The Student Room Group

I want to become a lecturer but I have a lot of tattoos

So, I have 10 large tattoos distributed all over my body. On one arm, I actually have a full-on sleeve (i.e. tattoo all over the arm). I'm really into academia and I take that part of my life EXTREMELY seriously. Do you think that in the academic world, I will be judged for having tattoos? Should I attempt to hide them during my entire PhD education which starts in September?

I love my tattoos and I don't regret any of them but I just want to know if this will be viewed negatively and if I should make the effort to hide them which will be hard in summer as I will be forced to wear long sleeves on hot days.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So, I have 10 large tattoos distributed all over my body. On one arm, I actually have a full-on sleeve (i.e. tattoo all over the arm). I'm really into academia and I take that part of my life EXTREMELY seriously. Do you think that in the academic world, I will be judged for having tattoos? Should I attempt to hide them during my entire PhD education which starts in September?

I love my tattoos and I don't regret any of them but I just want to know if this will be viewed negatively and if I should make the effort to hide them which will be hard in summer as I will be forced to wear long sleeves on hot days.

Hi, in my opinion for formal occasions ie interview I would attempt to cover your tattoos. I wouldn't bother too much after that as they will get to know you. But I wouldn’t think you would be judged at all but I think it will look more professional if you have it covered during formal occasions they will be more interested in your personality
Reply 2
Original post by Newyorkiscool
Hi, in my opinion for formal occasions ie interview I would attempt to cover your tattoos. I wouldn't bother too much after that as they will get to know you. But I wouldn’t think you would be judged at all but I think it will look more professional if you have it covered during formal occasions they will be more interested in your personality

I doubt people in the university environment would judge you. In many professions visible tattoos or piercings are forbidden and this is perfectly reasonable. For you I suspect it won't be a problem.
Reply 4
Original post by ChrisW99
I doubt people in the university environment would judge you. In many professions visible tattoos or piercings are forbidden and this is perfectly reasonable. For you I suspect it won't be a problem.

That's good to know. Thanks :smile:
That's good to know. Thanks :smile:

It seems unlikely fellow lecturers would mind and I doubt students would be bothered. That would be my guess.
Reply 6
It seems unlikely fellow lecturers would mind and I doubt students would be bothered. That would be my guess.

Some lecturers can be really traditional but I can figure my way around that, I guess
Some lecturers can be really traditional but I can figure my way around that, I guess

Most are very left-leaning and would probably view tattooed people as an oppressed minority group.
Reply 8
Of course not, I have many lectures with tattoos and if anything it makes them more interesting. If you absolutely have to cover them up you can just wear long sleeves.
Reply 9
Original post by raven48
Of course not, I have many lectures with tattoos and if anything it makes them more interesting. If you absolutely have to cover them up you can just wear long sleeves.

It's cool that you find them interesting, this is comforting to hear :smile:
Most are very left-leaning and would probably view tattooed people as an oppressed minority group.

I think there are two camps of academics, the more serious and traditional ones or the left-leaning and open-minded ones. This is from my experience but I go to a very stuffy and conventional university so I have no clue how it is in the new and more modern ones such as LSE, SOAS, Manchester, etc.
lol my father just told me that he also thinks i should wear long sleeves all the time because its a professional setting... my life is going to be hell in summers:facepalm:
Reply 12
It'll be the crap job market that causes you issues, not your tattoos. I have done 5 years teaching in academia with no issue at all, I have a full arm and a half full arm.
Original post by gjd800
It'll be the crap job market that causes you issues, not your tattoos. I have done 5 years teaching in academia with no issue at all, I have a full arm and a half full arm.

That is good to hear. I know that the crap job market will be a major issue but, for now, I'm just really fixated on the idea that I will be judged by my sleeve throughout my PhD education and be considered as a 'less serious' contender than other more academically looking students or that my ideas will be taken lightly by some of the really traditional academics (i've met my fair share of those i tell you)
Original post by gjd800

I was literally about to go "I know someone who could help you here..."

:laugh:
Reply 15
That is good to hear. I know that the crap job market will be a major issue but, for now, I'm just really fixated on the idea that I will be judged by my sleeve throughout my PhD education and be considered as a 'less serious' contender than other more academically looking students or that my ideas will be taken lightly by some of the really traditional academics (i've met my fair share of those i tell you)

More likely to get grief based on your accent and perceived class background than on tattoos, in my experience

It is sensible to play it by ear - use your common sense and trust your gut, especially re interviews or whatnot. But in general, very few people will be bothered by tattoos
Original post by Reality Check
I was literally about to go "I know someone who could help you here..."

:laugh:

Oh, who was it?! :lol:
Original post by gjd800

Oh, who was it?! :lol:

:laugh: - , mate. 90% covered I believe.
Reply 17
:laugh: - @SomeoneSay, mate. 90% covered I believe.

:lol: :lol:
Original post by gjd800
More likely to get grief based on your accent and perceived class background than on tattoos, in my experience

It is sensible to play it by ear - use your common sense and trust your gut, especially re interviews or whatnot. But in general, very few people will be bothered by tattoos

All right, thanks for your insight mate!
:laugh: - @SomeoneSay, mate. 90% covered I believe.

That is literally the dream but I should hold my horses I suppose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending