The Student Room Group

Shes 16 and im 19. Alright pal?

Basically theres a lassie i like but shes only 16 and am 19. I want to ask her out but im apprehensive as people might frown upon me going out wae someone so young. I really fancy her and she does look older than 16. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She is legal so no problem.
Alba Gu Brath
Basically theres a lassie i like but shes only 16 and am 19. I want to ask her out but im apprehensive as people might frown upon me going out wae someone so young. I really fancy her and she does look older than 16. Any advice?

It's acceptable.

I would only frown upon a couple where one was greater than 18 and one was less that 16.

Go for it.
youll get slaughtered for it mate. but i know where you stand. im 19 too, ask yourself this tho. if you were 18 and she was 15 what would u do

and technicaly 17 is legal for girls 16 for guys

*oops just read up on it 17 here in northern ireland. 16 over there
Age is just a number. I'm nearly 25 and my boyfriend is 22, he was a teenager when we hooked up.
If she likes you, then go for it, but you may get a few raised eyebrows.
Just don't try and take advantage of her... Prove the doubters wrong!
Reply 5
It's completely up to you. yes you will get comments on the age difference, but if you like her enough you can put up with it.

you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, don't let others dictate your life and keep you from doing things you want.

In ten years time, that age difference will mean absolutely nothing. think about it that way.
Reply 6
Half plus seven rule, aka the rule of social acceptability:

Half your age plus seven is the lowest her age should be.

EDIT: Major error in memory recall there :smile:
Reply 7
Go for it, i'd be weary about shouting it around with your mates but it should be fine.

But you gotta remember you won't be able to take her to clubs and the like.

I went out with a 14 year old (when i was 17), worse age difference but the best relationship i've had...

:clip:
Reply 8
yeah mate nothing illegal about it if you really like here go for it! but guaranteed u will get enough stick for it depending on what your social circle are like.
personally in my circle it would be hugely frowned upon... a uni bloke going out with someone who just did their gcses? bit....to much
Sounds fine to me.
I'm 16 and am involved with someone who's 20.
iamsam

If half her age plus seven is more than or equal to your own age, it's considered OK.

What's that all about, my parents are both 48, so in your opinion that's not OK. :confused:
Reply 11
When is she 17? You will be 20 so 17 and 20 sounds fine.
Reply 12
iamsam

If half her age plus seven is more than or equal to your own age, it's considered OK.

what?
Reply 13
iamsam

So two 18 years olds are socially unacceptable as half plus seven is 16 :s-smilie:
Reply 14
iamsam

Whaaat? :s-smilie:
That's mathematically insane, surely...
theres 3 yrs with me and my bf, just dont take advantage, and dont listen to some stupid people who may say stupid things.
Reply 16
Go for it. When I was 16, my boyfriend was 19 too. Who cares about everyone else anyway. :smile:
Reply 17
iamsam

If half your age plus seven is less than or equal to her age, it's considered OK.

Should be like this? :p:
Reply 18
nempozpag
Whaaat? :s-smilie:
That's mathematically insane, surely...

thats ehat i thought when i read it

Everyone is socially unacceptable unless there's like teo decades difference :laughing:
The bold sheep
youll get slaughtered for it mate. but i know where you stand. im 19 too, ask yourself this tho. if you were 18 and she was 15 what would u do

and technicaly 17 is legal for girls 16 for guys

*oops just read up on it 17 here in northern ireland. 16 over there

it depends on their maturity not on the day they were born

we're talking about a relationship not sex (yet) 18 15 is fine in my eyes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending