer abroad in the country he lived in, which also happens to be the same country I was born before I moved here. Anyway, I recently went to stay with him to have a holiday, see my family there as well as see him. I booked the flights very spontaneously when I was in a really good place with him.

I don't regret the decision as it brought us much closer and helped me stop thinking about my ex. But now I'm back in the same country as my ex and away from my boyfriend, my ex is alwaaaays on my mind.

I acknowledge my behaviour can seem irrational and abnormal but I do want to change it. If only someone could steal my phone and erase his number from my memory so I'll have no choice but to not contact my ex.

I do want to be with my boyfriend but I just don't love him the way he loves me. I feel like in a relationship there's always someone who loves the other person more. Like I think I loved my ex more. I mean, he became completely emotionally unavailable towards the end.
Reply 15
It's more complicated than you think. I'm not in denial about the breakup (well, maybe a tiny bit) but I just feel like if I let us drift apart (even as friends) I might end up regretting it later.

I met my boyfriend when I went to volunteer abroad in the country he lived in, which also happens to be the same country I was born before I moved here. Anyway, I recently went to stay with him to have a holiday, see my family there as well as see him. I booked the flights very spontaneously when I was in a really good place with him.

I don't regret the decision as it brought us much closer and helped me stop thinking about my ex. But now I'm back in the same country as my ex and away from my boyfriend, my ex is alwaaaays on my mind.

I acknowledge my behaviour can seem irrational and abnormal but I do want to change it. If only someone could steal my phone and erase his number from my memory so I'll have no choice but to not contact my ex.

I do want to be with my boyfriend but I just don't love him the way he loves me. I feel like in a relationship there's always someone who loves the other person more. Like I think I loved my ex more. I mean, he became completely emotionally unavailable towards the end.

It is extremely difficult, in most cases impossible, to remain friends with an ex.
From what it sounds like, in your situation especially with your continued feelings (which are just feelings and don't need to mean anything greater) it is very unlikely you will be able to be friends with your ex.

So if you love your boyfriend and you enjoy being with him then that's the bottom line.
It doesn't matter if you feel he loves you more.

Yes you are right, relationships are not a counting game about who loves the other person more.
He may love you more, or in a different way, and that is completely fine.

Your previous relationship has ended, and all relationships end for a reason.
He has rejected you (for whatever reason) and if he wanted you he knows how to get hold of you.

You say it's 'more complicated' but it's really as simple as that.
You need to cut contact with him fully. Use that time period to get over him and in the future when those feelings have gone you can think abt being friends with him.
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to take in on board and just forget about him. I hope in the future he realises his loss, feels **** about it and by then, I'll have fully moved on without him :smile:
You need to cut contact with him fully. Use that time period to get over him and in the future when those feelings have gone you can think abt being friends with him.

Thanks, I'm going to buy a new phone with a new number and cut contact :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending