The Student Room Group

Teeth and misaligned jaw

So I'm almost 18 and had gappy teeth since I can remember. Recently they've began to bother me more and more and I also realised I have a misaligned jaw (the middle of my top teeth doesn't like up with the middle of my bottom). Denist also confirmed this recently. It clicks a lot but doesn't cause me pain. Dentist referred to the orthodontist years ago about the gap between my front two teeth and what options I had to get it fixed but as it was more for cosmetic reasons they only said I could get braces done privately which would cost around 4 grand. Of which I don't have haha. I'm a bit stuck and don't know what to do. My misaligned jaw is noticeable in photos and makes me feel pretty darn unattractive, so does my front gap as I have a goofy smile. It's like my front right tooth is taking a right hand turn ffs! My dentist is reluctant to refer me again, which is understandable, as my jaw isn't causing me pain and neither is the gap in my teeth (mental pain for sure doe😂). He said I could say to the orthodontist that my jaw IS causing me pain but would that even work? Do I just suck it up, grow a lady pair and wait til I'm older and can afford it or do I try again with another dentist? Problem is I'm about to turn 18 in June so no longer can get it free on the NHS (I believe?). Are there any other ways around it? I'd love to hear other people's personal experiences with similar situations :smile: Thanks lads❤️
(edited 3 years ago)
Check this website, it should help you out with any enquiries:
www.dermaosteaosicnhs.011.co.uk

Or this:
www.nooneelserepliedsoifeltbadtheaboveisnotreal.com
Reply 2
Original post by Riyadh101
Check this website, it should help you out with any enquiries:
www.dermaosteaosicnhs.011.co.uk

Or this:
www.nooneelserepliedsoifeltbadtheaboveisnotreal.com

Thanks man😂 but it has only been 5 mins since I posted...
If you're going to uni (full-time education) NHS still cover you.
If you're definitely going to spend that money to fix your jaw anyway, better do it now. Tbh you should have done it sooner, it's easier when you're young. I have misaligned jaw as well, and my dentist said I only have 80% chance of making it 'perfect' (I was 18) while if I did it when I was 15 it would be 100%. Also if left until late it will become much harder to fix and can cause serious problems.
Reply 4
Original post by Arctic Kitten
If you're going to uni (full-time education) NHS still cover you.
If you're definitely going to spend that money to fix your jaw anyway, better do it now. Tbh you should have done it sooner, it's easier when you're young. I have misaligned jaw as well, and my dentist said I only have 80% chance of making it 'perfect' (I was 18) while if I did it when I was 15 it would be 100%. Also if left until late it will become much harder to fix and can cause serious problems.

Thanks for your reply man. It's something I've only realised in the past few months 🤷🏼*♀️ I can't afford it and neither can my parents as they have other more important things to pay for. I'm also taking a gap year cos I'm unsure on what I wanna do so NHS won't cover me. Sounds like I've cucked myself really😂 only idea I've got is to get a job after lockdown and save up for it. Braces may not fix the problem but wanna at least give it a go.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Boshaaa
Thanks for your reply man. It's something I've only realised in the past few months 🤷🏼*♀️ I can't afford it and neither can my parents as they have other more important things to pay for. I'm also taking a gap year cos I'm unsure on what I wanna do so NHS won't cover me. Sounds like I've cucked myself really😂 only idea I've got is to get a job after lockdown and save up for it. Might take a year or 2 but I'm willing to try if it means I can feel confident.

I kinda ignore it at first (My teeth are nice, just my jaw is the problem), but then I started having trouble biting. I have to wear braces for a few years now and possibly have to have surgery. Check with another dentist to see if it's gonna cause any problem. (Hopefully you don't lol)
Reply 6
I kinda ignore it at first (My teeth are nice, just my jaw is the problem), but then I started having trouble biting. I have to wear braces for a few years now and possibly have to have surgery. Check with another dentist to see if it's gonna cause any problem. (Hopefully you don't lol)

How old are you now if u don't mind me asking? N what was your process to get braces like, did u have to do it privately? The idea of surgery sucks n I have a feeling ill have to get it one day but I guess that is what we gotta do to make the braces worth while🤷🏼*♀️
Original post by Boshaaa
How old are you now if u don't mind me asking? N what was your process to get braces like, did u have to do it privately? The idea of surgery sucks n I have a feeling ill have to get it one day but I guess that is what we gotta do to make the braces worth while🤷🏼*♀️

21 now, still wearing it. I did it privately because I was going to uni so I can't go to the dentist to get my braces tightened. I do the Invisalign (it costs roughly the same, about 4000), and the good thing is I can change it myself and won't look ugly with it on (it's invisible braces). Also, it won't hurt as much as normal braces and won't be disruptive to my study.
If all goes well, the braces help my jaw aligned, I probably won't have to get surgery or postponed it till later, but that's in the far future.
The process was quite simple, I got there and got my jaw 3D scanned. They ordered the braces and it arrived in a month. I got the brace fitted and came back every week to check. The first week or two was painful, but after that, it's just a bit itchy. Then they gave me a bunch of braces I can bring to uni and change every week.
Oh and also I checked with 3 dentists in total. They all have similar opinions but differ slightly (how long do I need to wear braces, is surgery absolutely necessary etc)
Reply 9
21 now, still wearing it. I did it privately because I was going to uni so I can't go to the dentist to get my braces tightened. I do the Invisalign (it costs roughly the same, about 4000), and the good thing is I can change it myself and won't look ugly with it on (it's invisible braces). Also, it won't hurt as much as normal braces and won't be disruptive to my study.
If all goes well, the braces help my jaw aligned, I probably won't have to get surgery or postponed it till later, but that's in the far future.
The process was quite simple, I got there and got my jaw 3D scanned. They ordered the braces and it arrived in a month. I got the brace fitted and came back every week to check. The first week or two was painful, but after that, it's just a bit itchy. Then they gave me a bunch of braces I can bring to uni and change every week.

Got my fingers crossed for you🤞 sounds good n glad u were able to get it done fairly young. Unfortunately I don't have 4 grand laying around so looks like I'm gonna have to be patient and just see what happens in the next few years. I might try and get another referral anyway to ask questions n see what my options are again. Funny that my dad's company covers knee surgery insurance but not dental! Ughhh. Would u recommend trying with the ortho again?
Reply 10
Oh and also I checked with 3 dentists in total. They all have similar opinions but differ slightly (how long do I need to wear braces, is surgery absolutely necessary etc)

Fair enough. My dentist is super good and I trust his opinion fully but might have to sack him off as I feel like he isn't telling me everything I should know🤔😂
Original post by Boshaaa
Fair enough. My dentist is super good and I trust his opinion fully but might have to sack him off as I feel like he isn't telling me everything I should know🤔😂

The first one I went to straight out said surgery (obv I have to do brace and get teeth to line up before surgery) while the other 2 offered more options. I'm a bit scared of pain and surgery (who aren't?) so I visited others just to be sure. It's a lot of money so better be safe than sorry :smile:
And also most insurances don't offer vision insurance as well, like my astigmatism has gotten worse but can't find the money to do surgery :frown: I'm saving up, another 3000 quid till perfect me 😂
Reply 12
The first one I went to straight out said surgery (obv I have to do brace and get teeth to line up before surgery) while the other 2 offered more options. I'm a bit scared of pain and surgery (who aren't?) so I visited others just to be sure. It's a lot of money so better be safe than sorry :smile:
And also most insurances don't offer vision insurance as well, like my astigmatism has gotten worse but can't find the money to do surgery :frown: I'm saving up, another 3000 quid till perfect me 😂

Very true. Ive had surgery twice before so the idea of maybe having to get it wouldn't be so bad for me so if that's my last resort then send me to the surgery room! But ill probs try get some different quotes like you did and see what others say. Sorry to hear about your vision, I'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually. I'm short sighted and feel it getting worse year by year so if u see a thread about that in a few years time I'll be expecting your reply😂
look into invisalign, see if thats any cheaper? a lot of people use it for a misaligned jaw
Reply 14
Original post by Seepbrook
look into invisalign, see if thats any cheaper? a lot of people use it for a misaligned jaw

Ok I will try, thanks :smile: I'll bring it up with my dentist.
Original post by Boshaaa
Ok I will try, thanks :smile: I'll bring it up with my dentist.

Not many dentist offer that so remember to check online first :smile: I think it is one of the best options out there haha
Reply 16
Not many dentist offer that so remember to check online first :smile: I think it is one of the best options out there haha

Aight will do thank you for ya help, I'll try get on that later today n see what I can find :smile: I'll do anything at this rate even if it means saving up for years lmao
Original post by Boshaaa
Aight will do thank you for ya help, I'll try get on that later today n see what I can find :smile: I'll do anything at this rate even if it means saving up for years lmao

Good luck :smile: But don't rush it and be stressed, even if you got the money these things still take months or years! Good way to pass time in isolation tho :biggrin:
Reply 18
Good luck :smile: But don't rush it and be stressed, even if you got the money these things still take months or years! Good way to pass time in isolation tho :biggrin:

Haha very true indeed😂 just hope it doesn't cause me more problems in the meantime. Would u recommend I start the process with just enquiring around at a few places or visiting my dentist again after rona is calmed? If u got any tips on how to not feel ****ty about it, that would be appreciated too😂
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest