The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Plenty of threads on this in the Armed Forces forum on here (under 'Careers and Jobs').

Ex-military myself, so, briefly, what does the guy do, officer or not, and where is he based? Just asking as it will help shape a more detailed answer.

However, you need to ask him plenty of questions and make sure you understand what his career path is likely to be, where he could be working and how long for (as he will move around to different bases for jobs, frequency depends on his role), and the possibility of going overseas on deployments. Know that him taking some time off (called 'leave') when he wants isn't guaranteed, and shifts and additional duties can also stop him being readily available to talk in an evening or be free at weekends. I'm not saying relationships cant work with someone in the Forces, but communication is key, so find out more straight from the horse's mouth.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Plenty of threads on this in the Armed Forces forum on here (under 'Careers and Jobs').

Ex-military myself, so, briefly, what does the guy do, officer or not, and where is he based? Just asking as it will help shape a more detailed answer.

However, you need to ask him plenty of questions and make sure you understand what his career path is likely to be, where he could be working and how long for (as he will move around to different bases for jobs, frequency depends on his role), and the possibility of going overseas on deployments. Know that him taking some time off (called 'leave') when he wants isn't guaranteed, and shifts and additional duties can also stop him being readily available to talk in an evening or be free at weekends. I'm not saying relationships cant work with someone in the Forces, but communication is key, so find out more straight from the horse's mouth.

Thanks for your response. I don't want to disclose specifics. However, he does get deployed fairly regularly.

I think I already assumed some of this to be the case anyway. We had a discussion very early on around him not being able to date someone independent or comfortable in their own company. I've never criticised him for not being able to talk to me constantly, as I wouldn't want him to feel like he has to be messaging/talking to me 24/7. I think because I am so flexible in my work, but also very busy (I am also a part time student on top of full time working commitments) that I can manage that side of things fine. I guess I just wanted to post to address any preconceptions someone may have around dating someone in the military? I think part of my concern does stem at the fact that we're not officially in a relationship, so there's a discomfort around what will happen when he does return from deployment. For example, he's been deployed for a few weeks now, so I've had no contact with him, however my mind is running a lot thinking 'what if he doesn't get in contact when he comes home?'...

Not really too sure if any of this makes sense. Hopefully I don't seem crazy here haha
Reply 3
I didn't expect specifics on a public forum, just Army, Navy or RAF, officer or not, logs, admin, tech. If you weren't familiar it's just easier for me to say things like who moves more frequently and where, because some jobs have a limited no of locations.

It's not crazy at all to ask this. I've seen a lot of posts along these lines because of the Armed Forces being kind of a closed shop. You regularly see and have contact with a lot of careers that people go into, but it's not like you can get onto a base to see what happens there or meet many military people in real life if you aren't near where they are stationed.

Did he not want to keep in touch whilst away, did he say he couldn't? It's difficult but not impossible to keep in touch; some places ban use of personal mobile phones, but have landlines and issue a phone card with credit, and there's e-blueys, and use of the British Forces Post Office (BFPO) to send letters and parcels to the middle of nowhere (as an aside, if he's away for a few months and open to the idea, sweets, toiletries and magazines are good to send, but check the rules concerning what is allowed). In the context of not contacting you when he gets back, equally, he could be posted to the opposite end of the country to you and just drop out of your life. It's really no different to any other LDR, say if you were dating someone at another uni or who travelled for work, in that anyone who doesn't 'come home at night' could cut off communication at any time. I would just talk to him more about how long he is away for, what his plans are when he gets back, what is coming up next at work. Have you been to visit him on base? If not, it's worth doing; say you want to get a feel for his lifestyle and see how it all fits together with the different sections. If he's a sergeant or above, or an officer, then some of the traditional Messes are an experience, also the formal functions there.

I met my boyfriend whilst were both serving and had a lot of time apart and you know, sometimes it's nothing to do with being in the military and everything to with just being a bloke that they don't talk much or tell you stuff!

I hope this is helping, feel free to ask anything else.
Reply 4
I would agree with what Surnia says, Anonymous.

It would be helpful if you were able to say which of the Armed Forces he is with, however. If he is a Submariner, that is really a special category of its own; there are some submarine deployments when there is no contact as you would normally understand the word to mean - on those deployments, all that is available is the opportunity to send a FamlyGram of a few words for the submarine to pick up as and when and there are no replies, for obvious reasons. Some women have actually told me that being the partner of a submariner works well for them, because they know that there will be a block of, say, ten weeks when there is no contact and he's just not there. They can organise those weeks fairly well. The partners who can find the going most hard are the ones where there is much less certainty (Life In A Blue Suit). It's especially hard when there are children involved. Organising things like a wedding or a holiday can be a nightmare, because the needs of the Service will always take priority.

There are organisations which seek to support partners and families; the Navy has the Naval Service Family and People Support (Welfare); the Naval Families Federation offers support too. There is a NFF Magazine which I can give you the link to - I think that the AFF have something similar.

I've realised that what I'm actually talking about in the above is how things are when people are in established relationships and you are actually just starting out with this guy.

There is one thing I would say and I hope that you will understand, but do make sure that everything is above board. You say that he is deployed at the moment but that you have heard nothing from him at all. I can only speak from a Naval perspective as that is all I know about, but I would have said that no messages at all for, say, 4 weeks, would be a bit unusual for ships (but not for certain submarines, of course).

Could you say at least which of the Armed Forces he is with?
Reply 5
As you say, I am just starting out with this guy. He's in the Army, but he's not allowed his personal mobile while he's away at the moment, I also believe that it's something to do with the nature of his work. I've not been told many details around it at all, but I believe a lot of it is confidential hence why I've not been told much. A couple of weeks before he left he told me he's not able to contact me while he's away (I didn't ask, he just informed me during a discussion around him going). As I am just starting out with him, I didn't insist that he gets in contact while he is away even if there were methods to allow him to. I simply just asked that he gets in contact when he returns home. I'm quite content in not having any contact with him while he's gone, because as you say, it's almost easier to handle. I think its the fact that as it is so early at the minute that I'm just kind of questioning certain things I guess.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
As you say, I am just starting out with this guy. He's in the Army, but he's not allowed his personal mobile while he's away at the moment, I also believe that it's something to do with the nature of his work. I've not been told many details around it at all, but I believe a lot of it is confidential hence why I've not been told much. A couple of weeks before he left he told me he's not able to contact me while he's away (I didn't ask, he just informed me during a discussion around him going). As I am just starting out with him, I didn't insist that he gets in contact while he is away even if there were methods to allow him to. I simply just asked that he gets in contact when he returns home. I'm quite content in not having any contact with him while he's gone, because as you say, it's almost easier to handle. I think its the fact that as it is so early at the minute that I'm just kind of questioning certain things I guess.

How did you first meet him? I was wondering whether you had any mutual friends?
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
How did you first meet him? I was wondering whether you had any mutual friends?

No mutual friends, met online.
Reply 8
No mutual friends, met online.

Oh, I see. How long have you known him?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
Oh, I see. How long have you known him?

A few months now, we met online a few weeks before lockdown. We'd met a few times in person, and then lockdown happened and I saw him once before he went away (with social distancing of course). I almost feel like it would be easier if I did have mutual friends with him, or at least friends who are or have been in a similar position, but I don't unfortunately.
I've been in a relationship with a submariner for over 30 years but it's undoubtedly been easier as I am also ex-RN. I may not hear from him for more than 10 weeks, or I may unexpectedly get a call ('we're just transiting through Suez so I thought I'd give you a call. Is my Dad dead yet?') at the most awkward times but you have to take what you can get. The maximum he's been away without me seeing him was a bit over 6 months.

The lack of control over a relationship can be a problem and (particularly if you don't have a similar background) it can be hard to judge if their silences are genuinely operational or they're just spinning you a line. There is a temptation for them to big up the clandestine nature of their role. That may not be because they're trying to hide stuff, it just makes them sound more exciting - in the same way that huge numbers of the RAF claim to be pilots when you first meet them despite barely ever seeing the inside of a plane. When asked, our kids always cloud what their father's doing in a cloak of exciting secrecy even when they know he's in a desk job in Bristol.

It requires quite a lot of trust and you have to accept being the passive one in making contact and agreeing to meet. That can be hard. If the relationship progresses then you may find you have to develop 2 personalities, in my case the capable single mother who copes with a job, 4 kids and mends the washing machine but a slightly less competent wife who's really pleased he's home because we've missed him and can't quite cope without him (people need to feel needed). The week after he's left and the week before he comes home from a deployment are hardest as you are busy converting yourself to your alter ego. In between you settle in and, if he's away, learn to forget about him. He'll do the same - when you're away home life doesn't seem very relevant and it's just another world - different job, different people, different rhythms. Once, before he deployed, my husband said 'Ill try to remember to miss you' and, having also been the one to deploy when he stayed at home, I knew just what he meant.
Original post by Compost
I've been in a relationship with a submariner for over 30 years but it's undoubtedly been easier as I am also ex-RN. I may not hear from him for more than 10 weeks, or I may unexpectedly get a call ('we're just transiting through Suez so I thought I'd give you a call. Is my Dad dead yet?') at the most awkward times but you have to take what you can get. The maximum he's been away without me seeing him was a bit over 6 months.

The lack of control over a relationship can be a problem and (particularly if you don't have a similar background) it can be hard to judge if their silences are genuinely operational or they're just spinning you a line. There is a temptation for them to big up the clandestine nature of their role. That may not be because they're trying to hide stuff, it just makes them sound more exciting - in the same way that huge numbers of the RAF claim to be pilots when you first meet them despite barely ever seeing the inside of a plane. When asked, our kids always cloud what their father's doing in a cloak of exciting secrecy even when they know he's in a desk job in Bristol.

It requires quite a lot of trust and you have to accept being the passive one in making contact and agreeing to meet. That can be hard. If the relationship progresses then you may find you have to develop 2 personalities, in my case the capable single mother who copes with a job, 4 kids and mends the washing machine but a slightly less competent wife who's really pleased he's home because we've missed him and can't quite cope without him (people need to feel needed). The week after he's left and the week before he comes home from a deployment are hardest as you are busy converting yourself to your alter ego. In between you settle in and, if he's away, learn to forget about him. He'll do the same - when you're away home life doesn't seem very relevant and it's just another world - different job, different people, different rhythms. Once, before he deployed, my husband said 'Ill try to remember to miss you' and, having also been the one to deploy when he stayed at home, I knew just what he meant.

I really appreciate this post. I'm not expecting him to miss me at all, people have asked me if I am going to ask him if he missed me when he returns and I've always said no, purely for the reason that he's away with work in a very full on job and he most likely forgets about what's back home until he's actually set foot back in the country again. People think I'm crazy for even getting involved with him let alone waiting around for him to return when I don't even know if he will get in contact, given that we're not in a relationship, but I think I'd rather be in a position of being let down, than have him return, get in contact and letting him down instead.

I also really appreciate your line about 'silences being genuinely operational or if they're spinning me a line'. I think at the minute, as we are so early days, I have no reason not to trust him by his word. As you say, as someone not from that background, I have no idea what actually goes on day to day, and if things progress then I may gain more understanding into this. I agree with being the passive one, it's not something I've ever experienced before but I can't say it's something I'm majorly uncomfortable with at the minute. This may be because it's early days too.

I feel like even though I'm not in a relationship with him, I almost have developed this 'alter ego' that you speak of. When he first left, for around a week or so, I was a little unsure of what to do with myself. I kind of just plodded along, didn't know who to text/talk to because I didn't want to feel like I was stepping over a line, and kind of just thought a lot more about him. Now it's been a couple of weeks, I feel quite content, I'm busy all the time, I only really think of him when people ask me about him, but when people ask me about him that's when the whole 'will he get in contact when he comes home' thought comes in. It's the uncertainty in that sense. I don't actually know when he's going to be home, he wasn't sure himself. He kind of just said 'I'll pop up out of nowhere one day once you've forgotten about me and you'll be like who on earth is this stranger' which I found quite funny at the time. But the more I think of it, the more I think he just won't bother.

Thank you for your post, it was actually a very refreshing read.
I really appreciate this post. I'm not expecting him to miss me at all, people have asked me if I am going to ask him if he missed me when he returns and I've always said no, purely for the reason that he's away with work in a very full on job and he most likely forgets about what's back home until he's actually set foot back in the country again. People think I'm crazy for even getting involved with him let alone waiting around for him to return when I don't even know if he will get in contact, given that we're not in a relationship, but I think I'd rather be in a position of being let down, than have him return, get in contact and letting him down instead.

I also really appreciate your line about 'silences being genuinely operational or if they're spinning me a line'. I think at the minute, as we are so early days, I have no reason not to trust him by his word. As you say, as someone not from that background, I have no idea what actually goes on day to day, and if things progress then I may gain more understanding into this. I agree with being the passive one, it's not something I've ever experienced before but I can't say it's something I'm majorly uncomfortable with at the minute. This may be because it's early days too.

I feel like even though I'm not in a relationship with him, I almost have developed this 'alter ego' that you speak of. When he first left, for around a week or so, I was a little unsure of what to do with myself. I kind of just plodded along, didn't know who to text/talk to because I didn't want to feel like I was stepping over a line, and kind of just thought a lot more about him. Now it's been a couple of weeks, I feel quite content, I'm busy all the time, I only really think of him when people ask me about him, but when people ask me about him that's when the whole 'will he get in contact when he comes home' thought comes in. It's the uncertainty in that sense. I don't actually know when he's going to be home, he wasn't sure himself. He kind of just said 'I'll pop up out of nowhere one day once you've forgotten about me and you'll be like who on earth is this stranger' which I found quite funny at the time. But the more I think of it, the more I think he just won't bother.

Thank you for your post, it was actually a very refreshing read.

Happy if I've helped. It can be an odd way to live your life but people get used to almost anything. I remember finding it funny when one of my kids came home from school, aged about 7 and said, with eyes full of amazement. 'Do you know, Philip's daddy comes home EVERY night' as if it was the weirdest thing ever.
Reply 13
The one thing I did want to ask was whether you have 'normal' contact with him when he's not deployed. By that I mean exchanging texts and emails and sometimes speaking to each other on your mobiles.

That would be a good sign.
Original post by Kerzen
The one thing I did want to ask was whether you have 'normal' contact with him when he's not deployed. By that I mean exchanging texts and emails and sometimes speaking to each other on your mobiles.

Yes, we had somewhat normal contact while he wasn't deployed. We spoke everyday via text, video chatted a few times too. His texts were sometimes delayed for a few hours but it's nothing I didn't expect. Often our conversations carried over from the day before, rather than saying goodnight every evening and good morning every morning.
Original post by Kerzen

If he's not in a submarine then he's generally pretty contactable (Bizarrely for a submariner) he's done a couple of tours of Afghanistan and there, as he was in a desk job in Kabul, we had far better contact with him than we did when he's in a submarine. We could even Skype (though the bandwidth didn't really support cameras) and the parcel delivery service was decent so we could send malt loaf and hand cream and other stuff he missed. However, different roles in the military can be very different so don't take this as the norm.

(A previous poster mentioned family grams for submariners. In my opinion they're generally a bad idea. 40 words a week, including 2 for surname and rank. There's little useful you can say in 38 words and anything potentially upsetting they suppress (no point worrying you if you're not going to get a chance to talk for another 6 or 7 weeks - they tell you about 24 hours out from port) so if you normally send family grams and one week they don't get one they automatically assume the worst. I only sent them when there was something I needed to say. That way no one worried.
Reply 16

I can understand him being wary in the early days, but you should be wary if it carries on like this when you are getting more established. He will have an idea of deployment dates and, after all, you can go on any of the British Armed Forces websites and find out most of what they are doing in the world! Whilst we are taking a defensive stance in places it's not like we're there primarily to fight.

I'll echo the sentiment of people bigging things up. I was once out drinking with some fellow officers and met some young airmen in a club. They admitted to being in the RAF, and I did recognise some of them, but they didn't know me and none of my friends let on who we were; we just did the girly "ooh, are you a pilot?" and let them spout their BS. Imagine the reaction when I met some of them at work the next day and started quoting back what had been said.....

No mobiles is standard for certain places and not just because someone is doing a particularly special sneaky-beaky job. I had to do this when working abroad, in an allied country, well away from the front line. It's for general security because people can unthinkingly give away sensitive information, like their locations by using fitness trackers or posting details on social media, like the time of their flight out of an Iraqi airport! Not to mention the chaos caused by posting about a one-night stand on a Facebook account that their wife can view. It applies to everyone because even the officers, who should know better, can fall foul of the rules. Equally, I've also had an office job in the UK which I couldn't discuss with family; it was literally a yes or no answer to "Did work go ok today?"

Fair enough if you are happy with the status quo, but it can't always go on like this. You also need to be careful to keep a balance when you do meet up. It's tempting to keep it a little social bubble of just the 2 of you, little gifts, special meals, but sometimes he might want a bit of quiet, pizza in front of the tv, and do some laundry, just to have some normality away from routine and Mess life. It will be later on that you find out what is sustainable. There will come a point when you have to have a serious discussion about whether it will work and, if so, how. Not even spouses necessarily move to follow their other halves in uniform, because they have their own job and can't keep moving around, and have a house and provide some stability. Even when you're both in uniform, it doesn't make it easy, because you know what will happen and what could happen. My boyfriend deployed regularly and one time when he phoned to say goodbye 'Brothers in Arms' came on the radio at work; finished the call, shouted "going for lunch" and legged it to compose myself in the loo.

Just keep the lines of communication open, and don't be afraid to ask more questions and the difficult questions.
Hi Anonymous,

I hope you are well- apologies for posting on an old thread but I'm in a remarkably similar situation myself and from reading your posts, I think I'm in a similar headspace to the one that you were in. I love my space and independence, but the lack of certainly over if I will hear from them again is odd. Can I ask how your situation panned out? Did you hear from the military man again?

Latest

Trending

Trending