The Student Room Group

Social anxiety and waitressing?

I’m 19 and have been really pressed for money lately. When the pandemic ends, I want to get a job but I don’t know what to do because of my social anxiety.
I struggle immensely to talk to people and usually end up blurting out strings of incoherent words. I just get extremely nervous. This is the reason why I’m in my third year of uni without a single friend, because people are either weirded out by my lack of social skills or wary to approach me because I’m basically mute.

I’ve had two jobs in the past, one in an assistant role at a clinic and the other as an assistant teacher at a primary school.

Both experiences were pretty traumatising lol. In my first job, I would literally walk into the building with heart palpitations. Because I was so incompetent and kept on messing up, my boss hated me. No exaggeration, every day she would nitpick me to the point where I’d go home in tears.

In my second role, I couldn’t even control a bunch of 7 year olds. They basically walked all over me and the only way that I could get them to focus was by bribing them.

The thing is, almost all jobs that I’ve come across require some level of social interaction and the highest paid jobs are for some reason, waitressing jobs. My only friend has offered to recommend me at her workplace which is a restaurant/bar business, but I’m really unsure.

If I couldn’t even handle the pressure of sorting documents and teaching 7 year olds basic math, I don’t know if I could handle dealing with fully grown adults in a fast paced environment.

Any advice???
Have you tried counselling?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Have you tried counselling?

Yes. I attended therapy for two years, it didn't help me and I want to work on myself now
Well since you will be working with your friend at her workplace then maybe you could ask her to help you while you are working there? You wont feel that bad if you have someone behind your back.
Although waitressing, or indeed any job working with the general public, seems terrifying, it has the potential to do the world of good for your social anxiety. I've struggled with SA in the past and unfortunately, one of the only ways to deal with it is by putting yourself in uncomfortable situations as it's the only way you'll learn how to deal with them. Working with a friend would be a bonus - if she knows about your SA, she could help ease you into the role and you'd have a familiar face should you start feeling overwhelmed or distressed.

From my experience, food service industries don't tend you throw you in at the deep end when you're customer facing. It's likely you'll be paired up with someone when waitressing tables so you get a feel of how everything works.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Well since you will be working with your friend at her workplace then maybe you could ask her to help you while you are working there? You wont feel that bad if you have someone behind your back.

Yeah, hopefully she'll be able too! Kind of doubt it a bit though because the restaurant is really, really packed so she'll most likely be doing her own thing....
Reply 6
Original post by bones-mccoy
Although waitressing, or indeed any job working with the general public, seems terrifying, it has the potential to do the world of good for your social anxiety. I've struggled with SA in the past and unfortunately, one of the only ways to deal with it is by putting yourself in uncomfortable situations as it's the only way you'll learn how to deal with them. Working with a friend would be a bonus - if she knows about your SA, she could help ease you into the role and you'd have a familiar face should you start feeling overwhelmed or distressed.

From my experience, food service industries don't tend you throw you in at the deep end when you're customer facing. It's likely you'll be paired up with someone when waitressing tables so you get a feel of how everything works.

Thank you for the encouragement, I think the most discouraging thing for me however is the fact that I've had a very similar mindset about forcing myself into uncomfortable situations, but at least the last two jobs that I had honestly worsened my mental health. However, I know that I'll have to get a job sooner or later... so I'll try and take your advice and make the move!
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for the advice! Ah.... it seems so easy, but for someone as incompetent as myself, I don't know ..:u: I hope that it goes smoothly.
My biggest concern is really going off the script. I always imagine, what if a customer asks me to list allergens in a meal or something and I just burst out into cold sweat lol! I can barely even reply when I walk past my neighbour and he says "good morning."
Even the technicalities behind waitressing seem so confusing to me. How would I remember which table an order came from, a lot of restaurants I go too don't even have table numbers... and what if I can't write down their order fast enough lmao....
I’m 19 and have been really pressed for money lately. When the pandemic ends, I want to get a job but I don’t know what to do because of my social anxiety.
I struggle immensely to talk to people and usually end up blurting out strings of incoherent words. I just get extremely nervous. This is the reason why I’m in my third year of uni without a single friend, because people are either weirded out by my lack of social skills or wary to approach me because I’m basically mute.

I’ve had two jobs in the past, one in an assistant role at a clinic and the other as an assistant teacher at a primary school.

Both experiences were pretty traumatising lol. In my first job, I would literally walk into the building with heart palpitations. Because I was so incompetent and kept on messing up, my boss hated me. No exaggeration, every day she would nitpick me to the point where I’d go home in tears.

In my second role, I couldn’t even control a bunch of 7 year olds. They basically walked all over me and the only way that I could get them to focus was by bribing them.

The thing is, almost all jobs that I’ve come across require some level of social interaction and the highest paid jobs are for some reason, waitressing jobs. My only friend has offered to recommend me at her workplace which is a restaurant/bar business, but I’m really unsure.

If I couldn’t even handle the pressure of sorting documents and teaching 7 year olds basic math, I don’t know if I could handle dealing with fully grown adults in a fast paced environment.

Any advice???

Check out this thread which I hope will help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5847302
Thank you for the encouragement, I think the most discouraging thing for me however is the fact that I've had a very similar mindset about forcing myself into uncomfortable situations, but at least the last two jobs that I had honestly worsened my mental health. However, I know that I'll have to get a job sooner or later... so I'll try and take your advice and make the move!

That's a shame, it definitely helps having a manager who takes your SA into account even if they don't fully understand it themselves. You do have a really good, positive attitude about it, though, which leads me to believe things will get better. It's those with a defeatist attitude that get into the negative mindset of things never getting better who tend to never progress.
(edited 3 years ago)
Best cure for anxiety I’ve found is ‘flooding’. Seriously, just be confident in your abilities and throw yourself into situations which cause you anxiety. Dealing with them will drastically improve your confidence.
Hi :smile:! So I’m 17 and I’m exactly the same as you, I’m very very nervous around people and struggle to talk to anyone I’m not comfortable with, I cry every time I have to make a phone call because I’m just that scared of talking to people.

Butttt about a year ago my friend suggested I come work in the same restaurant as her, as a waitress. At first I was super skeptical and didn’t really wanna do it, but I ended up going for it. I got the job and honestly it was one of the best decisions I’ve made!! I love it there.

However, the people I work with are the most wonderful, lovely and supportive people I’ve ever met, and that’s one of the reasons I love it there so much. So ask your friend what the people are like in there.

Another reason why I like it so much is because although I find it so so hard to talk to people I find it easy to talk to customers. This is because what you say to them is sort of like a script, obviously not a proper one but there are certain things your supposed to say and react to situations with. After about a month you will learn what you need to say to customers and how you should be replying to them, it becomes second nature and i no longer have to stress about how I’m going to talk to them. For example if a customer says to me they don’t like the food I know that I need to say something like: “I’m so sorry about that, would you like me to take it back and get you a new one?” If they say no then I say “ok, again I’m so sorry is there anything else you would like? (Drinks, sauces etc)”. And if they say yes then I simply take the food away and fetch them a new one.

It all becomes like routine and you don’t even need to think about what your saying because your so used to saying it, therefore it doesn’t trigger my anxiety.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending