The Student Room Group

Can I Ask For New Antibiotics?

So the other day I called my GP with symptoms, which I thought were BV, but now it is more apparent that it’s a UTI. She gave me Metronidazole, which i’ve been taking for a day now, but I don’t think Metronidazole treats UTIs. If I call and explain, do you think she will give me new medication? Or am I best off going to a Chemist?
I think see how the medication helps, and if it does nothing, call again and see what she says. If that's no help either, then I'd visit the chemist. Check with the GP first, though. Hope you feel better soon! xx
Original post by Anonymous
So the other day I called my GP with symptoms, which I thought were BV, but now it is more apparent that it’s a UTI. She gave me Metronidazole, which i’ve been taking for a day now, but I don’t think Metronidazole treats UTIs. If I call and explain, do you think she will give me new medication? Or am I best off going to a Chemist?

I think you’re best listening to the doctor. Metronidazole can be used to treat a variety of things as well as bacterial infections - a UTI is a bacterial infection.
Reply 3
Your GP will probably encourage your to complete the course of antibiotics first before prescribing anything else. If you still have symptoms or need advise after this course, make another appointment and explain, I’m sure they’ll be happy to help.
Original post by Anonymous

as someone who has dealt with a lot of UTIs in community and in hospital, here is my advice:
the choice of drugs used to treat UTIs varies from place to place due to antimicrobial resistance to certain antibiotics (or as Ill call them ABs) and what microorganism is causing it. generally speaking, trimethoprim or nitrofurantoin tend to be 1st choice of treatment for UTIs and you do see metronidazole used in certain cases. I would say stick with metronidazole (im guessing your havign 400mg 3 times a day (every 8 hours)). be aware with metronidazole that you should always avoid alcohol with it as you can get some nasty side-effects. If your still in need of something else, they may prescribe 1 of the 2 of the previously mentioned drugs.

If you want to learn what antibiotics are used to treat different conditions in your area, you can download an app used in hospitals called microguide, type in your local NHS provider into microguide and find out what choices they use for different conditions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Finish your course first and then let the doctor know but usually trimethoprim is first line for uti’s. Metronidazole is first line for BV.

Quick Reply

Latest