The Student Room Group

Do you stick to speed limits?

I drove my car today, first time in awhile due to lockdown, I haven’t really driven my car since February tbh, I still have a lot of the £15 of gas I put in it lol.

It all came flooding back to me that everyone on the road is an *******, I’m a speed limit advocate so I do 20 in a 20, 30 in a 30 but sometimes I wonder if I am the only one on the road that does this.. I just witnessed a woman doing 40-45 in a 20 and when I was doing 30 in a 30 I could see the frustration on the behind drivers face, as soon as I turned to exit the road, he hit the gas and flew off.

I just swear all people do this and can’t understand why.. 30mph is fast enough and sometimes 20 in a 20 is justified.. I don’t always agree with the speed limits set on certain roads but I stick to them as I don’t really want points, but other drivers do make it difficult..
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

if traffic is rly bad i do otherwise i dont..
Original post by jenna_8607
if traffic is rly bad i do otherwise i dont..

How long you been driving?
Reply 3
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I drove my car today, first time in awhile due to lockdown, I haven’t really driven my car since February tbh, I still have a lot of the £15 of gas I put in it lol.

It all came flooding back to me that everyone on the road is an *******, I’m a speed limit advocate so I do 20 in a 20, 30 in a 30 but sometimes I wonder if I am the only one on the road that does this.. I just witnessed a woman doing 40-45 in a 20 and when I was doing 30 in a 30 I could see the frustration on the behind drivers face, as soon as I turned to exit the road, he hit the gas and flew off.

I just swear all people do this and can’t understand why.. 30mph is fast enough and sometimes 20 in a 20 is justified.. I don’t always agree with the speed limits set on certain roads but I stick to them as I don’t really want points, but other drivers do make it difficult..

If you think you're doing the speed limit, you'll probably find you're quite far under it.
How long you been driving?

2 years..
Yeah, sure....why not?
Reply 6

If it's appropriate - then yes, but in my area we have long wide straights that go on for miles that are 60; but its fine (imo) (and very common to see people) to do like 70/80 along it. We also have super windy roads that are also 60s, but you'd be insane to do that.

I'd say I drive faster than most other people on the road, and yes that involves speeding, but only where it's safe
I used to speed all the time when i was 19, till i got caught by a camera van, that slowed me right down nearly lost my licence. I now only speed when its safe such as dual carriageways and motorways and i can see theres no cameras or speed guns even though i have a much powerful car.
I hope everyone sticks to speed limits. Believe it or not they are there for a reason. 🙄
99.9% of the time.
Depends on the road. If it’s 20, 30, 40 I’m usually slightly above it. Any faster than that no, but my car is only 1.0L 60BHP. Sometimes it’s not appropriate to do the speed limit anyway, for example winding country lanes usually have a 60 limit, but I’d probably die if it tried to go that fast down it.
I think theres very few people (maybe older people) who actually continuously abide with the speeding laws. It's the responsibility of the driver to make the correct decision as to whether they feel it's safe and whether they are in control, that's the main thing
I stick to 20s, 30s, and 40s pretty religiously because it's objectively safer. I stick to 50s the majority of the time and 60s I kinda go by the road. There are stretches of NSL roads around here where I might occasionally hit 70 or 80.. No much chance of a speed camera or van on NSL roads though.

Again I'll stick to the limit on dual carriageways and motorways unless overtaking mainly because of the abundance of bloody speed cameras. I do love my cruise control.
Yes.
Car - usually in a 30 and 40. Maybe not so often in a 50 or de-restricted. Motorbike - always in a 30 and 40, less often in a de-restricted.
Original post by Reality Check
Car - usually in a 30 and 40. Maybe not so often in a 50 or de-restricted. Motorbike - always in a 30 and 40, less often in a de-restricted.

Didn't have you down as a motorbike rider, Reality!
Original post by Oxford Mum
Didn't have you down as a motorbike rider, Reality!

Strictly a fair weather biker. The slightest hint of rain/wind/cold and it's a car journey :laugh: So that's essentially June, July, August and maybe a bit of September.
Literally the same for me. Im normally right on the 30 mark and people are right up the back end of me, i think my cars speedo is a little low so its actually less than 30. But even then people go by me at such a speed. I think is that really 30 or more like 40
What do you mean why lol
Speeding has become more of an issue given that in the first few weeks of restrictions, there were fewer cars on the road. Something one of the police forces (cannot remember which one) commented on.

Unfortunately it is not seen as something serious, given that what I term the friends of Top Gear view what you do with a car as some kind of human right to be reckless. Speeding over 70 mph could be stopped by compulsory speed limiters, but I can imagine the outcry if that was proposed by any government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending