The Student Room Group

Does it matter when you apply for a masters?

For example If the application is at the end of August- could the course already be full? Would they still advertise they had places even tho they didn’t? I’m applying for my masters because I’ve received my uni results and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do one before. Am I at a disadvantage now?
Original post by hollyoaks678
For example If the application is at the end of August- could the course already be full? Would they still advertise they had places even tho they didn’t? I’m applying for my masters because I’ve received my uni results and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do one before. Am I at a disadvantage now?

Postgraduate recruitment is more 'year round' than undergraduate, and the application process and deadlines aren't as strict. So you're unlikely to find yourself at too much of a disadvantage if you apply for your Masters now - plenty of courses will still have places available.

That said, as with undergraduate, popular Masters-level courses can fill up and some courses are more competitive than others, so there might be a longer application and interview process you would need to undergo in order to be accepted onto the course. So it really depends what course you want to do and at what university. If a course is still being advertised for 2020/21 entry though, the chances are there are still places available and you have time to apply.

I'd also recommend getting in your application for any Masters Loan sooner rather than later - Student Finance will need time to process this and that can take a few weeks.

Good luck with the applications!

Amy :smile:
Original post by hollyoaks678

You should apply. I would be surprised if all Masters courses for your subject are full. Most masters courses rely on international applicants (unis charge them more than UK students) but the international applications are down this year because of covid. Hence you stand a better than average chance of getting in.

End of August is leaving it a bit late though.
Original post by mike23mike
You should apply. I would be surprised if all Masters courses for your subject are full. Most masters courses rely on international applicants (unis charge them more than UK students) but the international applications are down this year because of covid. Hence you stand a better than average chance of getting in.

End of August is leaving it a bit late though.

Oh yeah I’m not applying them I’ll be applying at the end of this week latest! That’s true actually never thought about that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending