The Student Room Group

Can non students move into...

Student accommodations like flats/houses, I have a friend looking to move and he says the area he is looking to move a lot of them say student accommodation, can he still apply to rent/live there?
He has asked me and I literally don’t know lol
Original post by jay373
Student accommodations like flats/houses, I have a friend looking to move and he says the area he is looking to move a lot of them say student accommodation, can he still apply to rent/live there?

Depends who owns the property. If its a student house then up to the LL. If they say yes then ok. Normally they like students because they leave.
Only down side is they will be liable for CT for the whole house.
Formal student accommodation such as private dorms or university dorms would definitely be a no.

A student house, where all other occupants are students, maybe but he’d have a pretty hefty council tax bill to cover - assuming the others weren’t prepare to chip in for it.

A privately rented flat/house in which he would be the only occupant then yeah sure, if the landlord was fine with it then there shouldn’t be any problem with that.
Original post by jay373

Having a non-student living in a student house brings in some issues regarding council tax. You’ll the liable for council tax.

Therefore, student accommodation companies are almost certainly going to decline a non-student tenant.

Private landlords - potentially allowed but should be made clear when you go for the viewing. You will need to pay a certain percentage of council tax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending